C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Hood Latch Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default C4 Hood Latch Adjustment

I have a 94 coupe, and I have been noticing that when I pull my hood release, the left side will pop up...but not the right side. Usually I have to close the hood, then have someone pull up on the right side, when I pull the release. I just wondered if there is a way to adjust these latches????... or am I looking at these parts wearing out, and its time to replace some parts....while I can still open the hood?
thanks.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:14 AM
kelc317
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was doing the same thing.I would take it for a ride and the right side would pop open.Then after a year or so the release wouldn't work at all.I had to take the tire off then take out the wheel well to open the hood.If i were you I would buy the emergency release cables ($20.00) or have the hood release fixed because you are just asking for a headache.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:53 AM
overdrawn
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure but that looks like a plastic adjustment screw?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:02 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 89 does the same thing. I have to pull up on the hood while I pull the release. I've tried adjusting the cable at the latch. And also adjusting the plate on the hood.

My guess is the spring on the hood must be worn out as the adjustments either made it worse, or the passenger side wouldn't stay shut.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:04 AM
overdrawn
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

wow just noticed how dirty that pix looks :o, I'll get to work on the engine bay next...

Old 11-16-2010, 01:06 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like the latches are releasing but one corner of the hood is simply not "popping" up under sufficient spring pressure if you're able to "pull" the hood up freely by hand.

Have someone pull the release latch while you look at their movement. Compare to the good side. You should see the latch clear the hole. Once that happens is up to the hood spirng to "pop" it up. If needed the latches are adjusted my turning the plastic nut pictured above.

Look at the pin and spring on the hood. If you loosen the large nut at the base with a big crescent wrench you can turn the center pin (tip is slotted) in and out for spring adjustment.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:24 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 86PACER
It sounds like the latches are releasing but one corner of the hood is simply not "popping" up under sufficient spring pressure if you're able to "pull" the hood up freely by hand.

Have someone pull the release latch while you look at their movement. Compare to the good side. You should see the latch clear the hole. Once that happens is up to the hood spirng to "pop" it up. If needed the latches are adjusted my turning the plastic nut pictured above.

Look at the pin and spring on the hood. If you loosen the large nut at the base with a big crescent wrench you can turn the center pin (tip is slotted) in and out for spring adjustment.
I think when I messed with mine last. I tried loosening that large nut, but it wouldn't budge. I'll have to mess with that again.

I do remember someone saying Gordon Killebrew mentioned the hood should pop all the way up when you pull the release. But I doubt hardly any does that.
The following users liked this post:
sbutcher (06-07-2019)
Old 11-16-2010, 01:36 AM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
I do remember someone saying Gordon Killebrew mentioned the hood should pop all the way up when you pull the release. But I doubt hardly any does that.
I think the only way these heavy hoods should pop all the way up is maybe the two gas rods up front and down by the hinges make it happen but mine don't-I think the gas charge has leaked away over the years. I got a couple of new ones from Corvette Central but haven't put 'em in yet. Hard to believe those little gas rods could lift that hood!! Anyone know if they do?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The nut on the base locks the pin stationary. Once loosend the pin is free to turn. It takes a monster crescent wrench to grab it.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:01 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,797 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by overdrawn

Not sure but that looks like a plastic adjustment screw?
Hmmm...another new thing I've learned That's one of the reasons I love this place. That and the pics, stories, ongoing jibes from the Quebec Kitty and Texas Hound, various photoshopped versions of the Hokey-miester and even once in a while a "troll" is amusing. Oh and let's not forget the classics like "how much hp a honda engine can be made to deliver" and "why are C4's so cheap" threads

astepup said that
Old 11-16-2010, 06:51 PM
powerpigz-51
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Eventually, adjustments will no longer work. There is a simple cure, and that is to use small lock (split) washers on the end of the cable on the side that is not unlatching, usually the passenger side. You "open them up" slightly so you can fit them over the cable, then pinch them shut with pliers. If you pull on the end of the cable where the latch is, this is where you place them, taking out the slack. Mine has 3 washers on it.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:09 PM
4howard
Instructor

Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
I think the only way these heavy hoods should pop all the way up is maybe the two gas rods up front and down by the hinges make it happen but mine don't-I think the gas charge has leaked away over the years. I got a couple of new ones from Corvette Central but haven't put 'em in yet. Hard to believe those little gas rods could lift that hood!! Anyone know if they do?
I have a 91 with 8000 miles, owned since 97 when it had 3500 miles, and I can tell you that the hood is not designed to pop all the way. The latch allows the hood to release but then you need to lift it up all the way. And its not that light.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:18 PM
4howard
Instructor

I had the same problem, first one side and then the other and then I could not get the hood open at all. Corvette Repair in Valley Stream, LI, NY told me that GM made a special tool that would release the hood without having to remove any body parts. They did not have it, but told me who to call, but I forgot who that was. Cost me about $75 but the shop had the hood open in a couple of minutes. They did repair the problem, I am afraid I don't remember what the fix was, but I know it was an adjustment of some sort, no parts were replaced.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:30 PM
KARR
Racer

Originally Posted by Vintagevetter
I have a 94 coupe, and I have been noticing that when I pull my hood release, the left side will pop up...but not the right side. Usually I have to close the hood, then have someone pull up on the right side, when I pull the release. I just wondered if there is a way to adjust these latches????... or am I looking at these parts wearing out, and its time to replace some parts....while I can still open the hood?
thanks.
Let me save you some time. I had the exact same problem. Clean up the springs on the hood and grease them real good. It should work just fine. Mine needed a major cleaning and fresh grease and it works great now.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:28 AM
avigar
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by KARR
Let me save you some time. I had the exact same problem. Clean up the springs on the hood and grease them real good. It should work just fine. Mine needed a major cleaning and fresh grease and it works great now.
Did the same thing last month since it was getting harder to pull the hood release. Be sure to apply white lithium grease where the hood latches meet the locking pins. During the cable adjustment process, I backed out the plastic adjustment collars all the way back. I then applied equal amounts of rotations to both collars until the hood release felt right. Be sure to lock the collars in place when done.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:36 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by KARR
Old 11-17-2010, 02:35 AM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Thanks

Thanks guys...for all the suggestions. I will start experimenting this week...

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Hood Latch Adjustment

Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

you could save yourself a lot of time and aggrevation, if you would buy the upgraded kit from corvette recycling, it's $49 bucks, has new upgraded springs , pins, cables, latches, and clips. I went thru this and the upgraded kit cured everything ,and I would have saved myself alot of time had I done it to start with. Those companies that sell the individual parts for 30-40 bucks are a rip off, I also got rid of the emergency hood release cables cause this kit works perfect every time. when I swapped my 92 hood onto my 87 , I took the upgraded kit and installed it in the 92, works perfect

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 11-17-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 AM
jack53
Heel & Toe

Default Hood Pins

The hood pins can mushroom around the larger end and may need to be grinded down a bit around the larger edge of the rim.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

My hood didn't pop up when I got it so I adjusted the springs and now she pops right up.
Also I would never take off the emergency release cables if you have them, if you don't I would suggest getting them. You may never need them, but if you do, it will save you a lot of 4 letter words and a lot of time.

Last edited by kimmer; 11-18-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: C4 Hood Latch Adjustment