C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Web Electric Sequential Turns Signs

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:41 AM
toodlz49
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Web Electric Sequential Turns Signs

I have LED Bulbs in my rear turn signals. Three questions, how hard was it to find the wires to splice in to? Can you get your hand up in the license plate area to find these wires? Will i need to install a dumby load because of the LED Bulbs?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts

Love their products. I suggest waiting until they make a kit for the C4 that is plug and play. If you start cutting away you certainly will be going into uncharted terrirtory.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,099 Likes on 666 Posts

IMHO, sequential signals only look right when you have three bulbs (or more) on each side. They are going to look a little strange with only two. But it is your car, do as you wish.

There is no easy way to get to the wires, as you should know if you changed them out to LEDs already. Go thru the license plate or thru the gas cap area and remove the lenses to make splicing manageable.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I've got their kit and it was easy once you get to the taillight wiring. They look just fine with two lights and I get a lot of comments on them. I don't know about the led bulbs though, I would ask them & see what they have to say.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:36 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Also if you are swapping to LED taillights be sure you change out your flasher relays... It may also require your hazards as well.

MO
Old 12-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

If you do the install, please post back on what it took to get the leds to work with the sequentials. I'd like to switch to leds too but have been holding off until I know what will work.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:12 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

each LED works on 2.3 volts. add 6 of them in series, and you have the proper resistance.
Be sure what you are buying, as they come in all colors, and it would not do to buy blue bulbs for your tail lights.
If you want to differenciate between stop and tail lights, remove one LED and replace it with an 80 ohm resistor, and there you have a stop light "bulb". 10 watt resistors should be big enough.
So each taillight segment needs 6, and each stoplight needs 5 and the resistor. You might want to make a double row of bulbs for the tail light in a circle, and intensify the center of the light board as the stoplight by bunching the LEDs together in the center of the tail light circle.
Or, make the top half of the light circle the tail light, and the bottom of the circle the stoplight.

In order to make them, go to radio shack and get their circuit board material cut to size, and solder up a set of bulbs.
THen you have to open up each tail light to install the LED sets. This the hard part.... get the tail light back together so it is water tight. Lowes sells a product called Strong-Stik by dap. It seems to be easy to work with, and is strong.
Remember, if you screw it up, you can also buy used tail lights for about $10 each or less or make a set ahead of time.

I was thinking of using a tail light bulb brass socket, and filling it with epoxy to make it crush proof, and then soldering it to two brass strips then mounting the little boards to that. You have to mount it to the tail light connector, then seal it up. Maybe not easy, but you understand that the LED life is about 500 times longer than the incandescent bulb.
Then as previously stated, since the LEDs use such little current, you have to add a resistor to your flasher unit to give the sense coil a ground to flip.
Probably the E flasher as well. These are ultra cheap at wrecking yards. Buy a couple of each to insure that you can make one if you screw one up.

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 12-26-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Web Electric Sequential Turns Signs

Quick Reply: Web Electric Sequential Turns Signs