C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

getting the vette ready for winter weather

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Domindart
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting the vette ready for winter weather

I still havent waxed my car (Ive had it for a few months now). I was going to buff/ polish the finish first, there are a few stratches and things there.

But since the colder months are coming I think I should wax the car. Will this be ok ? (waxing before I later, next spring, polish/buff) Will I have to strip the wax off next spring to polish, or can I not worry about the wax?

On a side note, what are u using to get road grime off the lower part of the car (tar, dirt,) behind the wheels where it slings on? Im thinking a simple bug solution will do but I dont want to hurt the finish.

thnx guys and gals!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:50 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 249 Likes on 115 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Domindart
I still havent waxed my car (Ive had it for a few months now). I was going to buff/ polish the finish first, there are a few stratches and things there.

But since the colder months are coming I think I should wax the car. Will this be ok ? (waxing before I later, next spring, polish/buff) Will I have to strip the wax off next spring to polish, or can I not worry about the wax?

On a side note, what are u using to get road grime off the lower part of the car (tar, dirt,) behind the wheels where it slings on? Im thinking a simple bug solution will do but I dont want to hurt the finish.

thnx guys and gals!
I wax my car once a year in the spring, that's it. Then again i'm not much of a waxer, some others may have better advice. As far as road tar and such i use WD-40 to remove it and it works well.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Domindart
Pro

Do u always dry your car? I failed to do so last night and there are water spots. Im hoping they come out on next wash
Old 10-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,535 Likes on 874 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by Domindart
Do u always dry your car? I failed to do so last night and there are water spots. Im hoping they come out on next wash
I would not wait. Get some good detail wax, I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer, some microfober towels, and start woriking on that right away. You do not want to wait! Hopefully, that will do it.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Domindart
Pro

I went outside and rinsed the car and dried it. The spots seemed to wipe off. I also had some spots on my black top. I took some cleaner wax and hand buffed the top, spots gone.

I neeed to do the entire car, I think Ill use just a wax though, not a cleaner wax, cause the cleaner wax I used says to do it in small incriments and buff off before wax dries.. not really into doing an entire car that way!

Get notified of new replies

To getting the vette ready for winter weather

Quick Reply: getting the vette ready for winter weather