C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dr Don's MP3 Audio Mod??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Default Dr Don's MP3 Audio Mod??

has anyone had the MP3 mod done to their 90-96 Bose system?

if so, do you have a picture of what is done? How is it activated?

Lastly what was the cost for the mod, if I recall right it disables the tape deck and you use the MPS port in place of using tapes

Curious on the mod as my Aftermarket CD player loads CDs but will nto play them then ejects them

not sure what I am going to do yet
Old 08-25-2010, 11:00 PM
bdw18_123
Drifting

Location: Prather, California -1990 ZR-1 White/Flame Red- -SOLD!!-
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could just use one of those cassette adapters. That's what I use, I hook my iPod to it and it sounds great.

But if you wanted to wire it direct, I'm sure you could. The cassette adapter just has a magnetic tape head in it, that lines up with the magnetic tape head that is in the tape deck. The 3.5mm headphone plug wire is just wired direct to the magnetic tape head that is in the cassette adapter.

I don't know how Dr. Dons does it, but it is probably similar to this. You could just wire a 3.5mm headphone jack directly to the tape head wire that is in the tape deck portion of the radio head unit (after cutting the wire off of the magnetic tape head).

You would also have to find the switch that tells the radio that a tape has been inserted and wire an external switch to that switch to activate the tape section when a device is plugged into the headphone port. You could also disable the motor (just cut and cap the wires going to the motor that spins the tape) in the tape portion to minimize noise. Then just mount the headphone port and the activating switch in an appropriate spot, such as under the console lid somewhere.

Funny thing is, I never really thought about doing that till just now. Reading your question got the gears in my head turning and I just came up with that now! I may try that on my stock deck and see if the sound is better. It's not like I ever use tapes anyway!

Last edited by bdw18_123; 08-25-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:04 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

you know I totally forgot about the tape adapter.. I could do that. trying to decide the best approach.. I am keeping the aftermarket stuff in the car, but might need to swap in the OE Headunit/tuner for now if I want to listen to CDs.

Question on the OE unit, can you Fast forward a CD? I know you can skip tracks but what do you use for FF or RWD..
Old 08-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, you can FF a CD with the factory Bose.

How about just adding an FM modulator based input jack....like THIS? You can mount the panel anywhere you want and just use a standard 1/8" stereo cable.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:20 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak

How about just adding an FM modulator based input jack....like THIS? You can mount the panel anywhere you want and just use a standard 1/8" stereo cable.
That modulator is what I thought of before, I think that would be perfect

So how do you FF on the Bose CD.. like I said I don't have the owners manual for the car..

Maybe I will install it for now
Old 08-25-2010, 11:24 PM
bdw18_123
Drifting

Location: Prather, California -1990 ZR-1 White/Flame Red- -SOLD!!-
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak

The problem with those FM modulators is they usually don't sound very good. I've tried several and I just don't like how they sound. There is no substitute for a direct wired connection. The cassette adapter will sound better than an FM modulator.

Jeff, I don't think the factory Bose deck will work with aftermarket speakers. I don't think the stock deck has an amp in it since the stock speakers have individual amps right at the speaker. The stock speakers are also only 1 ohm i think. You would have to put the entire stock system back in, including the remote mounted CDM box & the stock speaker enclosures with the amps.

So in your case, the easiest thing to do would be to use the FM modulator. That way you could leave everything else as it is. Word of advice though, don't buy the cheap ones, they sound like crap. Spend some money and get a good one. Might even want to find reviews of the different brands to find the best sounding one.

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
So how do you FF on the Bose CD.. like I said I don't have the owners manual for the car..
I think you just press the "FF" & "Rev" buttons on the head unit.

Last edited by bdw18_123; 08-25-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by bdw18_123
The problem with those FM modulators is they usually don't sound very good. I've tried several and I just don't like how they sound. There is no substitute for a direct wired connection. The cassette adapter will sound better than an FM modulator.

Jeff, I don't think the factory Bose deck will work with aftermarket speakers. I don't think the stock deck has an amp in it since the stock speakers have individual amps right at the speaker. The stock speakers are also only 1 ohm i think. You would have to put the entire stock system back in, including the remote mounted CDM box.
CDM has low output prior to the amps at each speaker. I would run that low level out to the low level input of my amp.. Voltages are the same and I have heard of people having it work.. if not, then I get another aftermarket Headunit.. or get a non-bose CDM
Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Originally Posted by bdw18_123

So in your case, the easiest thing to do would be to use the FM modulator. That way you could leave everything else as it is. Word of advice though, don't buy the cheap ones, they sound like crap. Spend some money and get a good one. Might even want to find reviews of the different brands to find the best sounding one.

I have a cassette adapter from a Discman.. LOL that would work

then I try to connect my Droid and see how well it works
Old 09-01-2010, 07:49 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Okay got it installed.. I remembered how FF and REV work.. but how do you Skip tracks FWD or REV?? I know Scan works to skip forward, but there is no Track FWD or REV.. I tried the Tune up/down but it does not seem to work
Old 09-01-2010, 09:22 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Okay got it installed.. I remembered how FF and REV work.. but how do you Skip tracks FWD or REV?? I know Scan works to skip forward, but there is no Track FWD or REV.. I tried the Tune up/down but it does not seem to work
Actually, "SCAN" is supposed to play the first 8 seconds of each track. "SRCH" skips to the next track. "REPT" goes to the beginning of the previous track if less than 10 seconds into the current track, after 10 seconds, it goes to the beginning of the current track.

Get notified of new replies

To Dr Don's MP3 Audio Mod??

Quick Reply: Dr Don's MP3 Audio Mod??