C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Mo's Electric Corvette- Lot of Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 09:01 AM
UV231 Project
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mo,

If I may ask. Why do you need to get permission to talk about your build? Have I missed something since I last checked in? BTW - What have you done or going to do with the older 11 motors and controllers? I still need stuff for my EV Corvair Project. Just last night I was looking at EVwest site and the PG setup again at 5k. But I'm on the fence now about which way to go. 1. Like what you have done to get the most Miles from it or 2. Race and some street. Either way two 11 motors would be great.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:14 AM
UV231 Project
Advanced

Another possible option for me would be using a Tesla setup like in the picture. At 5k for the PG setup alone from EVWest I would be part way there to the 9k figure for one of these. Plus I would get suspension and brakes too. Not to mention I would not have to buy a differential case and gears. Maybe I could go with two of these - one in the back where the factory Corvair power-plant was and one up front under the trunk. What are your thoughts going with this kind of setup in either configuration?

Last edited by UV231 Project; 06-24-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:24 AM
UV231 Project
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mo_Bandy
I use a window switch that when the rpms below 400 rpms turns on a pump (which is essentially a diesel fuel pump) to circulate the trans fluid to the transmission. Once I’m above 800 rpms the pump shuts off and the internal trans pump takes over.

Best regards,
Mo
Mo,

Did you use the window switch that comes with the PG setup or did you opt for your own?
Also how do you go about shifting? (Poor memory - But I think I heard them say last night when listening to the video on the PG setup with 2 motors that it is now a manual shift auto. They also say on their site that it is for race use only.) So how do you use it for the street and how do you shift? Thank you, Tony
Old 06-25-2018, 11:32 AM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by UV231 Project
Mo,

If I may ask. Why do you need to get permission to talk about your build? Have I missed something since I last checked in? BTW - What have you done or going to do with the older 11 motors and controllers? I still need stuff for my EV Corvair Project. Just last night I was looking at EVwest site and the PG setup again at 5k. But I'm on the fence now about which way to go. 1. Like what you have done to get the most Miles from it or 2. Race and some street. Either way two 11 motors would be great.
Hi Uve231!

I'm under an NDA with Netgain at the moment for the motors and controller specs), as the specs have not been released to the public as of yet. The motors will be shipping to me mid-August...
I can share literally everything else.

I can tell you they look like the pictures I have posted I will will be Siamesing (if there is such a word) these together on my Powerglide.

They are AC and I will have brake regen, so i am expecting to hit possibly 200 miles range with the car.

I had to reconfigure my pack to 144V from the 360V for the controllers which will be running at 144V.

Man! I have completely sold off my other motors, the Siamese 11's went to Las Vegas and my Siamese 9" went to a guy in Maryland.

My experience, I personally liked running dual 9" motors over the 11's, you sacrifice a little torque over the 11" motors however, you save about 100 pounds and they spin up a bit faster.

The key to getting the most miles is definitely battery technology.

As an example I was running 108 CALB 100AH cells they weighed about 750 pounds... I was averaging about 80 miles range.
I went with 14 Tesla S modules they are about 50-55 pounds each, I ( changing nothing else) increased my range to average of about 160-180 miles.
The 9" motors are a bit more efficient at cruising RPM than the 11" motors...
the 9" motors efficiency is 90% at roughly from ~3100 -4400 rpm ( the love cruising at this higher rpm)
the 9" torque is 100Ft/lbs at 500 amps ( so 150ft lbs at 750 amps) you can go to about 800 for a short period of time..

The 11" motors
the efficiency is about 90% at roughly 1900 rpm's
the torque is 135 at 500 amps, so about 200 ft lbs at 750 Amps ( at the sacrifice of more weight)

I look at the 9" motors ore like a small block higher rev and more hp and the 11" motors more like a big block, low rev and more torque.

I hope this helps.
MO
The following users liked this post:
UV231 Project (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 11:42 AM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Another possible option for me would be using a Tesla setup like in the picture. At 5k for the PG setup alone from EVWest I would be part way there to the 9k figure for one of these. Plus I would get suspension and brakes too. Not to mention I would not have to buy a differential case and gears. Maybe I could go with two of these - one in the back where the factory Corvair power-plant was and one up front under the trunk. What are your thoughts going with this kind of setup in either configuration?

These have a lot of power but you would be doing a ton of frame modifications, you would need to double check your width ( track) of your car, I considered these with the vette and they were about 4" wider than my track of my car.
I believe they were showing on EVwest like 21K for a fully working system.

