cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Default 1995 door panels

The door panels on my 1995 coupe are loose at the top
{what a surprise}. Has any one installed the reproductions
that ecklers sells and can you tell me what kind of project
it is or should i get a dealer to do the job?

Thanks in advance for any input
Old 04-08-2011, 02:39 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Look this up on both the General Discussion and especially the Tech section. You will find tons of info on loose door panels. They can be an easy fix if nothing is broken. This is a common problem on late C4's. The "Search this forum" feature is your best friend here!

Last edited by F22; 04-08-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:42 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...panel-fix.html
Old 04-08-2011, 05:40 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Pretty complex repair and not disagreeing that it works, I'm sure it does, but try this first, as my observation on my 95' was that the big rubber blocks that are part of the weatherstrip end on the top of the door. What you have, is two big thick chunks of rubber on either end, pushing the door panel up and out, which in turn leaves the thin overhang that would normally hook on the edge, up in the air.

Plus, the late C4's didnt use steel screws in the bottom of the door panel to hold it down, but used plastic push-in 'xmas' tree fasteners. These fasteners can bend upwards, because the rubber chunks on the top of the door exert more force than what's holding them in at the bottom.

Finally, the late C4's don't have a screw in the back of the door panel itself, which is key. The early C4's have a sheet metal screw that holds the side edge of the door panel into a tab. That's two separate points of holding that panel in place on the early C4's, with screws, while the late C4's had no screw on the side edge and plastic xmas trees on the bottom. The tab is still there on the late C4's and is part of the door structure.

Here is my take on the door fix. I know I responded to this in Tech, but want to make sure this guy gets it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...panel-fix.html
Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This only takes a few hours for both panels I used aluminum cut it,bolted it in.instead if rivets.I also put some JB WELD behind the aluminum before installing it.
now there good as new
Old 04-08-2011, 07:25 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
Pretty complex repair and not disagreeing that it works, I'm sure it does, but try this first, as my observation on my 95' was that the big rubber blocks that are part of the weatherstrip end on the top of the door. What you have, is two big thick chunks of rubber on either end, pushing the door panel up and out, which in turn leaves the thin overhang that would normally hook on the edge, up in the air.
I didn't think it was that hard of a repair. Got some thin metal strips at Lowes, tinsnipes, cut to size, drill holes and rivet...only took me an hour a door.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bac22
I didn't think it was that hard of a repair. Got some thin metal strips at Lowes, tinsnipes, cut to size, drill holes and rivet...only took me an hour a door.
It's not that hard if you have a mechanical aptitude and have been handling tools and metalwork, but some of the people posting here haven't done anything like that (this guy has a body shop qouting him $500 a panel, so obviously, he's not comfortable with even removing the door panels). I can do that repair, but the ribs weren't broken and that wasn't the cause, the rubber blocks were and are the initial cause of the loose door panels on all late C4's. My one brother is a master mechanic at a dealership. In contrast, my other brother, is an engineer, who has trouble driving a stickshift, much less doing repairs!

Your fix is great if the ribs are broke, but if they aren't I'd still say go for the easy repair first. Then go for the tin snips, measuring out the pieces, gluing or riveting them, etc.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:49 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My top was loose and it was broken ribs.
The only way he will tell is to pull the panel.
new replacement panels are 500 bucks each,I would go that route before paying 500 bucks for someone to fix my panels
Old 04-09-2011, 08:48 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Removal and replacement are easy, paying for new panels aren't.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:09 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
Look this up on both the General Discussion and especially the Tech section. You will find tons of info on loose door panels. They can be an easy fix if nothing is broken. This is a common problem on late C4's. The "Search this forum" feature is your best friend here!
Door panels on ALL the C4's are a problem I have Corvette America replacement panels and they are crap too. If you do buy new ones check the lip that goes over the door carefully to make sure its uniform in width and is formed correctly especially around where the defrost ducting is. Its common to have this area deformed where the door lip wont slip into the space provided.

And as stated and provided there are tons of fixes posted here. Check out the search function. Click the advanced option and enter door panel fix or repair and at the bottom select the C4 General or the Tech forums for help.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:25 PM
pianoguy
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A couple small "L" brackets mounted on existing bolts at the top of the door will keep the panel from slipping off. Just align them with the ridge that the panel sits on.

Get notified of new replies

To 1995 door panels

Quick Reply: 1995 door panels