Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What size are stock car ( Nascar) wheels and are they steel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 02:49 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default What size are stock car ( Nascar) wheels and are they steel?

How heavy is a steel rim compare to our stock factory rims?

anyone here put them on their cars?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:07 AM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are steel wheels but they are not a set size. The tires are all sponsored by Goodyear.
They all use the same tires and the same wheels. No need for size info on the tires since their all the same. They are different sizes for each type of race,tracks and widths and compounds. But they are called by A model number not by size.

Also Nascar and all circle track rims have their own special lug pattern to avoid use on the street. Every backyard redneck in the south would love to have a set on their daily driven, Monte Carlo. That is why Goodyear made the yellow lettered "Nascar" street tires. Nothing like yellow lettered tires on a primer gray 1984 Monte Carlo

And on on top of that, Nascar uses a RWD offset (0-mm) and the C4 corvette has a FWD offset (+38mm).
The nascar style rims would be skated by approx 3"

Steel is heaver then aluminum, and chances are the steel wheels would be heaver then aluminum alloy.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Do not think passenger car steel wheels are manufactured in a diameter larger than 15" unless its a special purpose wheel like a mini spare..

The steel wheel (link in text) is 25#. My 18" C5 Z wheels are 24# ea.

Nascar wheels are all steel & all of them are 15" diameter.

You can purchase aftermarket racing wheels that mimic the center design of the NASCAR wheel.

They are not as heavy as one might think @ 25 #'s for a 15 x 10. I do not think they are DOT certified due to the light weight shell.

Here is one manufactured by Bassett. It is available in a bolt hole pattern to fit the Vette & can be ordered with different back spacing.

https://www.lefthanderchassis.com/vi...dgroup=2512404

Two different methods are used to calculate wheel center position.

The Vette uses the "offset" method. The center placement is measured from the center line of the wheel shell. A 55 MM positive offset (17x9.5 90 Vette wheel) = the center is located just over 2" toward the outer lip of the wheel.

Racing wheel center location is measured using the back space method. This is the distance from the back of the wheel to the hub mounting flange. Using the 10" wheel in the link as an example & comparing it to the 55MM wheel above you would need a steel wheel with approximately a 7" backspace to = the Vette wheel.

Clement wheel Co near Chicago, don't know if they are still in business, would/could manufacture 15" wheels with custom offsets & popular bolt patterns.

12 " brake rotors are the largest diameter that can be used with 15" wheels.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:38 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Do not think passenger car steel wheels are manufactured in a diameter larger than 15" unless its a special purpose wheel like a mini spare..

The steel wheel (link in text) is 25#. My 18" C5 Z wheels are 24# ea.

Nascar wheels are all steel & all of them are 15" diameter.

You can purchase aftermarket racing wheels that mimic the center design of the NASCAR wheel.

They are not as heavy as one might think @ 25 #'s for a 15 x 10. I do not think they are DOT certified due to the light weight shell.

Here is one manufactured by Bassett. It is available in a bolt hole pattern to fit the Vette & can be ordered with different back spacing.

https://www.lefthanderchassis.com/vi...dgroup=2512404

Two different methods are used to calculate wheel center position.

The Vette uses the "offset" method. The center placement is measured from the center line of the wheel shell. A 55 MM positive offset (17x9.5 90 Vette wheel) = the center is located just over 2" toward the outer lip of the wheel.

Racing wheel center location is measured using the back space method. This is the distance from the back of the wheel to the hub mounting flange. Using the 10" wheel in the link as an example & comparing it to the 55MM wheel above you would need a steel wheel with approximately a 7" backspace to = the Vette wheel.

Clement wheel Co near Chicago, don't know if they are still in business, would/could manufacture 15" wheels with custom offsets & popular bolt patterns.

12 " brake rotors are the largest diameter that can be used with 15" wheels.
so the answer is getting close...

do lightweight shells handle the rigors of daily street driving through road hazards, and while 24# and 25# is dandy, what is the comparison to the 89 wheel Cuisinart?

i think the c4 is old school and should have more rubber on the sides to look at. the Nascar tire wheel combo have alot of rubber to see and it is a look nonetheless, 20 and 22 save them for something else.

I would stick with 17s, I remember when I was a kid , I ran widen steel wheels all the time and that look is down and dirty....

where do you see the 17 inches in that link?
Old 05-23-2010, 12:51 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

NASCAR wheels are nothing special. 15" steel Aero Race Wheels. They are stamped NON-DOT but you can buy Aero wheels from many different places.

http://www.aeroracewheels.com/

They make wheels for profit... most manufacturers will build a custom offset/bolt pattern wheel.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 05-23-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:09 PM
NMsharkracer
Drifting

Location: Formerly from the Great White North but now residing in the Desert Southwest NM (The Land of Dis-Enchantment?)
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slickfx3

i think the c4 is old school and should have more rubber on the sides to look at. the Nascar tire wheel combo have alot of rubber to see and it is a look nonetheless, 20 and 22 save them for something else.
The "1983" Corvette almost had 15" diameter wheels that resembled the '82's turbine style wheel although with a different offset. IIRC by the time the '84's were introduced, GY had come up with a new, "revolutionary" tire in a 16" and were OE for the Vettes. I think they were the Gatorbacks.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:48 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lushdrunk
No need for size info on the tires since their all the same.
I'm going to disagree on that one. They all have a compound number but they are also marked with a size.

Name:  2010-05-23155541.jpg
Views: 8785
Size:  39.0 KB

EDIT: This is a Talladega tire from a couple of years ago.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 05-23-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Firevette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran

I have a full set of lying around if you are intrested.

Name:  slicks1small.jpg
Views: 6550
Size:  23.9 KB

Name:  slicks2small.jpg
Views: 11303
Size:  31.5 KB

Get notified of new replies

To What size are stock car ( Nascar) wheels and are they steel?

Quick Reply: What size are stock car ( Nascar) wheels and are they steel?