C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

cheap code scanner

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 03:26 PM
rosros
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts

Default cheap code scanner

Any of these scanners worth looking into?
http://www.tmart.com/OBD-Diagnostics...FRECQAodRhoOow
Old 01-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Sparkytfl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you have a 96, or need it for a different car, those obd2 scanners wont work.

http://winaldl.joby.se/aldlcable.htm
If you want CHEAP, find an old laptop and put one of these together with five bucks worth of radio shack parts. Only problem is when its running in aldl mode, the car advances the timing a little for some reason I dont understand, making my knock count logging wrong.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:32 PM
rosros
Racer

Originally Posted by Sparkytfl
Unless you have a 96, or need it for a different car, those obd2 scanners wont work.

http://winaldl.joby.se/aldlcable.htm
If you want CHEAP, find an old laptop and put one of these together with five bucks worth of radio shack parts. Only problem is when its running in aldl mode, the car advances the timing a little for some reason I dont understand, making my knock count logging wrong.
I happen to have a 1996. Easy way to clear codes than going thru the jumper wire. Never had a scanner before, always went to AZ for a reading, but they will not clear for me. Going to Goodyear charges $xx, cheaper in long run to get a scanner since these cars are fickle anyways. Deciding which one will best suit me.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:34 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I have an Actron 9175 that I got for 75 bucks when the economy went south brand new. I just saw one on ebay for 60 bucks used. But it comes with a book as well so make sure you get that if you go that route.

Features and Benefits Reads and erases codes on all 1996 and newer domestic and import vehicles including CAN Compatible with all 1996 and newer vehicles and also works on 1994 and 1995 OBD II compliant vehicles Battery powered for review of data off vehicle - no vehicle manual required as trouble codes and definitions are displayed on the screen Trilingual tool with Spanish, French and English menu items Quick and easily update your tool via internet The new OBD II AutoScanner offers a wider range of features and functions than other currently available code readers. Valuable feedback from experienced DIYers has resulted in the creation of this latest OBD II AutoScanner from Actron incorporating the functions that help fix vehicles faster. Other features include: on screen definitions, displays emission status, displays freeze frame data, updateable, DTCs retained in memory and DTC look up feature. Includes 6 cable, manual and diagnostic trouble code CD included with tool. AXRCP9175
Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

A Generic OBDII code reader should work on your 96. The problem is that a Generic Code Reader will only give you codes, ECM only, and only Generic OBDII ones. Even if you get one with live data (highly recommend) you will only get Generic OBDII data.

Basically, if you want good diagnostic capabilities you are going to pay for them. No free lunches.

See this:http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ic_tools4.html

I personally love my OTC Nemisys a $1200 tool I got for $400 on ebay.
Not only do I have FULL Domestic 82ish thru 07 coverage and Asian up to 06, but on my 93 I have ECM, Air Bag, CCM, ABS/ASR functions. All with codes, most with extensive data.

That being said, I've used this, http://www.tmart.com/Launch-OBD2-II-...l_p114430.html For the price it is nice, should have graphing capabilities.

Keep in mind, codes give a direction to go in, they are NOT solutions. I've had them lead me down the WRONG path, so CAUTION is needed. With data, it is only good if you know what you are looking at or for.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:36 PM
rosros
Racer

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
A Generic OBDII code reader should work on your 96. The problem is that a Generic Code Reader will only give you codes, ECM only, and only Generic OBDII ones. Even if you get one with live data (highly recommend) you will only get Generic OBDII data.

Basically, if you want good diagnostic capabilities you are going to pay for them. No free lunches.

See this:http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ic_tools4.html

I personally love my OTC Nemisys a $1200 tool I got for $400 on ebay.
Not only do I have FULL Domestic 82ish thru 07 coverage and Asian up to 06, but on my 93 I have ECM, Air Bag, CCM, ABS/ASR functions. All with codes, most with extensive data.

That being said, I've used this, http://www.tmart.com/Launch-OBD2-II-...l_p114430.html For the price it is nice, should have graphing capabilities.

Keep in mind, codes give a direction to go in, they are NOT solutions. I've had them lead me down the WRONG path, so CAUTION is needed. With data, it is only good if you know what you are looking at or for.
I was looking at the Launch Creader 6 that was just released...Overkill for what I need it for, but then again....

Last edited by rosros; 01-01-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

If you just want to check for error codes, you can do that by pressing a magic combination of buttons on your dash. A Google search will tell you how.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:46 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

As a side note here. I have diagnosed issues with my vette, my Dodge Ram, my Cad STS, my wife's camry and my son's MC SS with the reader I have. I got the code, I let the reader tell me what the code was, then I did a little research on the internet to finalize the process.

I have so far, knock on wood, been 100% each time.

I even had to tell a mech what was wrong with a Honda we had when they couldn't figure it out and after spending 200 bucks on a failed diagnoses and parts change.

The scanner I have is not the top of the line, but it's a great reader for the basic diyer

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 01-02-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:07 AM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you just want to check for error codes, you can do that by pressing a magic combination of buttons on your dash. A Google search will tell you how.
That's what I have done with several cars, including this one. What do those scanners tell you that the dash OBD display does not?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
As a side note here. I have diagnosed issues with my vette, my Dodge Ram, my Cad STS, my wife's camry and my son's MC SS with the reader I have. I got the code, I let the reader tell me what the code was, then I did a little research on the internet to finalize the process.

I have so far, knock on wood, been 100% each time.

I even had to tell a mech what was wrong with a Honda we had when they couldn't figure it out and after spending 200 bucks on a failed diagnoses and parts change.

The scanner I have is not the top of the line, but it's a great reader for the basic diyer
Looks like the Actron 9175 is no longer available at Amazon. I did find it on Ebay; however, according to Amazon, its been replaced by a new model: Actron CP9575:
http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9575-..._ob_title_auto
Old 01-02-2012, 03:17 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Wathen1955
Looks like the Actron 9175 is no longer available at Amazon. I did find it on Ebay; however, according to Amazon, its been replaced by a new model: Actron CP9575:
http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9575-..._ob_title_auto
yeah, that's one, the 9575, in the article above that they praised. I like my 9175

Get notified of new replies

To cheap code scanner

Quick Reply: cheap code scanner