C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

2 new questions: Auto shift knob removal & frt light assy

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 PM
StuK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 new questions: Auto shift **** removal & frt light assy

I want to pull the shift boot to try and soften it up and will need to pull the **** of the auto shiter (1988 C4). I don't see any clip. Whats the trick?

Also, I need to do some light assembly repair (the fog/ rft turn) passenger side. The mounts broke and I need to do some JB Weld wonders. How to do I get in there to it? Pull the front bumper?

I am at work now but plan to start when I get home in a couple hours. Trying to get a head start on the best approach.

Thanks!

Getting this car fixed up pretty quick with holiday time off!
Old 12-29-2011, 02:05 PM
C4GUY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pop the button off the shifter with a small pick or screwdriver, look down in the whole with a light and you will see a snap ring that needs to be removed and it will come off then.

I needed snap ring pliers to do mine, cheapo harbor freight ones worked. I probably could have got the snap ring off with a pick or some other creative method but putting it back in without the correct tool would have been hard as it sits pretty far down in the ****.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:12 PM
StuK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks bud! I will hit that tomorrow then. Spent the afternoon on an amplifier install. Almost finished it! Appreciate the reply!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

If your snap ring is the original one GM used, your average snap ring tool may not be able to remove it because in their infinite wisdon, GM moron engineers had to use a non-standard snap ring that has smaller holes. If so, you can use a couple of small punch pins tools to get-r-out. No doubt you will invent new curses to the GM engineers while you are trying to remove it. I took great pleasure that I managed to mangle mine - and replaced them with standard snap rings that the tool can indeed remove next time.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 new questions: Auto shift knob removal & frt light assy

Quick Reply: 2 new questions: Auto shift knob removal & frt light assy