C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Radio in 94 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:49 PM
HB.94.Corvette
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio in 94 corvette

The Bose radio in my 94 corvette will not play tape/cd or the radio. The radio will not do anything at all, so i disconnected the negative battery cable for 30 seconds (to see if it would help), but it did nothing. Could the radio be locked? If so how can i unlock it?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:13 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Check the radio and the two courtesy fuses. Were you in the back stoeage compartment? The radio amp is in there. Sounds like you've lost power rather than a component.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:19 AM
HB.94.Corvette
6th Gear

I have checked all fuses and relays. They all work still doesn't work.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Is it getting any power? If it is and nothing is working the "brain" for the unit maybe dead. In the 1994 I believe the brain is behind the passenger seat. Earlier years were behind the dash and a bear to get to.

http://www.doctordons.com maybe a resource for you as he can repair both the radio and the brain
Old 03-21-2016, 03:36 PM
gaylesfarm
2nd Gear

does anyone know where to get the brain for my 1994 corvette. It is missing. I know it is behind the seat under the storage box but it is not there just harness
Old 03-21-2016, 04:19 PM
bigtoys
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gaylesfarm
does anyone know where to get the brain for my 1994 corvette. It is missing. I know it is behind the seat under the storage box but it is not there just harness
Try a search on ebay or some of the corvette salvage sites. Better yet, go on Crutchfield and get a new head unit and a plug-and-play harness. You'll have bluetooth, GPS, and anything else you want to upgrade to.

Also, if you decide to try to replace the original component, check to be sure the weather stripping around your hatch is in good shape. The front corners can separate, allowing water in, which will collect in the well where your stereo "brain" used to live. Might be what killed the first one.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:57 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtoys
Try a search on ebay or some of the corvette salvage sites. Better yet, go on Crutchfield and get a new head unit and a plug-and-play harness. You'll have bluetooth, GPS, and anything else you want to upgrade to.

Also, if you decide to try to replace the original component, check to be sure the weather stripping around your hatch is in good shape. The front corners can separate, allowing water in, which will collect in the well where your stereo "brain" used to live. Might be what killed the first one.
Bigtoys is right with going to Crutchfield. I really liked my Bose in my '91, but it succumbed to the typical issues (low volume).

I would love to have it repaired, but it's just too costly. I decided to purchase a double-din unit from Crutchfield that has all the modern necessities and the Metra 70-1857 Bypass Harness is the way to go.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:52 PM
gaylesfarm
2nd Gear

Default Radio

Thanks for the info. I went on crutchfield but confused on which radio might be better and where do u get the plug and play harness? Does this eliminate the harness and brain unit in the back of the car? Hoping for direction. Thank u
Old 03-24-2016, 12:51 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the info. I went on crutchfield but confused on which radio might be better and where do u get the plug and play harness? Does this eliminate the harness and brain unit in the back of the car? Hoping for direction. Thank u
I think these links will be very helpful for you. I just bought my kit for my '91 and will be installing it as soon as it warms up a bit.

Crutchfield is very helpful and should be able to answer all your questions. You purchase the install kit when you purchase the radio. Instructions are included. Install kit is on sale. $7.

Good luck.

Corvette magazine link
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...dern-receiver/

Corvette Forum links
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...questions.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-market.html

Metra links
http://vette-dreams.com/2013/08/11/m...-wiring-guide/

Crutchfield link with pdf download in details tab.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KyTKvzf...s-Harness.html
Old 03-25-2016, 08:04 PM
bigtoys
Instructor

By "Plug and Play", I was referring to the bypass harness which allows your new head unit to plug directly into the car's existing wiring harness without a lot of cutting and splicing. Crutchfield offers this as well as a wide variety of head units. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

petzer22 has the right idea with the Metra harness.

Last edited by bigtoys; 03-25-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:08 PM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

If you have the Delco/Bose gold system you'll have to change the speakers as well. Someone here claimed their is an adapter to run the factory Delco/Bose gold speakers. Personally if I was gong to upgrade the 22 year old head unit I would also upgrade the 22 year old speakers.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:27 PM
jim25w
3rd Gear

Default Need new radio for 93 forty anniversary

Can anyone recommend new head unit for my 93? My tuner/cdm/brain is dead and I have no idea if any of the amps in speakers are any good either as I just purchased vette late in 2015. If you can speakers for front and back and sizes. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe a booster too. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:33 PM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

There is an audio and electronics section just below c1/c2 section. Go there and do a search for info on your 93 stereo.
The following users liked this post:
jim25w (03-26-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 05:03 PM
bigtoys
Instructor

Originally Posted by 94corvetteC4
If you have the Delco/Bose gold system you'll have to change the speakers as well. Someone here claimed their is an adapter to run the factory Delco/Bose gold speakers. Personally if I was gong to upgrade the 22 year old head unit I would also upgrade the 22 year old speakers.
While the adapter harness will allow the original speakers to remain functional, they would definitely be worth replacing, especially the rear ones in the hatch, which get fried from the sun and heat in the hatch area. I also recall seeing a post on the Forum with a technique for fortifying the fragile paper cones with a diluted glue mixture of some sort. Haven't tried it by looked interesting enough and might be worth looking into if you are on a really tight budget.

Last edited by bigtoys; 03-27-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Radio in 94 corvette

Quick Reply: Radio in 94 corvette