C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Replacing back up light switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:13 PM
asjwalsh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing back up light switch

OK, so here's my story... First I have not added to a previous thread about BU lights because I did that a few weeks ago and got a snotty warning from a mod that it is against the rules to dredge an old (over 45 days) thread up. Quite why is beyond me, if it is brought up to bring new light to an old problem. If it is to advertise or rehash an issue then maybe I can see the reason, but I digress.

So I bought the 94 Admiral Blue coupe a month ago. I felt confident that I had checked as much as I could before parting with my cash, but nevertheless overlooked the back up lights. One side note is that in the glove box the previous owner had left a weird looking thing in a plastic bag. The dealer had no idea what it was, but I put it in my garage for safe-keeping, along with a million other useless gadgets that we all cannot throw away.

Well my daughter informed me the other day that the back-up lights were not working so I started researching the issue. Plenty of old threads here informed me if it wasn't the bulbs or fuse it was most likely the switch. More research revealed the identity of that odd item now somewhere in my garage. A new back up switch that the previous owner hadn't got around to replacing, worth anywhere from $80-$130!! Phew! I found it and started to work out how to get it in. According to other threads you can get it in without removing the exhaust pipes or the clutch actuator. So off comes the front spoiler, up the too steep ramps it goes, and under the car I dive.

Upon identifying old switch I discover it is finger loose! Weird...I guess previous owner had started to change it but ran out of time. So with the tips of two fingers I undo the switch 1 degree at a time until it finally falls out. Yes! This will be easier than I thought. Grab new switch, and that is when I realise it is impossible to hold it and twist it into the gearbox case. IMPOSSIBLE!!!! So I have to take the clutch actuator off. Grab a wrench and the top nut comes off too easily. That is when I notice that the bottom nut is rounded off.....Try as I might, I cannot free it. Did I mention I started this job at 0650, the wife is due home at 1100, and is expecting a lunch date. It's now 0830 and I have just worked out why the previous owner never put the switch in; he couldn't manage it. Bummer.

Not only that, but I just realised that I have a car I cannot drive anywhere without losing gearbox oil. Nightmare. If it had been about 1700 it would have been beer time. Instead, I sat dejectedly wondering what I could do. And that is when I came up with an ingenious solution. Taking a 3/4" wrench, some duct tape and a huge dose of patience I spent the next hour carefully balancing the switch in front of the hole by resting it on the wrench, then using my finger tips to just make the screw rotate a few degrees. I must have done it 100 times, easily, only for it to fall onto my face, but suddenly, 101st try, the threads engaged, I lowered the wrench and the switch was still attached. More finger tip twitching and good grief, I HAD IT!!! Grab the 7/8" wrench and tighten it up. The act of replacing the wiring was a doddle by comparison.

Finally, ignition on, walk to the back of the car with baited breath, and lo and behold, four white lights.

The car was back together, the garage looked as though nothing had happened, I am out of my yard work clothes freshly showered. The wife comes home, looking tired and says "do you mind if we skip lunch, I'm a little tired. By the way, have you done the laundry?"

Anyway, that's my story, just wanted to share it with y'all
Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
CDN/AZ LT4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story. I had also started a thread a while ago about back up lights and got some great advice from guys on this forum that also lead me to believe it's my back light switch that is the culprit. So while I'm installing my new Hurst short throw shifter, thought that I would also tackle the back up light switch. I figured that it would be straightforward as I had to remove the exhaust system from the cats back anyway. I get a 3/4" wrench on the switch, can't get a good bite, so I take the slave cylinder off as well and I still can't get a good enough bite to loosen the switch. I sprayed the switch with WD40 and reconsidered my options. Before proceeding to really put the boots to the switch I think I better pick up a new one. Off to the Chevy dealership where parts guy who tells me they're about $100. and by the way they're a discontinued item so he can't get me one. Ordered one from Mid America and had it shipped to my AZ address which is where I'm headed Friday night for a week. Coming back on the 15th with the new switch and hoping I can get the old one out and the new in, exhaust re-installed and on the road again. The idea of trying to start threading the switch 101 times is not a confidence builder!! Thanks for the story though...it just shows that sometimes ingenuity and patience pays off.
Peter
Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Been there, ALMOST done it!
Went to Sears to buy an offset wrench for the job. Too much $$ for a wrench I might only use once! Went to Harbor Freight and got a full set of cheap-o's for $10 less than the 1 Craftsman wrench.
Found out how much the switch was and how hard to find! While researching new switches, I changed the trany Oil and went with some Amsoil Manual Synchromesh synthetic fluid. After the oil change the shifts were much improved and that night I noticed that the backup lights were working again! Don't know if the Amsoil was responsible for freeing up a sticky switch or what, but It's been a year and still working.
I'm remembering all the tips and tricks that everybody talks about though just in case!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
Been there, ALMOST done it!
Went to Sears to buy an offset wrench for the job. Too much $$ for a wrench I might only use once! Went to Harbor Freight and got a full set of cheap-o's for $10 less than the 1 Craftsman wrench.
Found out how much the switch was and how hard to find! While researching new switches, I changed the trany Oil and went with some Amsoil Manual Synchromesh synthetic fluid. After the oil change the shifts were much improved and that night I noticed that the backup lights were working again! Don't know if the Amsoil was responsible for freeing up a sticky switch or what, but It's been a year and still working.
I'm remembering all the tips and tricks that everybody talks about though just in case!
Greatest product endorsement I've read all year!

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing back up light switch

Quick Reply: Replacing back up light switch