C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Conflicting 'For Sale' rules

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Conflicting 'For Sale' rules

If you go to the 'C4 For Sale' section and read the posting rules concerning Ebay it states:

"2. No eBay links to promote/aid a sale.

No links or references to eBay sales or other auction or sales sites are permitted. If the sale is appropriate for the Forum, post it on the Forum, rather than linking to it elsewhere."

This was posted as a sticky under:
" ** NEW RULES ** Items for sale ** Update 2/11/08 **

But, if you go to the "Forum rules and Guidelines / Selling Corvettes and their parts"

The rules state:

"
2. eBay links to promote/aid a sale

For a long time, Corvetteforum has prohibited links to eBay auctions and other auction sites. The rule was implemented at the request of Forum users who said they didn’t want to have to compete with eBay buyers when a car was listed for sale here.

We have always allowed eBay links when they were used to point people toward an interesting or amusing sale.

The rule eBay links, however, has created a lot of confusion and misunderstanding on the part of site users and moderators, particularly since Google now buys space on the Forum and sometimes re-sells it to eBay.

So, for now, the rule prohibiting links to eBay and other auction sites will be rescinded and we’ll monitor the situation to see how it evolves.

There is a difference between selling something on Corvetteforum and auctioning things on eBay or another auction site. If you want to sell your car or parts on the Forum, post a detailed description, as always.

If you want to auction your car or parts on eBay, then post a link to the auction and people interested can get the details on that site. If you have a “buy it now” price on your eBay auction, you may post that with your eBay link.

We allow sales at Corvetteforum, but not auctions, so we want to avoid co-mingling the Forum sale and eBay auction of the same car or parts.

One note worth visiting: If you have a dispute involving an eBay auction, please use the eBay dispute process to address that issue, as Forum moderators are not in a position to intervene on your behalf.

You can post an unresolved dispute thread if you have a bad transaction on eBay, but the thread will serve only the purpose of alerting other Forum members to be cautious of the seller you had issues with on eBay. :"

The original posting of this was also on 2-11-2008 and
was last edited on : 09-07-2010 at 09:54 PM.

So the question is,, Which set of rules are to be followed considering sales.

I'm sure anyone new to the forum who wants to sell something, may get confused like I am.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:58 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Follow the revised rules. If you check the "for sale" areas of the forum, we haven't been deleting the threads with links to ebay concerning car sales. If anything changes, I'm sure it will be posted by an administrator. Hopefully this clears up the confusion.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Keystring
Drifting

That's what I was thinking since the revised rules are the newest.

Some people are still quoting the 'No Ebay Links' on the For Sale thread.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I was a little confused as well. I dont want to get into trouble about posting a link to eBay pointing to a part for a Forum member where I am not the seller but just trying to help a fellow member out. Is that ok HP?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Originally Posted by HlhnEast
I was a little confused as well. I dont want to get into trouble about posting a link to eBay pointing to a part for a Forum member where I am not the seller but just trying to help a fellow member out. Is that ok HP?
From the rules above:

"We have always allowed eBay links when they were used to point people toward an interesting or amusing sale."

I don't see your request as a conflict, even if you aren't the original seller since you're only pointing out availability of parts.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:52 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

As far as I know, directing someone to ebay to help a fellow forum member is ok. The craigslist ads I delete when the car isn't owned by a forum member. They waste space that could be used by someone on the forum.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:09 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks HP!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:19 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

" when members don't want to compete with eBay ads..." (paraphrased).

same members don't want to pay too much either (members are buyers and sellers). This should be in limbo or on a case-by-case basis since people don't pay for their advert. It's free, deal with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Conflicting 'For Sale' rules

Quick Reply: Conflicting 'For Sale' rules