Royal Purple?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 09:32 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Location: And on the fifth day, subpoenas were served to Obama senior staff
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Royal Purple? (Eric 96)

Eric that is great! Go look into the recent studies of synthetic oil in piston aircraft engines! Look into the problems that are being studied recently. You will enjoy this! Don't get too hung up on the leaded fuel issue, but study the findings.

You are gonna love this!

Pete
Old 03-15-2002, 10:07 PM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: Royal Purple? (VetteBabe1)

Jenn

Most of use that have the LT5 use the Red Line 10W40 synthetic oil. The price of this oil retails for $7.95 a quart, but through some of the clubs you can get it about $6.00 a quart. And yes 9 quarts of it for the LT5.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:16 PM
VetteBabe1
Safety Car

Default Re: Royal Purple? (SPEEDEMON)

Oh, so you'd recommend the Redline for the LT5? I will do whatever is best. I don't think it's even got synthetic in it right now, :mad ... but only 800 miles since the last oil change (supposedly) ... but I am thinking about doing it anyway. I started Zaino-ing it today and it looks hot shiat, so I am even more inclined to spruce it up. I wanted to drive it today but it looked so good I didn't want to move it. :)

PeteL, I am glad you finally decided I am not a guy named Ralph. Would this be an appropriate time to say I told you so!? ;) :cheers:

[Modified by VetteBabe1, 8:20 PM 3/15/2002]
Old 03-15-2002, 10:34 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Would this be an appropriate time to say I told you so!?
Could have all been "marketing" :lol: Admit the specifications turned out to be extraordinary. :yesnod:

But don't mind me, I'm just old and very grumpy. Happens.

Pete
Old 03-15-2002, 11:00 PM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Jenn

Red Line oil is what most of us use in the LT5 for our ZR-1’s. If I were you, I would have change it soon. You don’t know what’s in there so be safe and put something that you know is good, if not it’s for reassurance just to make sure you have good oil in it. If you don’t go with Red Line then go with any good synthetic oil preferably an Ester base not a Synthesized Hydrocarbons. Red Line and Amsoil is an Ester base, I don’t know too much about Royal Purple. Like I said a lot of us use the Red Line oil which I have heard the Red Line did some test using the LT5 engine.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:46 PM
PeteL
Le Mans Master

Red Line oil is what most of us use in the LT5 for our ZR-1’s
Sorry, that's just the type of post that I have to challange.

Not only is the quote inaccurate, but EVEN IF it was accurate, who the heck cares. Do we honestly think that our decision should be guided by what the ignorant masses deciede to follow? I think not. Look into the oil you use, don't listen to the "sheep" as another post on the forum called certain oil users.

"Most" folk do not use RedLine Oil in their LT5. Stop being a sales source for a company unless you are getting compensated. If you have technical information such as oil analysis results then post it.

I included RedLine as a possible source, but qualified my post by saying that personal choice with OIL ANALYSIS would determine if any given choice was best for a specific engine and oil (not to mention use).

This is exactly why you need guys like me to challange post like this. There is just plain no rational discussion of oil possible.

Pete
Old 03-15-2002, 11:50 PM
365ZUM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

PeteL- Your dead on with this one! Good post. :cheers:
Old 03-16-2002, 12:13 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Default Re: Royal Purple? (PeteL)

Hey Pete

I’m not here to argue with you, if you want to argue then do it with Valdez or someone like that. The members in Team ZR-1, which most do use the Red Line oil. So if you want to start a war take it somewhere else. If you read Jenn’s posting what she should use I’m recommending the Red Line oil. I’m wondering if you even know the difference between an Ester base and Synthesized Hydrocarbons. Let’s hear Pete; let’s hear you explain the difference in these two! And one other thing I do not get compensated as you mentioned.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:22 AM
CowboyNVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Royal Purple? (PeteL)

PeteL I was wondering when you were gonna catch that one :lol: I agree, just because your friend jumps off the bridge doesn't mean everyone else should follow... :lol:
Old 03-16-2002, 12:28 AM
VetteBabe1
Safety Car

Default Re: Royal Purple? (CowboyNVette)

REEEEEAAAAAAARRRRRRR *mad cat noise* :lol:
Old 03-16-2002, 08:08 AM
Eric 96
Safety Car

This Thread has me laughing as each day goes on! But its very interesting.
Pete, what do you do for a living, and what is your educational background? If I may ask?
Old 03-16-2002, 09:43 AM
Valdez
Advanced

Eric

That’s I wondered? This is what I’m talking about, what is he a chemist, how much does he really know? This guy seems to know more than a chemist. What is he the Einstein’s of the oil industry? I seen a lot see his post in the past trying insulting and intimidating other members like he knows it all. . Does he have any chemist back ground, or is this just Petrol Jock working at Jiffy lube? No this is just a big walking vibrator that doesn’t have a life and spend his time on the forum arguing about what he knows or doesn’t know. He does not respect anyone’s opinion. He’ll argue with you until he gets his last words in. He thrives on confrontation Eric.

