Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Baby car seat. Good bye to my C4?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Goldenboyws6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby car seat. Good bye to my C4?????

Ok, so, the great news: my wife is pregnant, so we are expecting.... I am so excited. The thing is that there is no room for a car seat for babies, so, what is your advice?? I would love to keep my C4, but I guess some things are not possible. I wish the C4 had a rear seat in cases like this. I also own a T/A but I am afraid that the T/A would be to loud for a baby (headears, chambered exhaust, no cats) What would you do if you were me? or what have you done in situations like this?
Old 09-26-2010, 12:54 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

there's a reason why most vette owners are older But with that said

I may consider setting up the TA so it was more practical. If you don't want to do that then you don't have much of a choice if your financial situation won't allow you to get a family friendly car and keep the vette. the TA still gives you a nice toy. FWIW

Good luck and congratulations!!
Old 09-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,014 Likes on 2,532 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Switch to a C-2 or C-3, they both had optional luggage racks where you could strap the baby seat (or the wife, depending on what mood she's in).

Seriously, congrats - it will change your life in many ways. I always said of my kids I would not sell them for a million dollars, but on the right day I'd give them away for free!

If you can manage a DD which seats the whole family, and save the Vette for fun times, that would be great. If not, I can personally testify that it IS possible to sell a Vette, raise a family, then get another Vette when conditions allow it. Many others here have done the same. As much fun as a Vette is, your #1 priority now is to take good care of Mommy and baby-to-be.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I've taken my kids in the Vette all the time.
My daughter since 2 year old in the 89
And my son 4 in the 90Z.

Baby seat fit fine in these cars.
The main people hauler is the mini van.

Here is an old pic from a Hooters cruise in 03
Old 09-26-2010, 01:47 PM
RedZR
Burning Brakes

Default Baby car seat. Good bye to my C4????? Reply to Thread

If the car seat thing is the only thing bugging you I would not get rid of the vette. I have had all 3 ok my kids riding in C4s since they were 1 week old- no problem. The youngest daughter REALLY liked the 91 ZR1 when it had full length headers & flowmasters

My son (who is now 8) always went to sleep after about the first 10 minutes of the ride in any Corvette I have owned- to this day he can snooze in my 78 Pace Car or my 2008.

Bring that kid up right- take 'em in a Vette
Old 09-26-2010, 01:50 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My son is just over a year old and I just went through this same thing.

Forget about it for the 1st year. I'm not sure what the laws are where your from, but here in NC all children under 1yr old must be in a rear facing car seat and can not be in a car with active air bags.. I never found a rear facing seat that would fit in my 94.

Be sure to check your local laws and follow them. You local fire department will be happy to assist you if you have any questions regrading safety or the law. They where very friendly and helpful to me.

Now that my son is over 1 year old, He can ride in a forward facing car seat with the air bag disabled.
I purchased a Simpson racing child seat pictured below, from Summit Racing for around $170. It fits well in my 94 WITH the corvette seat seat bottom removed to expose the seat frame.

The seat came with 5 angled eye hooks and 3 quick release, ratcheting straps. 4 of the hooks mount to the existing 15mm seat track bolts, and the 5th hook mounts on the hump behind the seat back. You got to drill for this one. But luckily it is not necessary.

Two of the straps form an X across the base of the Simpson car seat and mount to the 4 eye hooks that are on the floor seat track. The 3rd strap attaches to the top of the Simpson seat and goes over the back of the corvette seat to the eye hook located behind the seat ( the one You got to drill).

After you get the eye hooks installed, Installing and removing the Simpson seat is easy and takes about 5 mins.

To install:
#1: Pull fuse for air bag.
#2: Remove corvette seat bottom, and attach 3rd strap to the eye hook behind the seat.
#3: Attach the two bottom belts to the left side eye hooks (console side).
#4: Feed belts in an X pattern through the bottom of the child seat and set child seat in it's final position.
#5: Attach straps to right side eye hooks and tighten until child seat does not move.
#6: Attach the 3rd strap from the back eye hook to the top of child seat and tighten until snug.
#7: Install baby. (the hard part)
#8: Latch the corvette's seat belt and feed the belts in the slots on the child seat.

Other child seats will work just fine, I picked the Simpson seat because.... well it's just cool. I figure if I have to pay $200 for a child seat, I would rather have a Simpson racing seat then a spongebob seat.

oh and congrats on the baby!

Last edited by lushdrunk; 09-26-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by lushdrunk
My son is just over a year old and I just went through this same thing.

Forget about it for the 1st year. I'm not sure what the laws are where your from, but here in NC all children under 1yr old must be in a rear facing car seat and can not be in a car with active air bags.. I never found a rear facing seat that would fit in my 94.

Be sure to check your local laws and follow them. You local fire department will be happy to assist you if you have any questions regrading safety or the law. They where very friendly and helpful to me.

Now that my son is over 1 year old, He can ride in a forward facing car seat with the air bag disabled.
I purchased a Simpson racing child seat pictured below, from Summit Racing for around $170. It fits well in my 94 WITH the corvette seat seat bottom removed to expose the seat frame.

The seat came with 5 angled eye hooks and 3 quick release, ratcheting straps. 4 of the hooks mount to the existing 15mm seat track bolts, and the 5th hook mounts on the hump behind the seat back. You got to drill for this one. But luckily it is not necessary.

Two of the straps form an X across the base of the Simpson car seat and mount to the 4 eye hooks that are on the floor seat track. The 3rd strap attaches to the top of the Simpson seat and goes over the back of the corvette seat to the eye hook located behind the seat ( the one You got to drill).

After you get the eye hooks installed, Installing and removing the Simpson seat is easy and takes about 5 mins.

