C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Heartbroken over bad luck

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:20 PM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Heartbroken over bad luck

On the 23rd of last month the fuel pump went bad on my dads truck. He needed a way to get to work so I told him to take my black '87 'vette. Reluctantly he said ok ... where he works is only about 2 miles away. Later that day I got a phone call from him. He was sitting at a stop sign facing north, a teen-age boy in a ford ranger was headed west on the road in front of my dad. There was a teen-age girl headed east on that same road as the teen-age boy. My dad noticed the boy was checking out my car and the boy made a last minute decistion to turn up the road where my dad was sitting. The boy cut-off the girl headed east causing her to hit him and his ranger then hit my 'vette.

Luckly no one was hurt in the accident. I rushed to the scene once I got the call from my dad. It's going to need a new hood, pop-up headlight parts, fog light, new front bumper, paint, and body molding...

wait... it gets worse....

The boys insurance company has confirmed he did have insurance (Thank God), and the investigation has shown the boy was at fault.
I had an estimate done for repairs and there are 2, maybe 3 parts they can not get new from GM. However, the parts they can get and labor have met the blue book value of the car already though. So even though there is no frame damage or anything really serious, I will find out after Tuesday if they are going to total out my trophy winning '87 Z52 coupe.

So, now I guess it's a waiting game to find out if that is what is going to happen for sure. I bet they will only be paying blue book value, but in all honesty - the car is worth much more than that, it was beautiful! Maybe I need to contact a lawyer. I hate being that way - after all accidents happen. I just keep thinking .. "why should I be out".

I'm sick to my stomach, yes, I've shed a few tears. These aren't just cars to me, they are my pride and joy. I have a dream of owning 1 of each generation at the same time. Now all I can think of is that one of my babies is hurt and I might be without one of them. Not much helps how I feel at this point.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 04-02-2011, 01:43 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Glad no one was hurt for sure. I am afraid you probly will be outa luck other than blue book. I would push the fact that its a trophy winner and you might get a little more. Usually it takes receipts for major work like an engine replacement or a recent high dollar paint job to get any extra.

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:09 PM
cadwiz_01Z
Burning Brakes

Location: When Democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizens will still get to vote!
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would suggest getting in touch with someone in your area that deals in classics/hot rods. They should be able to give you an appraisal of true cost as opposed to what a 24yo chevy would go for. My BIL had to do this for some restored VW Bugs that were damaged in a garage fire. Also, when I totaled my bike, State Farm told me their values came from NADA.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:31 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

See what the insurance company tells you. You always have the option of taking the money they would give you to total it, and using that money to fix it. If you do that it won't be a salvage title. Find used parts where you can and do as much of the work as you can yourself, and you might come out ahead.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:32 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They don't total cars just based on bluebook. My 97 camaro in excellent shape went above blue book in damages in a rear end accident and the other persons insurance just fixed everything. They also take into account the cars overall condition and can a similiar model be found to replace it. Seems to be more factors then just what a book says the car is worth. I think just the body repair alone on my car was like 3400.00 plus rental car fee's etc. so by the time everything was done and said yes cheaper to total car so didn't they lol.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:15 PM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope everything works out for you and you can work something out.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:34 PM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is why I have my insurance with a specialty Co. for cars like ours. You set the value that you want for your car. If it is a DD than that is different.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Hey Brett, from the sounds of Blackbird Z07's above experience you may still get to fix your Vette & not have a salvage title. That would be my choice especially if you get more than bluebook for the car and do the labor yourself. Might be an "almost" happy ending to this yet.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 PM
RLG
Burning Brakes

The insurance company has to replace your car at a like /kind value.

If they low ball it, tell them to find you one as good as yours was.

my 78 Silver anniversary was ripped and they tried the old "Blue Book" trick.

I found two that were close to mine and they were for sale at around $ 5000.00 more than they wanted to give.

They paid me what my car was worth.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:16 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Think of the people who've gone thru natural disasters like: Katrina, Haiti, Japan, etc.... Then, there's the middle east and countries where you couldn't even own your cars.

Probably doesn't help you feel better but my point is: Things could be worse.

Also (this may have been mentioned above)...you nomally would have the option to buy back the "wreck" after total. Depending on the "valueables" inside, or added on, you may be better off. Also, consider the salvage aspect. (IOW, parting it out.)
Old 04-02-2011, 09:40 PM
BigDR
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ditto:

[QUOTE=RLG;1577238522]The insurance company has to replace your car at a like /kind value.

If they low ball it, tell them to find you one as good as yours was.

my 78 Silver anniversary was ripped and they tried the old "Blue Book" trick.

I found two that were close to mine and they were for sale at around $ 5000.00 more than they wanted to give.

They paid me what my car was worth.[/QUO
Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 AM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have our '94 insured through the Corvette Museum Classic Car Insurance program with an established "agreed" value. That would probably be a positive factor in an accident such as this since the insurance company providing insurance on the Corvette has agreed to its value. The only drawback is if your car is a daily driver.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Vette758702
Maybe I need to contact a lawyer. I hate being that way - after all accidents happen. I just keep thinking .. "why should I be out".
You keep thinking like that and you will get REAMED.If you dont want the car totaled work the numbers and find a way to keep the number down.Just how much are you working with the at faults insurance company?Is it their estimator,their numbers?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by joesgulfstream
That is why I have my insurance with a specialty Co. for cars like ours. You set the value that you want for your car. If it is a DD than that is different.
except I did the agreed value with my regular ins carrier, State Farm. They insured my `90 for 23 grand.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:59 PM
wnafly
Pro

I'm sorry to hear of your bad luck, I bet your dad feels terrible. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by kenv
except I did the agreed value with my regular ins carrier, State Farm. They insured my `90 for 23 grand.
I did the same and I can take the car out whenever I want to, no restrictions on anything.

Get notified of new replies

To Heartbroken over bad luck

Old 04-04-2011, 06:28 AM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

Originally Posted by kenv
Sounds good but on the other hand I would think that cost is quite high Ken ? I take my Vette out whenever I want and always have a second destination to go too just in case.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:00 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Insurance companies are scum bags, they will immediately try to low ball the repair number. As someone else said, work at getting your own number from an expert, especially one who is familiar with vettes and send the insurance company your numbers even before they can send you theirs. Stand firm and threaten legal action if necessary! And don't forget to demand a rental car while your vette is being repaired.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Bob M
Drifting

Quick Reply: Heartbroken over bad luck