C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Air Conditioning Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Crankpin
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Conditioning Problem

I just spent $1400 to have the compressor replaced. They said they had to also replace some switches in the system because of metal shavings in the line from the old fried compressor clogging the switches. After about 10 miles of driving, the new compressor now cycles on and off. They say there must be more metal shavings in the system clogging these switches and causing them to shut the system on and off when pressure in the system rises. Any truth to this? Help!

Last edited by Crankpin; 08-17-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-17-2011, 09:24 PM
npbassman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crankpin
I just spent $1400 to have the compressor replaced. They said they had to also replace some switches in the system because of metal shavings in the line from the old fried compressor clogging the switches. After about 10 miles of driving, the new compressor now cycles on and off. They say there must be more metal shavings in the system clogging these switches and causing them to shut the system on and off when pressure int the system rises. Any truth to this? Help!
When you had the work done did they replace everything else like the accumulator, condenser, orifice tube and completely flush all hoses and the evaporator? If so I'd say it's on them if there are still shavings in there. But, if it's just cycling on and off maybe there is just a small leak that they missed when they put the system back together. Again, that's on them. Hopefully others more versed in auto AC than I will chime in for you.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Crankpin
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They said they replaced all those things. It was there for over 3 weeks. I told them I'll see them in the fall when the driving season is over. I've lost too much of the summer already. Thanks for replying.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Robert Thomas
Army Hoist Operator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

How quickly does the compressor cycle? Cycling is normal operation. What year and which AC system?

Bob Thomas 40th coupe
Old 08-18-2011, 02:10 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Occasional AC cycling is normal but, Repeated AC cycling is not normal.

Have the shop recheck their work, it could be low on freon.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Conditioning Problem

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Problem