C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Amber Tailight Lens

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 2rgeir
WOW, I was just at the Vette museum in B.G. today, and they had a yellow 1986 mule there with GB plates on it.. What you have got there has to be worth a few $s...
Dreading to take a Corvette home with me to Norway because I know I will have to re-arrange the whole light system... No red (in-light) turn/hazard signals, and I will need fog lights on the rear. (+ the front end will be destroyed with a license plate )
That Yellow LT5 mule car belongs to Keith Beschi. It's the only 86 mule car left. My car is one of two 88 King Of The Hill prototypes in existence. It was built in July 87, before the ZR-1 was coined. It doesn't say ZR-1 on it anywhere. It was crushed in Englend and sat in the salvage yard for four years. I rebuilt it last Winter.

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 11-09-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:13 AM
vittal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, I was just at the Vette museum in B.G. today, and they had a yellow 1986 mule there with GB plates on it.. What you have got there has to be worth a few $s...
Dreading to take a Corvette home with me to Norway because I know I will have to re-arrange the whole light system... No red (in-light) turn/hazard signals, and I will need fog lights on the rear. (+ the front end will be destroyed with a license plate )
I'll bet that at least you'll be able to get certified. I can't here no matter what I do.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:45 AM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The front plate isn't THAT bad, besides every vehicle has to have one. As far as the rear fog light, I just added a 21 watt red light under the rear bumper on the right side to pass the MOT (Ministry Of Transport) test besides the amber turn signals.

Now, you might notice that the amber rear lights (while I had the Vette in England) were on the outboard side of the car (by law). When I brought it back to the states I put the amber lights inboard and had the running/stop lights on the outside. Thought it looked better.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:34 AM
gogmgo
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CREWZIN
That's because it's the export tail lights on an export Grand Sport. GM did make corvettes for the export market and the license plate on the rear of most European models is a long plate. Too long to put the back-up lights on the ends so they were put on the bottom half of one of the tail lights.

The rear lower lights on the bottom half of the rear bumper are the required rear fog lights. They are 21 watt bulbs that you put on when it's foggy (and that's quite a bit of the time) so the rear of the car can be seen by rear approaching vehicle. The BMW has the rear fog light integrated into the rest of the light.
Something else that you might not have noticed about the tail lamps. They are flush to the body unlike the US ones that are more recessed. In Europe and around the world EUNECE regulations (that is the entire world ex Canada, US and Mexico) require other drivers to be able to see the turn signal and lights from 180°. Make sense - not sure why in the US we don't have that sensible regulation along with the aforementioned rear fog lights. Don't we have fog in the US? And don't we have serious accidents caused by fog in the US?
Old 12-05-2016, 03:36 PM
The Snowman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

At first I thought it was a bummer that I had to have the amber lenses here in Sweden but they grow on you. Name:  photo252.jpg
Views: 2341
Size:  983.2 KB

Last edited by The Snowman; 12-05-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:04 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by vittal
I need these here
But the ones I found were soooo expensive.

Anyone know where they've got them?
Thats orrible
Old 12-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by CREWZIN
Here's the export tail lights on a Grand Sport.

Thats orrible
Old 12-11-2016, 12:36 PM
JKHK
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You don't need amber turn signals if you use the right rules to register it.
Over 30 years and under "bevaringsverdig" red turn signals is legal.
It supposed to be legal with red turnsignals under §1.15 also.
It is wise to check with AMCAR, they know the rules for that.
www.amcar.no
The people in www.amcarforum.no is also quite knowledgeable about this.

I have read this atleast in Amcar Magazine, but sadly not wich issue but if I find out I will take picture and out it here.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Amber tail lights are not legal in the US. They are legal for turn signals.

Quick Reply: Amber Tailight Lens