C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

ECM reset

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM
samh
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ECM reset

Quick question guys...on average, how long does it take for the ECM to set set everything (air fuel mix, idle speed, etc.) after a reset? Is it dependent on number of start/stop cycles, driving time, or a combination?

89 coupe (L98)

Thanks
Sam
Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I should only take a short drive.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:29 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A couple of seconds really - actually it's constantly resetting with Long Term Fuel Trim retained in memory when you shut it off which means if it's developed a small vacuum leak, it's ready to correct for it when you restart it. If it isn't running right, scan, post the issue.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:38 PM
samh
Racer

Originally Posted by SunCr
A couple of seconds really - actually it's constantly resetting with Long Term Fuel Trim retained in memory when you shut it off which means if it's developed a small vacuum leak, it's ready to correct for it when you restart it. If it isn't running right, scan, post the issue.
The problem is it's not throwing any codes.

Here's the issue:

My 89 failed the Texas emissions (Two speed Idle) test.

At 2279 RPM the HC(ppm) was 878 and the CO(%) was 3.50
At 834 RPM the HC(ppm) was 1120 and the CO(%) was 3.32

The standard for both is HC=220 and CO=1.20

I don't know what any of this means except that it's out of tolerance.

The guy suggested a can of CRC or a good tune as possible fixes before a retest in 15 days

Here's my thoughs as to what could have contribued to the problem. Yesterday morning I had replaced the battery. If I remember right, that resets the ECM causing it to try and find a good fuel/air mixture. Since I drove the car directly to the inspection station (about 6 miles from Wallyworld) could ECM still have been searching for a proper fuel/air mix and throw the test off?

If I'm going to spend money, I would much rather go straight to the problem than waste time chasing ghosts.

Thanks,
Sam

Last edited by samh; 08-04-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:16 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

going to try to help a little here your HC is out the window at low RPMs do you have a low idle miss? a bad or poor tune will cause high HC. plugs, wires, pvc, just make sure car is in good tune. now if your motor is in poor shape burning oil or something of that nature you are going to have a tough time in getting it to pass. CO is air fuel mixture. If were you I would take care of the HC then adress the CO it may come down when you get the HC fixed. I just noticed you said 6 miles was the car up to full operating temp? hope this helps some. One other thing how are yor converters if not functionaly right your CO will be high
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 PM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Had a similar problem with my 91 Mustang, after driving it straight to the testing station (about 3 miles). The tester said to go out, drive it 10 or 15 miles, stay out say 20 or 30 minutes, push it a little, get the temp up, and come back. That was all it took to pass.
In your case your emissions are so far above the limit I'd definitely get a tune up too, but drive it for 20 minutes or so before heading over.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:05 PM
samh
Racer

Ok. Good advise guys, thanks! Probably overdue on a tune anyway!

Sam
Old 08-05-2010, 12:28 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

It's rich. Rich enough to stink and to burn up the CAT. The ECM compensates for worn parts based on O2 input, so most socalled tuneups are waste of money until fuel delivery mucks up.

Scanning it would tell you where to begin, but I'd guess that it's sucking air pass the O2 and when the ECM gets a lean indicator, it's dumping fuel. Assuming a scan shows a Lean O2, you might check the header check valves by clamping off the hoses to see if the O2 returns to normal. Other causes would be a vacuum leak or a blown head gasket allowing coolant into the combustion chamber. Check cylinder #7 which is problematic for this Year.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:11 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

co can not effect unless it is so lean it is causing a misfire this is not the case as he is running rich. you need to adress HC before you do anything.

Get notified of new replies

To ECM reset

Quick Reply: ECM reset