C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Paint color change and the law?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:00 PM
ottawabarber
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Paint color change and the law?

I am watching CorvetteMike2004 great paint job on his formerly red, now beautiful black with ghost flames paint job.

This got me wondering, and it is probably a dumb question - but here it is:

When you change the color of your car, do you have to notifiy your state DMV of the change? Does a change on the title have to take place? Or ????

I know my title says white 1988 Chevrolet Corvette. My license plates are for a white Corvette. If I would repaint it black, or whatever wouldn't that, or couldn't that, cause confusion legally? I mean if you get stopped and the plates come up for a white 1988, and it is now a red one wouldn't it be a problem to prove to the officer it is legally the same car?

Maybe it isn't a problem, but it crossed my mind and I have never seen anyone ever mention it. I know the RPO codes show the orginal color, but what about registration informaton?

Thanks for any input to help my old brain get this straight.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

VIN, your car has one no matter what color it is.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:15 PM
L82shark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Most states dont care as long as you dont jack around with the VIN plates....
Old 05-09-2010, 08:18 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No you don't have to inform anyone, And I'm not sure they would listen if you did. The only time laws come into effect when changing color is removing the door jamb stickers. By law you can't remove any factory placed decal that displays info, Like the VIN, Tire size and pressures, or load rating.
Your only legal option is to tape over the decals. But almost every time ive taped a door jamb decal it bleed through the edges of the decal (not the tape) OR when you remove the tape it can take the clear plastic off.

For my own cars I remove them completely. For customers cars I give them the option of removing them, taping them or having a vinyl decal made to replace the original.
Ive looked many times and have not found anyone that sells the original style decal's. I found some blanks on ebay once but you needed some kind of rare IBM typewriter to fill them out.

Ive prob removed 20+ door jamb decals and nothing has even been said about it.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by lushdrunk
No you don't have to inform anyone, And I'm not sure they would listen if you did. The only time laws come into effect when changing color is removing the door jamb stickers. By law you can't remove any factory placed decal that displays info, Like the VIN, Tire size and pressures, or load rating.
Your only legal option is to tape over the decals. But almost every time ive taped a door jamb decal it bleed through the edges of the decal (not the tape) OR when you remove the tape it can take the clear plastic off.

For my own cars I remove them completely. For customers cars I give them the option of removing them, taping them or having a vinyl decal made to replace the original.
Ive looked many times and have not found anyone that sells the original style decal's. I found some blanks on ebay once but you needed some kind of rare IBM typewriter to fill them out.

Ive prob removed 20+ door jamb decals and nothing has even been said about it.
this site was posted a couple of month ago. it's the only place i've seen that can supply door jam VIN decals/stickers, as well as other types of OE tags/labels/decals/stickers...

http://www.ecsvin.com/index.php

Last edited by Joe C; 05-09-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:02 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

My Nawf Kalina registration just has Chevy-Coupe, could be a Metro for all the fuzz knows....unless they decode the VIN. No color is designated....as long as the state collects the tax, they don't care.

later, tiny
Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Jake Dragon
Racer

I asked this the last time I got my tag renewed. I was told that they would like to be updated if the color changed when I renew my tag again.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:47 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Thats one reason, when I decide to change the color, I went from dark red metallic to bright red. The registration just says red. I kept it simple.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:16 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe C
this site was posted a couple of month ago. it's the only place i've seen that can supply door jam VIN decals/stickers, as well as other types of OE tags/labels/decals/stickers...

Thanks alot for that! I looked for hours one day and it was dead end every time. Ive been taking a picture of the original door decals with a good quality SLR and having a vinyl lettering shop make one of of vinyl. But they are never good quality. Ive have 2 or 3 come back upset because they peel or fade real quick.
You solved a rather big problem for me. Thanks !
Old 05-10-2010, 02:01 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by ottawabarber
When you change the color of your car, do you have to notifiy your state DMV of the change? Does a change on the title have to take place? Or ????
Not in Illinois, although Jesse White's office would just love to sell you a corrected title if you want to anyway.

Originally Posted by lushdrunk
Thanks alot for that! I looked for hours one day and it was dead end every time. Ive been taking a picture of the original door decals with a good quality SLR and having a vinyl lettering shop make one of of vinyl. But they are never good quality. Ive have 2 or 3 come back upset because they peel or fade real quick.
You solved a rather big problem for me. Thanks !
I used the ebay company for those blue GM door jamb decals for my '69 when it was completely done last year. I took off the original and they input the VIN on the new one, and the replacement was dead-on.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 AM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

Originally Posted by JackDidley
Thats one reason, when I decide to change the color, I went from dark red metallic to bright red. The registration just says red. I kept it simple.
I would never change my Dark Red Metallic ! A bright red vette is like a cherry,everybody has had at least one.

Last edited by joesgulfstream; 05-10-2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-10-2010, 01:01 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Not in Illinois, although Jesse White's office would just love to sell you a corrected title if you want to anyway.

I used the ebay company for those blue GM door jamb decals for my '69 when it was completely done last year. I took off the original and they input the VIN on the new one, and the replacement was dead-on.
Does the early corvettes have the metal tags in the doors? Ive never had the chance to paint any pre 70's GM's. But I once had to paint a 66 mustang and it had a metal plate that was blue in the drivers door jamb. The owner brought the new plate but I had to buy the rivets. They used a special stainless steel rivet that used a hammer and punch to seat them rather then a gun like a normal rivet. It took me forever to track down the right punch needed. I finally found one on ebay for $50 shipped Not even two week later I received a new Eastwood catalog that had the punch set that included four rivets for $19.99

Thats what happens when you search for a tool under the name people form the south call it rather then it's correct name.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

My 78 has the metal tag mounted on the inner door frame. Includes all the paint and trim codes on it.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:19 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

We (CA - where else?) were going to ban black, but cooler heads prevailed.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by SunCr
We (CA - where else?) were going to ban black, but cooler heads prevailed.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

CARB would simply prefer that all of us leave regardless of color . . .
Old 05-12-2010, 01:22 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by joesgulfstream
I would never change my Dark Red Metallic ! A bright red vette is like a cherry,everybody has had at least one.
Great color, but I had 2 dark red C4s in a row. 13 years total. Needed a change.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:45 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by L82shark

Most states dont care as long as you dont jack around with the VIN plates....
x2 I never even knew some states actualy put the color on the title
Old 05-12-2010, 10:11 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Joe C

cool site

Get notified of new replies

To Paint color change and the law?

Quick Reply: Paint color change and the law?