Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hot Rod Anti-mod members step in, and pro-mods too !

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:34 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Ill give you a shopping list of parts and bring it over.
Guarantee it will pass
Old 03-10-2011, 08:46 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Ill give you a shopping list of parts and bring it over.
Guarantee it will pass
Don't be shy...let's see the list. Could be good 'Ultimate DIY' info. Since Cali is the anti-smog leader with many states following suit, would be a good list for all.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:47 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Calderone
lOl mine ?
Rumor has it the L98 uses the same block as Cheby trucks in the 80s
Old 03-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by socalman
Rumor has it the L98 uses the same block as Cheby trucks in the 80s
So ...what's the downside of it ?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:42 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Sammy,There is no down side, chevys blocks are tough,you just have to make sure you get one without much core shift if your building an engine..My 383 was made with a 4 bolt block out of a 80s truck....WW

Last edited by WW7; 03-11-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:32 AM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

It means Chevy trucks have Corvette Motors !!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,943 Posts

I would love to know what do the antimod crowd say about this , why not ?

do you think your car lost the value with all the mods ?

do you think it won't be reliable anymore ? (if its not broken why fix it approach ? )

I won't be racing my car much but i love to mod it , i don't want to hurt the antimod crowd's feelings
Who owns the car? You or them? As I always say, if you want me to act on your opinion for certain, you best be writing my paycheck or giving me some sex (women only).

Depends on what you want to do with it. Are you trying to sell it as a collector's item (assuming you can) or not?

Well, the more you stress it, the less reliable it gets. How unreliable do you think you can put up with? If my car does a 6 second quarter mile, it probably will need an engine rebuild very quickly.

Why? If you enjoy the hobby, WGAS what they have to say unless the are blowing you or writing your paycheck? If something that minor gets them so offended at you that they cease association, you are probably better off. Have you ever read the story of "The old man, the boy and the donkey"?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:50 PM
yedister
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I want / need to change my car to suit my taste. If I want a different color, rims, seats and engine it is my choice. IF I worry about how much it will be worth in 15 - 20 years, then I worry about how much miles I put on it. Then it becomes a garage queen that goes out on rare occasions. What is the purpose of having a car in the garage that you want to drive but, won't because it will demish the possible value in later years. Hell you might not even be alive to collect on the possible winfall that might or might not come true.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:18 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

A little history from the 60s' I was there and lived it.
Lots of Corvette owners took the split out of the back window of their 63 coupes to make them look like later models. Many of them then added 2 more tail lights, shaved the front bumper , radiused the rear wheels in order to fit wide tires, added 67 fender louvers and 427 hood scoops.
They totally ruined the collector value of the car BUT they had fun doing it and enjoyed looking bad-arsed at the time.
In the last few years the bargain hunters have rescued a lot of these early C2s and returned them to stock. Probably cost them a ton of money too.
I believe that the Challenge series, ZR1s, LT4s, Grand Sports and Callaways are the future collectible C4s. If you are going to modify them then you might want to save the original parts just to honor them and to make it easier for someone down the road to restore them.
I probably should not have thrown the hub caps away on my 65 vert when I installed Torque Thrust Ds as they are worth hundreds of dollars now. But then again I have moved more than 15 times since then. What are the chances of me still having all 4 and them being in good condition after all that time?
I probably should not have sold it for $2,000 and change when I got orders for Vietnam. But what are the chances of it still being in decent shape after all those moves and all those times I had no money and no storage space?
As others have said. It is your car. Enjoy it now and use it as you see fit but please don't destroy on of the future classics either.
The young me and the old 65 (yes they are 66 hub caps).

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Anti-mod members step in, and pro-mods too !