C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

direction of car discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 10:27 PM
vetteson
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default direction of car discussion

Bought a 96 lt4 car and I am having a guy go over the motor and do what you would call a "soft rebuild" on it. Just putting new bearings, rings, seals and check tolerances on the motor since it was running well but had low oil pressure at idle when I bought it. He, and everyone of my buddies have said I should throw a small cam in it while the motor is out. Thing is, I am trying to keep from going overboard on this car and just have fun with it, and buy more purpose built vehicles later on, but a sprayed c4 would sure be a fun car.

So discussion is would a nitrous cam be worth it. Understand I am doing no supporting mods, just a cam and a wet kit with all the safety bells and whistles on it (okay I lie maybe an exhaust, but that is it I promise) Or should I stick with just a small cam. Or is it even worth doing it without doing heads and intake with it also?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:02 PM
84vette96
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have it all apart,,,Start porting the heads and intake. Put headers on now so you don't have to take off the manifolds later. Yes to a cam. Yes to nitrous. Just remember the crank and rods are stock and don't over spray.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont go nuts on the porting, they are already 195cc. Less is more with a mild cam in your case.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:30 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Definitely a cam and I agree about headers, but they can be done afterward if $ is tight. If it was me, I would have it stroked while it was apart.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Are you going to track it? If so a cam would be helpful, if not the speed limits haven't changed and you already have pretty good power with the LT4. Then you're going to have professional tuners going forward. Not just any joe schmo will know what they're doing.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

? Is this for real?
Old 03-16-2011, 11:06 PM
vetteson
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes to taking it to the track, both 1/4 mile and a few local road courses. Nothing too serious, just enough to keep my appetite satisfied until I can get out of the barracks and get a garage and pick up cheap dedicated racing cars and then just use the vette as a quick weekend car. Actually the waiting on getting out of the barracks is another reason why I don't go farther with modding this vette. I don't have the desire to tinker with this car in a parking lot and don't want to take over my buddies garage where the car will be at.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:56 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never nitrous a LT4.. too rare, and you could easily f it up and destroy your nice new engine.. If you want serious power, do it properly with pistons, balancing and all the whistles

I would put the GM hotcam in it and port all your heads and intake, get them to match.
This will make the car how it should have been from the factory, add some decent hp, plus it would ADD VALUE to the car when you come to sell.
Just my opinion
Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

The LT4 is a great engine. How great? Just read the dozens of posts from LT1 owners trying to upgrade to LT4 specs / performance. I have an LT4 and I put an LT4 Hot Cam and Extreme Duty timing chain set in it. I CANNOT over emphasize how well thought out these factory upgrades are. It was designed to be, and is, a truly drop in affair. All factory. 425 horsepower . Runs with the stock tune; breezes through smog; zero drivability issues. Gotta love it. One caveat, the stock LT4 head / spring pack valve lift is limited to 0.525 inch, so don't go overboard.

Get notified of new replies

To direction of car discussion

Quick Reply: direction of car discussion