If you are considering going with AC I would suggest looking ad Siamesing the HYPer 9's from NetGain.. the AC motors generally do not have as much torque as the DC motors, so if you are looking to "ropm" aruond so to speak and still get reasonable range, again I would say go with the 9" motors.

The tesla motors require alot of battery to drive them, I'm not sure you would have enough room for 16 tesla modules, I pretty much filled up my Vette with 14 modules... They are 3" high x 12" wide x about 27" long.

Mo
Old 06-25-2018, 12:23 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Mo,

Did you use the window switch that comes with the PG setup or did you opt for your own?
Also how do you go about shifting? (Poor memory - But I think I heard them say last night when listening to the video on the PG setup with 2 motors that it is now a manual shift auto. They also say on their site that it is for race use only.) So how do you use it for the street and how do you shift? Thank you, Tony
I actually when with a different pump from the window switch that EVWest is using.
The one I am using has a pressure switch as well as is valved so, when i come to a stop, it senses the pressure is below 100psi to the transmission, when I take off ~ 250 rpms's the internal transmission pump of course builds pressure and once it hits the 100 psi ( which is almost instantaneous) the pump shuts off and I go on my merry way.

Correct the transmission is a 2 speed manual valve automatic. In most cases I leave it in 2nd gear (D) most of the time, the first gear is 1.80 and the second gear of course is 1.00, that is with my current rear end. So you can always start in low if you like hit the pedal and manually shift to D. It is a racing trans so it likes to have some throttle on it going into Drive as it will bang your eyeballs loose. LOL if you are in town buzzing around you can elect to just keep it in Low and it is very torquey as it would with an ICE ( internal combustion motor).

I have been using mine on the street for about 3 years, with adequate cooling ( mine never gets above 120 degrees since there is no heat soak from an engine).
If you have room, you could put a manual on them just as easy, but that said other than an occasional small drip or leak I have had no issues with mine.

MO
Old 06-25-2018, 01:48 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

It has been a little bit since I have updated the project.
So I will be going to Siamese AC motors, that will not have quite the torque of my DC motors but will spin up to about 8000 rpm's and run about 95% efficient.
They will be coupled to my existing shorty powerglide transmission.
I had to reconfigure my battery pack from 340V DC to 144V for the new controllers that i will be using, so rather than 340V at 230AH I will be running 144V at 460 AH which is essentially the same battery pack power I had before about 67 kilowatts.
The new system will allow me to "brake regen" which means as I apply the brakes the motors turn into a generator and recharge the batteries allowing my to go farther than I have in the past where i essentially would lose that energy. so in the past I was averaging about 160 miles per charge, now I'm expecting to see about 200 miles range.

I'm anxiously awaiting the motors to arrive they are supposed to ship mid august, and have been wiring everything in order to be ready to essentially plug everything in when it comes.
The motors are prototypes that have not been released to the public yet, but Netgain has asked me to Beta test them for them, so I cant share much about the specifications, other than I will be shedding about 100 pounds in weight but are similar to the HYPER 9D motors.
I'm still expecting to be at least 5 second 0-60 and top speed at least 120 mph.

Here are a few pictures to at least show you where I am at at the moment.

This is the Vacuum pump for the power Brakes, the brake vacuum canister, the DC-DC convertor, which takes the 144v and charges my 12 battery for the lights and wipers etc. and the power steering pump

the white box, contains the contactors for switching the high voltage to the motors. The red leads on the floor will go from the controllers to the motors.

This is a view behind the driver seat, the fuse boxes for the battery Management system, my AQ1 logging computer, the connect box, which records the battery pack amps , voltage , battery temps, cell voltages, and state of charge of the battery pack. The wires still need a little tidying up, but they will be covered with carpeting and hidden by the driver seat back. The aluminum in the cargo area is the battery box for the 12 Tesla S battery Modules...

12 Tesla S-85 Battery Modules 6 Series 2 parallel 144V 460AH

Shunt and Motor High Voltage Disconnect Box

In the foreground Motor HV disconnects,wiring getting closer to finished, literally everything below will be hidden by a plate that will have the onboard battery charger on it.

I will keep those interested up to date as I start getting this closer to finished, if you have questions or just curious pop me a line...
I'm hopeful to be on the road in September before the remaining Car shows stop for the Winter...

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!
MO
Old 06-25-2018, 04:43 PM
UV231 Project
Advanced

Mo,

I've been following this thread for years now. Thank you again for sharing all this!
Old 06-28-2018, 01:14 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Thanks for the update
Old 06-29-2018, 07:42 AM
jsmcol
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts

Once again, this is just incredible, the amount of brain power that is going into this build is super-human!
I think I'm reasonably intelligent, but most of this is way over my head, I feel like I'd be tangled up in a mass of wires!!

