C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dim dashlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 PM
jsanders
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dim dashlights

The whole instrument display is dim on my '84 Vette. I went to the helpful website vetteoz sent and did all the things recommended to correct the dim dashlights: (1) Re-soldered the large connector, large capacitor, large resistors, etc. on circuit boards, (2) ran a new ground wire as recommended by Bill Blake on one circuit board, (3) cleaned ground wires terminals at left rear of engine [no success] (4) ran new ground wire from the two connectors [3 ground leads] and connected to radio ground wire, (5) cleaned and re-assembled the instrument panel. My dashlights are still dim except when I turn on headlights at night. ANY NEW RECOMMENDATION?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check your fuses? TAIL and INSTR both control lights on the dash. Keep me posted, at least you have em at night. Mine are dark always.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 PM
jsanders
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My speedometer and tachometer are really dim and gotten dimmer within the past year. I can look really hard in daytime and see all the other gauges at top center of instrument panel.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:13 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As long as I am not wearing sunglasses, I can read mine during the day but not at all at night. I had a very knowledgable Forum member help me go thru a comprehensive test sequence to basically come right back to the dash itself. One of the sites made reference to micro cracks in the solder joints. That is getting a little too far from my skill set. My dash works other than the light circuit so I ease around at night and make sure the tank has plenty of gas before I leave home, lol. I ran out twice on one trip from AL to FL and one time was serious BFE Alabama. Luckily it was hunting season or I woulda had a 12 mile walk. I bought 2 gallons of 4 wheeler gas from a camp about a mile away. A lucky break.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wait....you went to a hunting camp....in AL.....at night....and didnt squeal like a pig?

Get notified of new replies

To Dim dashlights

Quick Reply: Dim dashlights