C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:40 PM
beeristheanwser
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problems

I just put a stage 2 clutch in my car. i switched form the dual mass flywheel. It drove fine for about 2000 miles but now im haveing trouble engaging and disengaging my clutch. Also sometimes it works fine but usually when i first start driving after its sits for a couple hours is when the trouble starts. i was wondering if that would be a throwout bearing or the fork or something i just dont know about it. if anyone knows any solutions please let me know thank you
Old 08-30-2010, 12:50 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You have to be more specific with the trouble.

describe better what you mean by engaging and disengaging.

Gears are grinding? The clutch is grabby like it works like a light switch....on or off?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 PM
beeristheanwser
Cruising

When i start driving i push the pedal down. it wont go into gear but if i pump the clutch it will pop in but roughly. it usually grinds when i try without pumping the clutch if i just try to force it. but it seems after a while of driving it works alright. i do have a stage 2 clutch. and since i put it in there has been alot of clutch chatter. but i thought it was because i switched the flywheel from a dual mass to just a single plate. its not like a switch really cause it works good sometimes but messes up sometimes. for instance i drove to college to day and it started of acting up real bad but after 5 miles it was shifting pretty normal

Last edited by beeristheanwser; 08-30-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:41 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

sounds like hydraulics are failing.

When it heats up the hydraulics start to work again. Have you touched your Clutch Master and Slave??
Old 08-30-2010, 05:32 PM
beeristheanwser
Cruising

No i havnt. I did get all new brake lines on my car(1992). someone told me it might be a seal. But im not leaking any fluid. Do you think it could be the slave. my car has 113000 miles on it and the master and slave probably have never been changed.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:25 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,402 Likes on 924 Posts

Check clutch hydraulic fluid level, and add if necessary. Try bleeding the system.

Live well,

SJW
Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

You may not be low of fluid if you are experiencing "blow by" with the 0-rings.

Your fluid would be fine....just when you depress the pedal, the fluid is compressed as well as it should therefore you are not getting as much travel out of the fork depressing the Throw out bearing.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:19 AM
beeristheanwser
Cruising

my pedal does not go into gear until its pretty far down but its always been fine. Tommorow or wensday im going to change the slave cylinder. my throwout bearing is brand new so i cannot immagine a problem. i think its more the hydrolic because after its in use it seems to drive normally. so the throwout/fork/pivot/clutch should be fine cause it drives good after i warm it up and use the clutch. it could be the o ring. i guess ill start from the slave then try the master if changing the slave dosent fix it.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:31 PM
beeristheanwser
Cruising

I put a new slave cylinder in my car. Had trouble bleeding it so im going to finsh today. i let yiou know how it goes
Old 09-01-2010, 01:49 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Is your car a 4x3 or a 6spd?

The slave is a beotch to bleed.

First......try to get the push rod to be out just a bit.....then......

You have to take the slave off the bell housing, take the hose off, fill the slave all the way to the rim of the hole, replace the hose, do not allow the slave to tip sideways while you are reinstalling the slave........

While you are reinstalling the slave.....you'll feel the push-rod being pushed back into the slave....this is forcing fluid back up the hose and hopefully getting any air bubble to go up the hose as well.

once you successfully get it back on without allowing any air to slip back in.......the hose itself has a self bleeding property to it.......make sure the Master is filled with fluid and pump the pedal only slightly at first........you have to picture a bubble going up a straw when ever any movement in fluid takes place.

You only need to pump the pedal to get the hose to bleed....ingenious design if you ask me......you just have to get the slave on with fluid filled to the brim.....

I know it sounds like a PITA, but it is one way lot's have had success bleeding the slave.

Last edited by jhammons01; 09-01-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:15 AM
beeristheanwser
Cruising

I learned that bleeding the slave cylinder the hard way. I got a new one from napa put it on and it was broke. the brand new part. so i reordered one and i got a new mastercylinder. if thier is any special tricks to bleeding the master to that would be nice to know. Hopefully it will work this time. It is a 6 speed. ill be in touch after i replace the parts. i ordered master online and since labor day shipping is all delayed. thanks for the info
Old 09-22-2010, 02:24 AM
beeristheanwser
Cruising

It ended up being the clutch master cyl. Works great now. Iknow because i got another one that didnt work for some reason. but my original does and my problem is gone. i talk to a mech who works on vettes alot he said slaves usually arent the problem. but thanks for the help the bleeding technique helped alot.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch problems

Quick Reply: Clutch problems