Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
The short answer is NO.

Here is the long answer (IMO)

People can compare the C4 to the trend with C3s all they want but the value of "collector" car values and the timeframe at which they start to go up is not linear.

There is a huge difference between the previous generations and the C4 and later cars. The previous cars are all "old" cars. I don't say "old" in terms of age, but rather in terms of design and technology.

[...]

The prior generations are classics in the sense that they are a throwback to the good-ole-days of cars. The C4 is not, and will not ever have that appeal. There is a lot more than being "rare" to make a car valuable and rarity is completely irrelevant if nobody wants them. Chevettes are "rare" yet I don't see them selling for $100,000.
I agree, and here's another example of what you're talking about; driving in to work today I saw what I would estimate as a 1978-79 Nova (definitely a later fourth generation).

There was nothing particularly interesting about it and I couldn't imagine anyone taking note of it let alone craning their neck to get a look at it. Just a 32 year old car-- no big deal.

However, I was in high school in 1979. A 32 year old car at that time would have been a 1947 model. I guarantee you that, in 1979, if you would have seen a 1947 model of anything going down the road it would have been notable, interesting, and people would want to stop and look at it.

So I agree the idea of an "old" car is not linear. It will take far more time for a c4 Corvette to take on the aura of age that a c1 or c2 had within about 20 years (or less).
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by navy_vette
Don't look for any value increase in these vehicles for a very long time... if ever.

I read in this month's Corvette magazine that the C4's have increased
Yeah right!

Why cant people be good with owning an affordable sports car and leave it at that?

Collectibles...youre going to pay some money to get into that game, not 5 or 10k or everyone would have one.

Car drives the same no matter what its worth who cares.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

Why cant people be good with owning an affordable sports car and leave it at that?

Collectibles...youre going to pay some money to get into that game, not 5 or 10k or everyone would have one.

Car drives the same no matter what its worth who cares.
Bingo! One reason I decided on a c4 was that I *didn't* want anything collectible, special, or in any way precious.

c4's are a ton of fun and very low-priced, and the latter is because they are not considered old or collectible.

Perfect for me!

I commute to work, drive to Wal-Mart, drive in the rain-- basically treat it like a regular car. Way more fun (to me) than looking at a garage queen that gets driven once a month lest it ruin its "value."
Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 PM
DRidgeway
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While not Classics yet ...there has to be at some point where a generation like myself lusted after the C4.
It was still the dream car for MANY over a twelve year period.
Maybe I look through the world through rose colored C4 glasses, but IMO there will be few more desirable cars of its era.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:11 PM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As mentioned, it's a supply and demand issue. It's easy to find a good C4. When you have to start hunting to find one in good shape, then the value will rise.

The C7 coming out won't change the supply, so things will be about the same. I'd expect to see a decrease in C6 prices as people will be unloading them to get in to a C7. The C4 has largely bottomed out anyway, sort of like the later gen C3's.

Everytime a C4 hits a scrap yard the value of our cars goes up a fraction. It may take 20 or 40 years, but a good clean C4 will rise in price. As an investment, your money is better spent elsewhere.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rogers
Bingo! One reason I decided on a c4 was that I *didn't* want anything collectible, special, or in any way precious.

c4's are a ton of fun and very low-priced, and the latter is because they are not considered old or collectible.

Perfect for me!

I commute to work, drive to Wal-Mart, drive in the rain-- basically treat it like a regular car. Way more fun (to me) than looking at a garage queen that gets driven once a month lest it ruin its "value."

Strange..... it's not collectible, special, or in any way precious to you and you treat it like a regular car. Yet you join a C4 forum to talk about this car? Do you belong to other forums for your other cars? Just wondering.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:36 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by DRidgeway
While not Classics yet ...there has to be at some point where a generation like myself lusted after the C4.
It was still the dream car for MANY over a twelve year period.
Maybe I look through the world through rose colored C4 glasses, but IMO there will be few more desirable cars of its era.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Jman69
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is good because I was planning on keeping this car for a while I was just seeing what kind of value it would have in the future
Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

drive it like you stole it
Old 10-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Jim Rogers
Racer

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Strange..... it's not collectible, special, or in any way precious to you and you treat it like a regular car. Yet you join a C4 forum to talk about this car? Do you belong to other forums for your other cars? Just wondering.
Well, yeah. Does something need to be precious to be interesting enough to discuss? I did say they were a ton of fun-- why wouldn't I want to discuss it?

Here was my point:

1963 Split Window Coupe: Rare, precious and thus has great value because it's collectible. Most would enjoy the value in these cars *not* by experiencing the fun of driving it, but rather through the financial rewards that come from preserving it (which precludes most driving). Nothing wrong with that, but it's not for me.

Garden variety C4: Not rare or precious so not really collectible, but has great value because of its great sound, looks, and performance (for the price). Since there's no urgency to preserve it, one can harvest that kind of value through the sensory rewards that come from driving it and experiencing the sounds, feels, and performance. And, of course, by teaching and learning on forums with a community of c4 owners.

The latter is what I prefer, therefore I was very glad that the c4 had not become a precious collectible by the time I bought one last summer, and was glad to join this forum to learn and discuss.

