C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

If you were given a C4 straight out...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 04:18 PM
tricep
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default If you were given a C4 straight out...

(BTW, it's 'official' my motor is blown (not aspirated ) but "blown" as in blown up)-- I'm ready to say adios amigo.

So, the question is this: If you were given a (badazz???) C4 (is that an oxymoron??)--what would you do to make it look as cool as possible? This isn't your typical "let's bash C4's" type thread.

The C4 in this pic has been modded. Has a brand new motor, along with everything else. Owned by a master gear head Corvette lover.

It has a Flowmaster system. Its got this cool 7 speed thing goin on.

I know I would immediately change tires and wheels. Wider tires, chrome or black wheels, but I don't know if I would use C6 or C5 wheels.

Of course I would slam the fker to the ground, that's a given.

It has a badazz stereo, brand new leather and has a total gear head at it's disposal, for a lifetime.

Mine? I'm ready to turn loose of it... to this total "gear head"....

Thoughts anyone? Try real hard not to be dicks (not implying anything, you know I got love for you all). I'm looking for serious answers. I can post in teh C4 forum, but this is one of those topics that needs to be heard from both sides.

I know I could make that C4 look damn good, and I already know its damn fast... it's just... uhhhhhhhhhhhh.... ya know.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:27 PM
99alvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No!!! c4's really show their age and not in a good way like a c3 the interiors are ulgy and they are slow unless modded I would sell your z and get a c5 if you wanna stay away from a ls6. No offence to you c4 guys I just dont like the styling of the c4
Old 10-16-2010, 04:37 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

drive it for a day or a week if possible.

they are not even close to stiff as a c5.

i had an 87 with 4+3 and it was fun but no one ever commented on it like when i am driving my Z06.

it will be a disappointment imho.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 PM
PoVette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just don't like 'em.... Sorry

Part yours out and use that money to help pay for another one.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:44 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If I was "given" one? I'd sell it immediately.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:44 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 355 Likes on 192 Posts

IMO it would make a nice driver. I wouldn't sink a ton of $$ into it though. Just maintain and restore parts as needed and drive it.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:06 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,690 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I like the later model C4s, after they added the wrap around front lights and saw blade wheels.

If I ever got one, it would be either a ZR1 or the 40th anniversary edition. With the exception of the ZR1, I would want to keep it stock as it would take a lot of mods to get it up to today's performance standards.

I still like the profile of the C4.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

just remember the c4 was designed almost 30 years ago.

the later years have the optispark, expensive to repair system.

like mr. b said, once you go c5 you can't go back to c4.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:14 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
If I was "given" one? I'd sell it immediately.
on several points. I'm 6'2" and they are a biotch to get in and out of!!The clam shell hood is cool,,,but the space to work under the hood isn't for Sh*t. Helped a friend do headers,full exhaust and plugs and wires. Told him after that,,if he wanted to do ANYTHING else to it,,,take it somewhere else!! The looks/lines of the C5 to C4,,,no contest!! No matter WHAT you do to it,,still going to look like a C4!! I like all vettes,,,but the C4 is the LAST one I would want to own!! I understand your frustration,,,but I think you'd be sorry after a very short while. IMO do what you need to do to get the best that you can and get rid of your Z,,and start looking for another C5 that you like and can live with!!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned a very bad azz C4 before my C5, wish I had kept her.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:11 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Find a nice stock take-out or crate motor. You'll be MUCH happier at the end of the day.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:11 PM
wdtiger
Instructor

given? as in free? haha... i'd strip that bitch out, cage it and go racing. They might need a little help in the power department to be competitive, but in the right hands (read: driver mods), they can still put up a good fight if you find the right class to compete in.

But that's just me...
Old 10-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

I like them both.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:19 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

My 95 has been my DD since 1996. I still get compliments on it all the time. Most average people don't know 1 gen. Vette from another.
I think the C4 has a nice clean body style, and there is not much aftermarket pieces that make it look better.

It is was me I would get a 92-96, I think the front/rear, interior, engine, ZF6 is the best of the breed. Since it is a earlier C4 I would replace front/rear w late model pieces, lower it, get some nice wide 18" wheels (CCW classics), tint windows, and that is about it.

You can do a lot w the engine since it is a Gen 1 SBC. The Doug Nash 4+3 is not very good, especially compared to the ZF6.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

greenwood kit. zr1 wheels.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:35 PM
UniqueDoug
Team Owner

Received 170 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Kale
greenwood kit. zr1 wheels.
Exactly what I was thinkin...

Some of the Greenwoods look tasteful on the C4, not so much on the C5...
Old 10-16-2010, 06:36 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 518 Likes on 315 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 thru '24
Oldtimer

Default Real Sage advice

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
There is no way I could go from a C5 to a C4, I don't care if it has a new motor or a lifetime mechanic, Just my opinion.

In my opinion what you need to do is dump your C5 and look for a new one, Seeing all the threads with the trouble you have had with yours, Dump it and take the loss.
How much money and time you going to keep putting into that car?

Isw this the same machanic that has been working on your C5? If so I would dump him also.
Simple.
I have both a C5 and a C4, and there's no way I'd pick a C4 over the C5. . . . OK, you lost out on the C5 you have now with a bad motor. But if it were me, before I looked an a C-anything, I'd fine me a real master GM mechanic. I have read all of you posts, and please don't take this the wrong way. It ain't non of my business, but if it were me, I'd find someone who knows LSX engines inside and out.

In almost all of you past threads there's a line of thought as relayed from your mechanic who for whatever reasons always has the car or part at fault. The image just doesn't fit the circumstance. I'm lucky and I have access to a truly five star shop with the most honest and fair individuals you could hope for. If a part is shot, they tell you, but if there's a simpler answer that addresses the situation, they tell you that too, so at least you have a couple of situations to pick from.

When I wanted to buy a car, I could take it by their shop and in a half hour, they could tell me if it's worth whatever or that it's been run hard and put away wet, and for me to pass on it. You can't put a price on honesty ! But in the end it all boils down to what you want. The situation you put forward isn't one I'd take, but I'm not you. Whatever, take your time and sleep on it and keep moving it around in your head till some kind of logic surface. Good luck whatever you do !

Get notified of new replies

To If you were given a C4 straight out...

Old 10-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Ultimate_Respect
Pro

I do not appreciate the disrespect that the C4 is getting. I LOVE the C4 corvettes almost as much as I love my C5.

For the people who say sell it get a life! The C4 is a quality car and it is an extremely fun to drive. There is nothing better than seating on your tires and working on your motor. Do not get me wrong the C4 is not perfect. I can say changing the battery is a nightmare. I can say my ownership of the C4 was very positive. So if you have to chance of owning the car, go for it!!!!!!!!!

I would replace the rims with the ZR1 style ones. Looking at the body that is a 84-90 and depending on if it is 89 or older the interior is less than desirable. I would add a nice body kit; you know there is a C5 kit for the C4. I know many people are against that, although it is your car and your money. I would paint the car and enjoy still having a corvette!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:10 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Detail it and enjoy it if it's reliable.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:12 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 99alvette
No!!! c4's really show their age and not in a good way like a c3 the interiors are ulgy and they are slow unless modded I would sell your z and get a c5 if you wanna stay away from a ls6. No offence to you c4 guys I just dont like the styling of the c4

Quick Reply: If you were given a C4 straight out...