C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1991 Original Bose Sound System Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
korachke
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Original Bose Sound System Replacement

i'm looking for advise and info on anyone that has experience replacing their !991 (c4) Radio/Disc & speakers. i know that it is suggested to replace all sound system equipment. Heard that Pioneer still has a good quality system at reasonable price.
I would appreciate very much your own experience and suggestions for a replacement system- best brand-costs and where to purchase. thanks. this is korachke at kwkorach@gmail.com

Last edited by korachke; 07-13-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:56 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Alpine is widely recommended as one of the better head units.

Also, you'll need a GM wire harness (plugs into the side of the receiver module located under the passenger side knee bolster) and an Antenna adapter.

Also, 5 1/4" components can easily be made to fit in the stock door sill speaker enclosures. Add a 4 channel amp and 10" subwoofer and your done!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:30 AM
korachke
3rd Gear

Default know approx cost of this setup

Originally Posted by GKK
Alpine is widely recommended as one of the better head units.

Also, you'll need a GM wire harness (plugs into the side of the receiver module located under the passenger side knee bolster) and an Antenna adapter.

Also, 5 1/4" components can easily be made to fit in the stock door sill speaker enclosures. Add a 4 channel amp and 10" subwoofer and your done!
looking for idea of cost for parts in setup you sent me.
thanks, ken
Old 07-14-2010, 02:59 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It depends on what features you want on the Head unit but, a basic Alpine CD/MP3 player, Component speakers, 4 channel amp and 10" Subwoofer will cost around $700 if you install it yourself.

$1500 and up if you have a shop do the install.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I will buy your radio if the CD player works. My 91 system works great except for the CD.
Send me a PM if interested.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:41 PM
korachke
3rd Gear

Default 1991 CD Player

thanks very much for info on Alpine System and cost. this is most helpful.
my 1991 CD player also does not work, only the radio works.
ken
Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I have two extra head units that were in a box of stuff that came with my "new to me" `90 one is a regular Delco stereo/tape, & the other is a Bose gold series. It is also a tape. Don`t know if either one works, but anybody can have them for the price of shipping.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 AM
American Raven
C3 Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of you guys are into overkill. Granted, I have almost $1K invested in my audio system in my '95 (Alpine head unit, Alpine 4 channel amp, Infinity speakers all around) but a C4 is a small car and a person on a budget can have a quality, better than stock sound system for less than $500 (if he does his own installation).

A decent Alpine/Pioneer/Kenwood head unit that has high powered 4 channels and four decent quality speakers is all one needs (along with a lot of patience, an entire weekend to dedicate to the project, ten miles of wire, theextension coax cable with the antenna adapter).

A 4 channel outboard amp and a subwoofer system is nice but not absolutely necessary.

I would advise in getting a head unit that allows iPod, mp3 units and USB stick connectivity. CD's time is coming to an end and it's a lot easier to load a 4 gig memory stick with music than it is to burn a 640 MB CD. Kenwood has a nice deck for around $150 that has this neat function. I have this unit in my truck and it is every bit as good as my Alpine units.

Speakers are the real deal. Go to a store and listen to the different speakers. You'll have to compromise on cost vs. what your ear likes but it's your car, so buy what you like. I've heard a pair of 6.5" JVC closeout speakers last week that sounded almost as good as my Infinities - for 1/3 the price.

Other goodies like Satellite radio can really push the price up an easy $200 for the needed hardware. You can always go back and install this if you decide you want it at a later time.

For Gods sake, before you buy the first component, check out the Audio section of this board and read up on how to change the soundsystem. There are a lot of variations from the different years. I freely admit that Agent86 and GoldCylon helped me get my system functional. It would have been much simpler and easier for me if I had read the audio section in detail prior to doing anything.

Good luck bro. Anything short of Wal-Mart "Complete system" for $99.99 will be superior to the dated and overated Blose-Delco system.

Edit: Here's a place that I've bought stuff from.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com

I've had good results with them. Go to a Car Toys or Best Buy, scope out the systems you like, the speakers that you like and write down their model numbers and prices. I promise that this place will have the same items for much, much less. If you have access to a garage and tools, I would suggest that you do the installation yourself (after reading the audio section first!) I've read about people taking their C4 to a local Best Buy or equivilant and being very disappointed in the installation job. These cars are different and I'll go as far as saying, difficult to mount aftermarket sound systems. the 22 year old droid at BB probably has never encountered a C4 and doesn't know that the plastic part behind the radio has to be cut out before an aftermarket unit will slide all the way back.

So you can get great sound on a budget or you can get fantastically great sound if you buy higher end stuff. I have a subwoofer system in my '79 Vette and it's overkill. That's why I don't have a subwoofer system in my '95.

Last edited by American Raven; 07-15-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:17 AM
fnataro
Intermediate

Default 91 Corvette Bose Gold problems

Bose Gold Radio system 91 convertible Vet.
I have found out that my radio needs repair $385. 3 of the 4 speaker amps are also bad. I have priced them at $150-$200 per amp.
This is in an attempt to keep my 91 original.
Any help with pricing or know where i can get these amps/radio less expensive, please let me know.
Thanks
Old 01-30-2019, 07:33 AM
Wayne Alegre
4th Gear

Default Bose Head units.

Originally Posted by kenv
I have two extra head units that were in a box of stuff that came with my "new to me" `90 one is a regular Delco stereo/tape, & the other is a Bose gold series. It is also a tape. Don`t know if either one works, but anybody can have them for the price of shipping.
I'm in need of a Bose head unit. Do you still have one?
Old 01-30-2019, 07:36 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

Best to post a want to buy ad in the parts for sale/wanted section here on the forum. This thread is pretty old and I doubt that you'll get much for a response unfortunately.

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 Original Bose Sound System Replacement

Quick Reply: 1991 Original Bose Sound System Replacement