Keep up the good work, would love to see a video of this car going through it's paces when you have it going again.

Jim
Old 06-30-2018, 08:34 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Thanks for the updates Mo.
I'm blown away by the efficiency of the electric motors.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:02 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

OK, we're anxiously awaiting a late summer update
Old 08-27-2018, 12:04 PM
JCrock
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 08-27-2018, 09:27 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ghlkal
OK, we're anxiously awaiting a late summer update
Hi Guys,
Thanks for pinging me.

So now that Netgain has gone public with the new motors I can share more, They are called HYPER 9D HV ac motors... 3 phase ACSynchronous Reluctance Internal Permanent Magnet and it is powered by a Synchronous X1 Controller inverter.
I will be running two motors Siamese as I have done in the past with my shorty Powerglide Transmission.
Each motor is about 95 Kw at 4800 RPM and they will rev to 8000 RPM's, so about 255HP @ 4800 rpm and 325 FT/ lbs of torque from 0- about 4500 rpm's.
These are not as torquey as the DC motors, but the efficiency actually goes from about 85% for the DC motors, to almost 95% with the new motors.
Since these are AC motors, I can brake regen, which is essentially turning the motors into generators, so when you hit the brakes, they will recharge the batteries.
I was getting about 180 miles to a charge with the DC motors I now expect to see about 200 miles or more with the new system.
Also I will be shedding about 200 pounds in weight as well as the car will be in the 3300 pound range.

So now for the sad news...
The motors are coming from Italy and were supposed to be delivered the first week of August, I found out that they are now not going to deliver until November, so it is upsetting I will be missing all the major car shows planned in August and September.
As you saw in the pictures above, I'm pretty much prewired just waiting for the product to come in.

I will keep you posted, thank you for your continued interest.

Thanks!
MO

Old 08-27-2018, 09:34 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jsmcol
Once again, this is just incredible, the amount of brain power that is going into this build is super-human!
I think I'm reasonably intelligent, but most of this is way over my head, I feel like I'd be tangled up in a mass of wires!!

Keep up the good work, would love to see a video of this car going through it's paces when you have it going again.

Jim
Hi Jim,
I have a few You tube Videos floating around of the earlier days of the conversion.
If you do a Google search on "Wayne Bickley Electric Corvette Mo Amps" it will bring up the links and photos.
I'm originally from Sandusky...
Best regards,
MO

Last edited by Mo_Bandy; 08-27-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:03 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Promote Cleaner Air & Say Phuc U To The Oil Companies!

Mo,
Your electric Corvette project has a very positive effect on our air quality. We can't just keep burning fossil fuels until they're depleted, then start looking for alternative fuels/energy for our transportation. It's great to see that not only Tesla can make a cool & sleek looking electric car! Buy a decal that says something like "**** OPEC" and put it on your rear window.

Last edited by RetroGuy; 08-27-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:04 PM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Hi Guys,
I thought it was time for an update.
So my motors have been delayed since August and I just found out that they will finally ship in January, so it should be a busy time.

This is what the new drive train will look like
Stay tuned...
MO

Get notified of new replies

To Mo's Electric Corvette- Lot of Pictures

Old 12-13-2018, 11:29 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mo_Bandy
Hi Guys,
I thought it was time for an update.
So my motors have been delayed since August and I just found out that they will finally ship in January, so it should be a busy time.

Stay tuned...
MO
Nice ... can't wait to see the upgrade
Old 12-30-2018, 01:52 AM
Mo_Bandy
Melting Slicks

Close up of the contactor box and motor controllers. The motors are actually going to be brushed aluminum.

Kind of an over all view of the drive train and Battery pack. he front red ***** are the high voltage shut off switches so I can actually isolate the two motors while programming and testing. the total battery weight is 660 pounds, the transmission is about 85 pounds, the two motors combined are 240 pounds, the two controllers combined are 18 pounds... another 20 pounds in cabling the contactor box and shunt / shut off box combined are about 20 pounds. So roughly 1050 pounds. Originally I removed 983 pounds plus another 60 pounds in gasoline the car weighed 3460 pounds, so now I an probably right in that area again.

The motors are again delayed to the end of January, above is a rendering of what the system will look like.

I will keep you posted, I have 90% of the wiring finished , almost ready to plug everything in once it get here.

Happy New Years everyone!

MO
Old 12-30-2018, 05:53 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Nice renders, and thanks for sharing the update

Quick Reply: Mo's Electric Corvette- Lot of Pictures