Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rear wheel ABS wheel speed sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 02:18 AM
LT1*C4
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Rear wheel ABS wheel speed sensors?

Hoping someone can answer this for me 'cause I'm stumped.

BOTH my "ABS Wheel Speed Sensors" have welded themselves to the rear knuckles. Despite trying every possible method of removing them in one piece, I failed miserably. Searching the forums, I soon learned that it's actually quite common for these sensors to get seized in the knuckles due to corrosion and often the only way to remove them is with a hammer/chisel which of coarse,leads to their destruction.

Unfortunately, these sensors are not only ridiculously expensive at well over $100+ each - but I'm finding it very difficult to even find a place on-line that actually carries both left and right sides. Apparently, the left side has been discontinued and most places only have the right side.

Here's the question though. Why are the sensors listed individually and have separate part numbers?

Looking at my sensors, they both at least "appear" to be physically identical. Same length. Same connector on one end. Same sensor on the other end. Both have the same mounting bracket to secure the sensor to the knuckle. They both even have the exact same numbers on the head of the connections themselves (don't think it's a part number since I can't find it anywhere). 084 - 0265001 - 165 - 166 -1.

They both appear to be identical, so what gives? Does anybody know what the difference is between the two? I can't imagine GM would go through the trouble of creating two DIFFERENT sensors for left/right wheels, since both sensors have the same function and both get their readings from the same spindle design on both sides.

Is there even a difference?

Since the apparent "left side" has been discontinued, could I not buy two "right sides" since they both appear to be exactly the same?

Any info would be appreciated.

The car's a 1992 by the way.

Here's are some pic's I pulled off the web showing the sensor I'm referring to.

Last edited by LT1*C4; 06-18-2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Googled it and found this:

http://www.carpartsshed.com/Catalog/...Speed%20Sensor

Looks like the different part numbers denote which way the mounting tab points. Left side also appears to be after market.

Looks like you could use two right sides and flip one so the sensor mounts correctly.

It would really be strange if the system was sensitive enough so it then read the reversed right side sensor as turning in reverse or it somehow read both sensors as right side.

Last edited by Blue 92; 06-18-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:34 PM
kyyote
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope I won't let my stupidity go on display, but doesn't the oviod shaped mounting determine which side it mounts to? Like an "L*", if you flip the "L" and the asterisk is the mounting hole, it will no longer match up, or is there a conflict with the orientation of the cable if you can just flip the unit? Does the mounting bracket pivit freely, or is it permanantly oriented in the direction it comes? I just think it is unlikely that a part that could be used on either side would be listed as for one side or the other. Just seems way too easy, to me. I hope I'm wrong, for your sake, and that you have found an easy fix for your problem.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Y-ME
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a pair stting around one with no labe the other actually says LF on it denoting not only side but front or rear as well.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:59 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

when i did mine a few weeks ago, i took a thin flathead and tap it under the sensor and just worked my way around tapping it in with a hammer. took a little work but i got them unfrozen. yours may or may not be that easy
Old 06-19-2011, 05:45 PM
torchred89
Melting Slicks

All four are different. Look at the labels LR RR and LF RF
Old 06-19-2011, 06:30 PM
ßill
Racer

Are they really bad? I had an error on my '90 about 6 years and 60K miles ago. I cleaned them with an acid brush and compresses air, problem solved and no recurrence since. They had a bunch of filings in the gap. once cleaned out, all was good.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:38 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

Wow, didn't expect to get too many responses from this thread

Thanks again to those trying to help out.. I appreciate it.

I honestly don't know if the sensors themselves were/are bad, but I don't have a choice in the matter as I need 2 new ones anyway. The one in the passenger side knuckle was pulled out in pieces with a hammer and chisel after having wasted nearly an hour trying to git it out intact without harm. These suckers are just welded in there. The other is just as welded to the knuckle as the first one so I'm not going to have any luck their either.

The reason why the sensors have to come out is because the knuckles are going to be powder-coated and they can't have anything attached to them.

