C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

seat track refurbishing

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:12 PM
bldavis11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default seat track refurbishing

It's a long story, but I had to take out the driver's side seat. In doing so, I noticed that the seat track assembly itself had a decent amount of surface level rust.

The seats are the 6-way power sports seats from a '91 ZR-1, and there are no mechanical problems with them. Has anyone refurbished their seat track assemblies before? I have a number of other items/parts that will be making their way to the powder coat man, and thought that these might be a good thing to take as well.

Any suggestions?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:23 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Ben, the seat tracks are a little complex, I've tried to disassemble them and I remember it being a big PITA. I greased whatever I could externally, including removing the clamps on the cable housings, and the gears that are visible, but I didn't open up the sealed gearbox assembly. Seems like more trouble than it's worth, IMO. I don't think they go bad from lack of lube, it's just the plastic parts that eventually break from fatigue.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM
bldavis11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VetteMed
Ben, the seat tracks are a little complex, I've tried to disassemble them and I remember it being a big PITA. I greased whatever I could externally, including removing the clamps on the cable housings, and the gears that are visible, but I didn't open up the sealed gearbox assembly. Seems like more trouble than it's worth, IMO. I don't think they go bad from lack of lube, it's just the plastic parts that eventually break from fatigue.
Andrew, I figured there would be more traffic over here, but obviously not. Should have just stayed on the registry... Anyway. I don't really want to disassemble the gear boxes and such, but was, rather, looking at PCing the rails and major assembly. I guess with the plastic components in the gearbox itself, it would have to be taken off/apart... just thinking out loud.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 PM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've taken my 84's driver seat gearbox apart. The forward/backward function didn't work but I could see all the drive cables were rotating so I figured the trouble was in the gearbox. Damn plastic gears were stripped. Don't know where to get parts but if you do disassemble the gearbox, be prepared to grow a third arm to reassemble it.....PITA!!! I may have to find a used gearbox but my car's 28 years old-new used one will probably be brittle plastic ready-to-break..
Old 11-23-2011, 06:46 AM
bldavis11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
I've taken my 84's driver seat gearbox apart. The forward/backward function didn't work but I could see all the drive cables were rotating so I figured the trouble was in the gearbox. Damn plastic gears were stripped. Don't know where to get parts but if you do disassemble the gearbox, be prepared to grow a third arm to reassemble it.....PITA!!! I may have to find a used gearbox but my car's 28 years old-new used one will probably be brittle plastic ready-to-break..
I understand that a fellow from Canada occasionally sells replacement plastic gears and parts on ebay for folks who have lost function of their seats.

Thank goodness I don't have that problem yet. I'm more interested in refurbishing the actual seat rails/tracks, and was wondering if anyone had done that before.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I think that if you search, there was a thread about a company that will redo seat tracks.

Sounds like no rebuild needed if it is working. But I think if it was just surface rust, you can just hit it with sandpaper or better yet brass wool and then degrease and clean it and hit it with a primer that will convert rust then with a flat black paint. You should be able to find all this stuff at your local Home Repo.

Get notified of new replies

To seat track refurbishing

Quick Reply: seat track refurbishing