The fact that these cars are not likely to become precious collectibles anytime soon might sound like a negative to those reading this thread, but I thought that there was a substantial positive side to this as well, so I mentioned it. I don't see any contradiction.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 AM
ED77KATR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just listed my 1991 with a $250000 reserve,..... this should help increase the value. I may? lower the reserve to 8grand?? for right buyer.:***** :
Old 10-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

The low milage C4's will slowly increase in value. They become more desirable to purchasers who like the style and will pay a higher premium for the less used example.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:51 AM
hitmanpty
Drifting

Originally Posted by bb62
With 364,000+ C4s having been built, it will be a while before the supply goes down far enough such that demand out paces the remaining cars. Having said that, as a surrogate for the overall Corvette market, using data from eBay:

Cars For Sale:
C1 - 36
C2 - 82
C3 (Chrome bumper - 68-72) - 97
C3 (plastic front kamm back 73-77) - 62
C3 (bubble rear 78-82) - 75
C4 (early round taillight 84-90) - 81
C4 (Late C4 rectangular taillight 91-96) - 97
C5 - 228
C6 - 550

If you then compare the totals being sold and compare to the number of vehicles in each grouping produced:
C1 - 0.052% of vehicle produced
C2 - 0.069%
Early C3 - 0.073%
Mid C3 - 0.028%
Late C3 - 0.036%
Early C4 - 0.034%
Late C4 - 0.076%
C5 - 0.092%

If the numbers above are indicative of surviving examples, then it is clear that the 73-90 Corvettes have been used up at a much higher rate than the earlier Corvettes and the later ones are still being used. Many of the earliest Corvettes (C1/2) were probably brought back from the dead because the value is there to do so. Not so for the 73-90 cars. For C4s, the 84-90 Corvettes, having been used as affordable drivers, will be used up, and the remaining few will start to climb in value as the mid and late C3 are doing right now. But you can see that the relative percentage of C4s will have to decrease substantially still before that happens.
funny I was going to say that...........
Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
motor city dave
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
5speedC4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope the values stay low for many more years. That way I will always be able to enjoy the C4.
I sold mine a couple of years ago, so maybe I can still afford to buy another one someday.
If the price goes up very much, I will be out.
I still lust after the C4 every time I see a good one.
The following users liked this post:
Marty-Vancouver-WA (02-02-2019)
Old 10-21-2011, 11:43 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
The short answer is NO.

Here is the long answer (IMO)

People can compare the C4 to the trend with C3s all they want but the value of "collector" car values and the timeframe at which they start to go up is not linear.

There is a huge difference between the previous generations and the C4 and later cars. The previous cars are all "old" cars. I don't say "old" in terms of age, but rather in terms of design and technology. They have very minimal electronics, they are simple, basic, and old technology. The C4 is a "new" style car.... high tech, computer controlled, etc. The revolutionary design of the C4 is IMO what will in hindsight be it's downfall as a collector. You have to ask why someone would want to collect something. What does a particular generation bring to the plate? As much as we might like them, the C4 doesn't really bring much of anything compared to the others.

The C1-C2 speak for themselves as far as what they bring. They are the golden era. The C3s (mainly the early ones) touch on that as well. Like I mentioned before, they are "old" cars. They are something that reminds people of a simpler (and less computer based) time.

So... what does a C4 bring? It will always be flanked on 1 side by cars that are much more "classic" and on the other by cars that are much more performance and tech (as will the C5, and C6 IMO). People who want old cars will look at C1-C3... people who want performance and tech will look to the C5-C6+.

The prior generations are classics in the sense that they are a throwback to the good-ole-days of cars. The C4 is not, and will not ever have that appeal. There is a lot more than being "rare" to make a car valuable and rarity is completely irrelevant if nobody wants them. Chevettes are "rare" yet I don't see them selling for $100,000.

They might go up significantly in value eventually... but eventually is a LOOOOOOONG time away.

Perfectly said. C4 is for fun.

When we are down to a couple hundred then they will be valuable as cars that do not run, but look nice ...

Pieces that complete collections.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:11 PM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with a lot of what was said. The C4 is not a 'collector car' and won't be for many decades. There are just too many of them and they are way to complex for many do it yourselves. Slowly the electronics will corrode and fail and as fresh repaired computers dry up and parts get scarce, they will be parked, forgotten and rot away.

To a few who understand them, love them, have the special tools and knowledge, there will be some value increase. Here are some cars they are not. XKE Jag, Austin Healey, Porsche 356, Porsche 928. Here are some cars they are like. Porsche 911SC, 90's Dodges, GM Cars, Saabs, Volvo's etc.

I drive my cars and I have tried to fix them myself. I sold 3 911 Porsche's this year which I maintained myself and I can tell you parts are getting hard to find and are very expensive. I can see the C4 going the same way. They will become more valuable to take apart than to fix.

Warning. Don't fall in love with a car. The only way to save yourself is to sell it and let it screw somebody else.

Last edited by oldtee; 10-22-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Corvette value increase?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:35 AM
ED77KATR
Drifting

Actually we as a group could push the values up? At least a small bit considering todays economy. Heres why & How... Back in early 90s a large group of Shelby Cobra owners secretly got together and knowing a few big time auctions such as Barret Jackson,Etc were coming up, they falsely? if thats correct word listed their cars for extreemly large sums of money and outrageoursly high reserves. Funny thing happened .. Buyers noticed and within months the Cobras were selling up to 33% or more. Was the old smoke and screen trick ! Im not saying it would work here but ???
Old 10-22-2011, 02:10 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Wouldn't it be nice if we all saw our car values increase?

There's a better chance that nancy pelousy will quit politics

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 10-22-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:02 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ED77KATR
Actually we as a group could push the values up...
How many Shelby Cobras in the world? How many C4s?

The answer to this is why it would never work.

Quick Reply: C4 Corvette value increase?