C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

new ds panel not hooking well, top left

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:00 PM
murray59
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new ds panel not hooking well, top left

When I bought my 94 the top of the ds panel was coming away from the door. The PO said the guy who put the window tint on scewed up the panel. I pulled it off today and it has epoxy build up reinforcing the ribs as well as in several other places. Looks like the tinter couldn't find the last screw and gave the panel a tug. Yeesh. It also had 3 screws added at the botton between the pushins.

Anyway I was fortunate to buy a mint replacement on Ebay this winter. No cracks in the ribs but I think I'll do the metal reinforcement thing now rather than later. ( I saw this mod on another thread)

Question: I'm wondering if there is some kind of fix or a trick to help this thing hook better at the top, especially near the left side. I set my new panel on and pushed downward but it just doesn't seem to hook very well.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:21 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Murray, I am working on mine as we speak.......sorta. I just made a strip about 1" with fiberglass and am waiting for it to dry. I am gonna use it to form/widen the lip on the door panel especially on the LH side where Corvette America apparently trimmed the lip with a Zip tool and cut Waayyy too much off IMO. I am pretty dissatisfied with this $350 junk they sell. Quality control was asleep I think. Once the upper trim went on you couldnt tell the lip was bad but it even looks like the panel wasnt molded right. If you have an OEM panel maybe this wont be your problem.

After the strip hardens, I will lay in a little bit of glass on the bottom of the upper side of the panel, then try and use the strip to form a lip that will work. The panel is warped so its gonna be a challenge.

A Forum member told me about a TSB issued by GM about the panels not clipping right. They had made some type of clip to fit the door panel lip to help with it staying put. He couldnt get the info or look for the clips right then but hopefully he will get back with me.

If I have good results with the repair, I will post some pics later.

Quick Reply: new ds panel not hooking well, top left