Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Sunviors replacement time? Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 329 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Step 3.

This parts sucks as there is no easy way to do it and its in tight quarters. You need to take two small flat bladed screw drivers and try to pry up each side of this spring retainer cap upwards. The pot metal threads may complain a bit but it will come up and can easliy be reused when you install the new visors.

I used either pliers or wedged a screwdriver next to the washer. By doing so, it held the washer still. Then, I rotated the visor(s) so the threads backed out of the washer/retainer.

Since there's no way to rotate the visor 360-deg, you have to rotate, release, and regrab the washer -- until disassembled.

I thought the hard part was screwing the new unit on. To press down and thread (on) the new bolt is a real trick. In fact, I started to cross-thread one side. Luckily a tap/die set repaired the damage.

The drilled hole idea is interesting.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 01-17-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts

Once you get the nut started its smooth sailing from that point on and strong compression to get to that point is indeed required lol. The hole drilling is a great idea to broach the tight quarters issue. Thanks for the comments

Last edited by Goldcylon; 01-17-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 PM
mickflstc1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default visor replacement

I am going to install new visors on my 92 conv. after removing old ones iI noticed a small black wire that runs down the drivers side inside winshield molding, this wire was cut. both visor lights work fine so I don't think it that, I have looked in every book I can find that shows wiring digs. anyone have a clue?? thanks Mike
Old 02-02-2012, 06:03 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the write-up and pics. I ordered my sunvisors today and I'll be installing them next week. You fine explanation will help. Will GM ever learn that cardboard is not a good base material for visors......or anything else for that matter.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:20 PM
mickflstc1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Visor replacment install solved

I believe I have solved the visor spring compresstion problem, I used a small valve spring compressor, with short socket to compress the spring and cover. then a 5/16 nut driver thru the socket to tighten the nut, it only took 5 minutes. I will attach pictures if I can figure out how to attach them. thanks Mike

I guess I'm not alllowed to put pic's????

I can send them via e-mail if anyone is interrested.

Last edited by mickflstc1; 02-04-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: follow up.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:31 AM
K87ZZ4
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldcylon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNVISOR-Cor...item4cf5fc5bfe

As you can see the remote is a part of the visor.
I got pretty excited about the idea of the visor with the Homelink buttons built-in, but when I checked out the eBay link, it lists 1990-96. Has anyone tried this with the early C4's? I have an 87.

Thanks, again, for the awesome how-to thread! What a BIG help!

Quick Reply: Sunviors replacement time? Pics