C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Question about the 4+3 trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Vetteatlast
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question about the 4+3 trans

Ive had my vette for 3 yrs now and I already serviced the overdrive side of the trans and it works great and shifts fine .For the winter I have the car jacked up on jackstands with the wheels removed and I supported the halfshafts with w/ more jackstands and was running thru the gears at low rpms but when I engaged the overdrive ,I get a loud rumbling noise but when i disengage the OD ,it quiets down quite a bit. Ive heard the horror stories about overdrive side of this trans and was wordering if this is a start of the overdrive going out completely or what would cause it to only droan loadly in overdrive such as a bearing?
Thanx for any Info
Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Take it off of the jackstands and put it on the road. If you tried to run it through its paces in overdrive while still on jackstands, you probably heard all kinds of strange noises! If it was fine when you parked it, it'll be fine when you get it on the road. They don't go bad just sitting there. Lots of the horror "stories" you may have heard are just that....."stories". Most of any problems are caused by unknowledgable owners who don't know how to maintain a car transmission.

Quick Reply: Question about the 4+3 trans