I've looked at the sensors I have now and as I stated earlier, both appear identical on the outside. Both have the same numbers etched into them and are both made by Bosch. The mounting tab isn't rotatable as far as I can tell, but I don't think it would matter anyways because the sensors are not attached to a hard-line, but a "flexible" line which can be twisted 10x over if they needed to be, so their isn't any problem I can see rotating the cable/sensor for use on one side or another.

However, I cannot rule out the possibility their maybe something different inside (however unlikely) so I'm going to have to buy the two separate part numbers (if anyone has them both) just to be safe.

---
---

Blue 92, thanks for the link. I'm going to call them tomorrow and confirm that they do have the two part numbers in stock. I also wanted to confirm that the "left side" pictured on their website has the same circular connection as the one pictured of their "right side".

Perhaps it's just a "generic" picture and not of the actual part itself, but I've noticed that every website I've been to, shows the "right side" sensor looking exactly as the ones I have now, but the left side sensor is always pictured having a longer cable, various mounting tabs, a rectangular connection on one side (as apposed to the circular connection that I have) and one end is always "black" in color just like the picture on the link you provided.. Strange.

Like I said, the photo's may be generic and not of the actual part, but it just seems strange the picture of the "left side" sensor is always different the picture of then "right side" sensor...

I'll report back on the outcome of this little set-back when I finally resolve the problem.

Thanks again to all those who've replied.

Last edited by LT1*C4; 06-20-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by LT1*C4
Like I said, the photo's may be generic and not of the actual part, but it just seems strange the picture of the "left side" sensor is always different the picture of then "right side" sensor...
My guess would be because the left side is no longer available that the pictures are of the after market replacement.

The whole shortage thing is probably my fault since I did replace just the left side sensor a few years ago with an OEM unit.

Probably was the last one in existence.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:18 PM
LT1*C4
Racer

Well isn't this wonderful. Found out today that these sensors are not only DISCONTINUED by GM (and have been for some time now) but that they've also been DISCONTINUED by the aftermarket as well, for reasons nobody seems to know.

Whatever stock you're lucky enough to find (if you even find any) is just the remainder of what's been sitting on the shelve's and once they're gone, they're gone forever. I went to the dealer today and buddy looked them up on the computer and apparently, they don't have a single sensor (left or right) ANYWHERE in North America...

Tried all places on-line but when I phone them up to check if they have anything in stock, they've all been telling me they don't have anything. Tried the place that was listed above, but was put on hold for nearly 30 minutes so I hung up. The odds of them having any are slim to none anyway.

RockAuto is the only place that had just one side, the RIGHT side, but not the LEFT and they won't even be able to confirm they even have the right side until tomorrow. It's a Raybestos brand...

---
---

I looked up the sensors on Napa website and low and behold, at the very least, it looked like they carried them. The part numbers were different so I assumed that Napa had it's own aftermarket supplier and maybe that's why I couldn't find these things listed anywhere else.

I copied down the part numbers and headed over to Napa to see what they cost and whether they had any in stock.

After reading the guy at the desk the two numbers, get this, they want $320 for the RIGHT side sensor and $268 for the LEFT side sensor.

That's well over $600 (canadian) with tax, for two small Mickey Mouse sensors. Screw that. I walked right out of the store and didn't even bother to ask if they had any in stock.

I'd sooner rip out my whole ABS system before I plunked down 600 clams for 2 sensors.

I just found a guy on eBay that has a used set off a '92 so I emailed him for some info. Depending on his response, I may end up buying them used off him.

One thing of interest I learned at the dealership today was that apparently, GM plans on no longer carrying ANY parts for vehicles model year 95 and older by the end of the year/early first quarter of next year, so if anyone out there needs parts from GM, get them NOW 'cause they'll no longer be carrying them for our cars by next summer at the latest...

Last edited by LT1*C4; 07-15-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:51 PM
henryr
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what happens if one of these sensors is bad ? no ABS ... ?
Old 02-20-2017, 05:55 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by henryr
what happens if one of these sensors is bad ? no ABS ... ?
I suspect you have a solid on ABS light but don't hold that as fact.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear wheel ABS wheel speed sensors?

Quick Reply: Rear wheel ABS wheel speed sensors?