To install:
#1: Pull fuse for air bag.
#2: Remove corvette seat bottom, and attach 3rd strap to the eye hook behind the seat.
#3: Attach the two bottom belts to the left side eye hooks (console side).
#4: Feed belts in an X pattern through the bottom of the child seat and set child seat in it's final position.
#5: Attach straps to right side eye hooks and tighten until child seat does not move.
#6: Attach the 3rd strap from the back eye hook to the top of child seat and tighten until snug.
#7: Install baby. (the hard part)
#8: Latch the corvette's seat belt and feed the belts in the slots on the child seat.

Other child seats will work just fine, I picked the Simpson seat because.... well it's just cool. I figure if I have to pay $200 for a child seat, I would rather have a Simpson racing seat then a spongebob seat.

oh and congrats on the baby!
I was going to get that seat..... But they grow out of it FAST!!!!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:02 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Make the TA quieter cant bring the kid in the Vette for a few yrs anyway.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:02 PM
shbbykins
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Name:  DSC_0146.jpg
Views: 1957
Size:  46.0 KB

my kiddos both go on cruises with me all the time. just find a child seat you have faith in and strap the buggers in. I dont have to worry about those airbag laws or whatever but I have been looked at a little funny by those who dont understand. There is a law that gets quoted to me quite often from joe blows about how kids under a certain age cant ride in the front seat yadda yadda. they can if there is no back seat and last time I checked there is no magic back seat :p

go to fie local firestation as they generally do the safety seat stuff and check everything with them.

Last edited by shbbykins; 09-26-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:09 PM
lushdrunk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coupe89
I was going to get that seat..... But they grow out of it FAST!!!!
Yeah tell me about it. They grow out of everything fast!
The seat is only good from 20 to 50lbs I believe.

My son turned 1yr old on sept 14th and is 24lbs now. I figure I will get 1 solid year out of the Simpson seat before It will be on ebay.

$170 is a small price to pay when it comes down to driving the corvette for a year.

They hold a good ebay re-sale value also. I watched a few auctions before I purchased mine and they sell for around $120 used in good shape, with the eye hooks.

so in the long run, I will get over half my money back if I don't accidentally knock up the wife again.....
That's why I bought a new one.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Dave C
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats on the NEWS!! Nothing else matters... Cars come and go - be a good Dad and you'll be rewarded a million times over!
Tame down the TA, or sell that car as well and buy a nice 60's or early 70's GM coupe - they are way more family friendly.

Your best days are just ahead of you - well done!
Old 09-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Goldenboyws6
Advanced

Thanks everybody. I am excited about the baby. I wish someone offered a seat to put a least behind the seats of the C4. That would be crazy, wouldn't it?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Riks40th
Drifting

Location: St. Louis, Mo......... 1993 Torch Red w/White Interior...2006-07 Bloomington Gold 2005-ZR1/C4 Gathering, 2001-2012 Funfest
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know where to get this, just a pic I found years ago.

Name:  C4Backseat.jpg
Views: 9164
Size:  40.1 KB

Rik
Old 09-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Goldenboyws6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Riks40th

Rik

This is what I need. Where can I get it???????
Old 09-26-2010, 03:29 PM
silverja
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Default What a sweetie!

Originally Posted by Coupe89
I've taken my kids in the Vette all the time.
My daughter since 2 year old in the 89
And my son 4 in the 90Z.

Baby seat fit fine in these cars.
The main people hauler is the mini van.

Here is an old pic from a Hooters cruise in 03
Your baby is so cute! Thank you for sharing and bringing a smile to my face. A future Corvette owner in the waiting.

John
Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Goldenboyws6
This is what I need. Where can I get it???????
No you don't. That's dangerous! Whoever did that should be ashamed of putting theeir child in danger.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:43 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Riks40th

Rik
I always wondered if you could do something like that, except turn it sideways like the way seat are in the older s-10 extended cabs, and use the other storage bin for a footwell (at least on the older c4 without abs). The storage area openings are a lot bigger when the door assembly is taken out of the way.

Get notified of new replies

To Baby car seat. Good bye to my C4?????

Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 PM
KevinRR
Racer

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
No you don't. That's dangerous! Whoever did that should be ashamed of putting theeir child in danger.
While I have a kid myself and agree that it is probably not something you should consider engineering yourself, I must point out that there is nothing "magical" about automotive seats or seat belts. You simply need a metal framed seat firmly attatched to the floor pan of the car and you need a set of seat belts also bolted to the floor pan or other structural pillar.

While the setup in that picture is poorly setup, it would be far from impossible to construct something that would be safe and functional. But, it would look like **** and you may end up rigging and devaluing the car in the process.

I would also point out that public transportation such as school buses, city transport buses, trains, subways, ferries, etc. do not have any means of keeping kids restrained whatsoever, but are regarded as completely legal and do not seem to be frowned upon by those who would otherwise normally complain over kid car seating arrangements and safety.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:46 PM
KevinRR
Racer

Originally Posted by shawn 84&92
I always wondered if you could do something like that, except turn it sideways like the way seat are in the older s-10 extended cabs, and use the other storage bin for a footwell (at least on the older c4 without abs). The storage area openings are a lot bigger when the door assembly is taken out of the way.
You wouldn't want to do that. The majority of impacts you are trying to protect against are front/back. So you want the seat to face front/back also, not sideways. I was always surprised at those old s10 xcabs with the sidways fold down jump seats in the back too. I had one about 14 years ago.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:59 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

My son will be a year old in two weeks.I have driven the vette less than a 1000 miles this last year.It's ok I am keeping the miles low.LOL.
Make other arrangements and keep the car.
I miss driving the vette but I would'nt trade being a dad for anything.He will enjoy the vette with me when he is a little older.

Quick Reply: Baby car seat. Good bye to my C4?????