C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

"Service Ride Control" light just came on

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 PM
jerryg01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Service Ride Control" light just came on

I have a 92 coupe, and the Service Ride Control light just came on when I started it up yesterday. The only work I have done to the car recently was to take the rollup cover out of the rear cargo area. Any ideas about what could be the cause of this light to come on? The car has 90,000 miles on it.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry G
Old 04-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you moved the car or just started it?. If you start your car two or three times with out driving it, the warning light will illuminate. It will go off when you start driving.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:52 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

That's the FX3 adjustable suspension system. It means something is wrong with one of the shocks or one of the actuators (adjuster thing on top of the shock). You may find the light does not always go on when you start the car. Then another time it will. You can pull the code to tell you which shock is the issue.

It can also be the brain for the system (CCW?), but usually it's a shock or actuator. Once you identify which one, you can send it to Bilstein for a rebuild, or buy new ones.

My light has been doing this for a while, but I can tell the system is still working. That's my next fix.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:40 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Follow the instruction on this thread to pull the SRC codes.

The ALDL is located under the dash on the driver's side next to where the hush panel and the console come together. Bend a paperclip into a U shape and connect Pin A to Pic C. These pins are on the towp row with A being the right-most and C is the second to the left as you look at the ALDL.

Stick the paperclip in and turn the ignition to ON but don't start the engine. The SRC light will begin to flash a code sequence. All trouble codes start and end with a Code 12 The codes that show problems are in between.

Each code flashes 3 times with a gap between each code. The SRC light flashes each digit like this:

Blink = 1
Blink Blink = 2
Blink Blink Blink = 3 and so on

So a Code 12 is Blink.. Blink Blink. There is a short pause between each digit and a longer pause between the error code. The 12 will repeat two more times, a pause and the error codes start in the same fashion. You have to pay close attention here and remember that each individual code is shown three times.

After all codes are flashed, the system will repeat a Code 12 to end the sequence. But the system won't stop after displaying the codes, they just keep going. So when you see two sets of Code 12, youre done.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:36 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Follow the instruction on this thread to pull the SRC codes.

The ALDL is located under the dash on the driver's side next to where the hush panel and the console come together. Bend a paperclip into a U shape and connect Pin A to Pic C. These pins are on the towp row with A being the right-most and C is the second to the left as you look at the ALDL.

Stick the paperclip in and turn the ignition to ON but don't start the engine. The SRC light will begin to flash a code sequence. All trouble codes start and end with a Code 12 The codes that show problems are in between.

Each code flashes 3 times with a gap between each code. The SRC light flashes each digit like this:

Blink = 1
Blink Blink = 2
Blink Blink Blink = 3 and so on

So a Code 12 is Blink.. Blink Blink. There is a short pause between each digit and a longer pause between the error code. The 12 will repeat two more times, a pause and the error codes start in the same fashion. You have to pay close attention here and remember that each individual code is shown three times.

After all codes are flashed, the system will repeat a Code 12 to end the sequence. But the system won't stop after displaying the codes, they just keep going. So when you see two sets of Code 12, youre done.
Many of these "Code" threads are not for the later model C4s- you don't jump A and C and there is no 'blinking'. The threads are somewhat dangerous, as it is telling people to jump the wrong ones. I don't have the link handy, but 92 is different.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by socalman
I don't have the link handy, but 92 is different.
Here's an excellent writeup by C4Guru on 92/93 code reading

http://www.corvettepics.net/misc/ccm-codepull.pdf
Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 AM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Blue 92
Here's an excellent writeup by C4Guru on 92/93 code reading

http://www.corvettepics.net/misc/ccm-codepull.pdf
That's awesome. I've done quite a bit of searching and there's some great write ups out there, only to look into my manual and find that step 1 conflicts with the write up. When I saw that the jumper goes into different ports, I thought "someone is going to read this, and short out their computer".
Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by socalman
That's awesome. I've done quite a bit of searching and there's some great write ups out there, only to look into my manual and find that step 1 conflicts with the write up. When I saw that the jumper goes into different ports, I thought "someone is going to read this, and short out their computer".
C4Guru (Andy) is awesome. One of the bet C4 resources around.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:44 AM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

In my 95 the Service Ride Control only comes on occasionally. It will stay on during that ride but the next time I start It will be gone. It might not comeback for 2-3- times I drive it.

Last edited by ETM; 07-03-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:45 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by ETM
In my 95 the Service Ride Control only comes on occasionally. It will stay on during that ride but the next time I start It will be gone. It might not comeback for 2-3- times I drive it.
You should start a new thread as this one is 7 years old. Also pull the codes to see if it provides more info.

Get notified of new replies

To "Service Ride Control" light just came on

Quick Reply: "Service Ride Control" light just came on