Eric, this is what happened to the last guy that thought he was a chemist!

[Modified by Valdez, 5:20 AM 3/16/2002]
Old 03-16-2002, 03:25 PM
VetteNoob
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Royal Purple? (Valdez)

Valdez, not picking a fight with you, but why dont we stay on the subject of oil. Pete's comments have been oil related (true or not) and many of us find the info at least something to consider. Nothing is gospel here. We're all just here tying to help each other out. A little advice here, and there...know what I mean? If you got some info on the oil, we would love to hear it, but if you got a beef with someone's credentials, post them in OT or something and let this thread stay on the subject of oil. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2002, 06:49 PM
Silver 96
Le Mans Master

Hey Pete

I’m not here to argue with you, if you want to argue then do it with Valdez or someone like that. The members in Team ZR-1, which most do use the Red Line oil. So if you want to start a war take it somewhere else. If you read Jenn’s posting what she should use I’m recommending the Red Line oil. I’m wondering if you even know the difference between an Ester base and Synthesized Hydrocarbons. Let’s hear Pete; let’s hear you explain the difference in these two! And one other thing I do not get compensated as you mentioned.
SPEEDEMON:
Can you tell us why the majority of ZR1 owners use redline? Are these reasons applicable to LT1 or LT4 engines, or for that matter LPE modified engines like mine? Is PeteL correct in his statement that redline does not meet GM4718M?

Anybody: Do Amsoil or Royal Purple meet these standards?

I want to use the best product in my car and all I've learned for sure so far is that the product that I currently use is the worst according to a test devised by their competition. :confused:

P.S.

What is the difference between an Ester base and Synthesized Hydrocarbons??

[Modified by Silver 96, 3:53 PM 3/16/2002]
Old 03-17-2002, 01:28 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Default Re: Royal Purple? (Silver 96)

Bob

If you want to e-mail me your phone number I'll give you a call and we can talk about it. I'm done with this here.
Old 03-18-2002, 01:09 AM
Valdez
Advanced

Pete, what do you do for a living, and what is your educational background? If I may ask?
I’m wondering if you even know the difference between an Ester base and Synthesized Hydrocarbons. Let’s hear Pete; let’s hear you explain the difference in these two!

Hey Guys

Any answers from Pete yet? Wondered if he'll answer these questions? Did we hear the last of him or did he climb back into his crib?

[Modified by Valdez, 9:32 PM 3/17/2002]
Old 03-18-2002, 04:27 PM
Silver 96
Le Mans Master

In case anybody is still reading this thread for information instead of insults,

According to the local distributor, Royal Purple meets GM4718.

I emailed this inquiry to Amsoil and Red Line directly and added a few more.

I got this reply from Amsoil within an hour:

Bob,

Our Series 2000 0w30, XL7500 5w30 or 10w30 and our standard 5w30 and 10w30
motor oils all meet the GM4718 spec. They are all 100% synthetic oil based
upon a PAO and diester basestock with a premium additive package.

PAO's are synthetic hydrocarbons. Ester based is simply a different type
of basestock. Esters tend to absorb water and they also tend to "blanket"
engine components and disallow critical additives to have an opportunity to
reach metal surfaces. If used in small amounts with PAO basestocks, esters
have some good qualities, but Esters are typically not good basestocks to
use for passenger vehicle engines by themselves.

They are good short-life single run race oils because they do offer good
horsepower characteristics and decent wear protection if properly
additized, but PAO's are by far better for engine protection and extended
drain issues associated with passenger car vehicle use. Blended with a
small amount of Ester PAO's are tremendous basestocks for this type of use
as well as for racing applications.
I'll post Red Line's reply when I receive it.

Get notified of new replies

To Royal Purple?

Old 03-18-2002, 04:41 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

Correct me if I am wrong...but doesn't it sound like Amsoil is as much a "blend" as Royal Purple? Not trying to knock Amsoil here...I think its pretty much a toss up between the two, and the only reason I went with Royal Purple is because I do alot of business with the distributor.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:01 PM
Silver 96
Le Mans Master

No, "100% synthetic" certainly doesn't sound like a blend to me, either. Are you saying a blend is better? I have no reason to knock or promote any product, either. I just want to cut through the hype and sales pitches and find the best product for my car.

I should have emailed the same questions directly to Royal Purple as well, a mistake which I will correct immediately.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:13 PM
Eric 96
Safety Car

I am not knocking either product. I am just saying that Amsoil mentioned the "premium additive package" that is added to its base stock. I am sure this is also the case with Royal Purple.
Someone was knocking Royal Purple's street oil for being a "blend". Their race oil is a pure synthetic. I think all of their "street use" synthetics are going to have additives.

[Modified by Eric 96, 3:16 PM 3/18/2002]

Quick Reply: Royal Purple?