Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What`s the real story on disconnecting the negative terminal all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:20 PM
eddog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What`s the real story on disconnecting the negative terminal all the time?

There ought to be a lot of opinions about this.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:45 PM
bangbgC6
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eddog
Wouldn't a battery cutoff switch be easier?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:22 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by eddog
As in when doing elec work on car?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

It's a good idea if you aren't driving your car for extended periods of time and you don't have a battery tender or power to the car. If that is what you are asking.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:01 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

If you disconnect the positive terminal and accidentally touch metal with your wrench then you will get a big spark at least and possibly worse. The battery can deliver enough current to weld a wrench to metal parts and it will then get REALLY HOT. I've heard of melted wedding bands and burned fingers.

If you disconnect the negative terminal, it's already connected to ground so there is no possibility of a short.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:14 AM
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Drifting

Location: Supreme Soviet Peace-Loving Pipple's Kollektive of Seattle Wa
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
If you disconnect the positive terminal and accidentally touch metal with your wrench then you will get a big spark at least and possibly worse. The battery can deliver enough current to weld a wrench to metal parts and it will then get REALLY HOT. I've heard of melted wedding bands and burned fingers.

If you disconnect the negative terminal, it's already connected to ground so there is no possibility of a short.
The chassis is no longer part of the circuit.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:16 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Are you asking if the negative cable is pulled first?
Or the neg is pulled when storing the car?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:14 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Are you asking if the negative cable is pulled first?
Or the neg is pulled when storing the car?
Aside from Cliff's excellent reference to safety, why the distinction?

P.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Be more specific with the question...but yes, when wrenching, it's a safety issue. As mentioned above, get your wedding band lodged between the positive terminal and the chassis and it can burn your finger completely off in a very short period of time. Gold is an excellent conductor.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:30 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

When working on or near any wiring it's an excellent idea you should always do (and which I am often a little too lazy to do).
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Klondike
Team Owner

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Electrons flow from neg to pos. I'm not exactally sure of what & why it happens in a computer chip, but it is safer for the chips when you lift the source of electron flow rather than the exit side (+). There is usually only one "ground" vs many possible positive paths through the computer boards and cables. If the batt. ground cable was still hooked up and the disconnected+ cable came in contact with ground, there would be a conection path for many charged capicitors in computer boards. Doesn't matter if the ground cable touches anything, it's already ground and it's away from the battery source.

Last edited by Klondike; 01-04-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,013 Likes on 2,531 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

No matter how many times we read this when starting out, I think every guy has - at SOME point - gotten a wrench or screwdriver across something that it shouldn't. Guarantee it will wake you up in a hurry and you'll be a whole lot more religious about preventing it from happening again.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 PM
3D87C4
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done some arc welding that way.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:09 PM
mako41
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
Electrons flow from neg to pos. I'm not exactally sure of what & why it happens in a computer chip, but it is safer for the chips when you lift the source of electron flow rather than the exit side (+). There is usually only one "ground" vs many possible positive paths through the computer boards and cables. If the batt. ground cable was still hooked up and the disconnected+ cable came in contact with ground, there would be a conection path for many charged capicitors in computer boards. Doesn't matter if the ground cable touches anything, it's already ground and it's away from the battery source.
Current flows to the negative not the other way around.
When you remove the negative battery cable on a vehicle with a negative ground system, you have removed the potential for current to flow. If you removed the positive battery terminal leaving the negative in tact you will still have the posibility of unwanted current flow, tools, jewerly ... anything that conducts electricity can short to the still connected ground.

To put it simply, all the electrical components on a vehicle are connected to the common chasis ground. They can be activated when the positive terminal on them is supplied with battery voltage. If you remove the negative ground no current can flow even if battery voltage is applied to the positive component terminal!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I always do that, i never ever let my 87 parked with the neg cable on , i use a killswitch **** but that's in me , always do this and my battery is still good like new after 4 years.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 PM
eddog
Advanced

Just quoting the mm beginning of every maint procedure,but wondering about frying computer box more than the common arc welding.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

While we are on the subject, it is also a real good idea to remove any watches or rings while you are working under the dash. I heard a story once where a guy shorted a hot wire with his watch and had a permanent scar around his wrist that looked just like a watch. This of course pertains to metal watch bands.

Get notified of new replies

To What`s the real story on disconnecting the negative terminal all the time?

Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Sparkytfl
Instructor

I did it doing something with a starter. "But it's only powered when you turn the key" sounds true, but in fact is wrong.

Originally Posted by Railroadman
No matter how many times we read this when starting out, I think every guy has - at SOME point - gotten a wrench or screwdriver across something that it shouldn't. Guarantee it will wake you up in a hurry and you'll be a whole lot more religious about preventing it from happening again.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by mako41
Current flows to the negative not the other way around.
NOT that it matters, but up until the the invention of the CRT (cathode ray tube - the display used in radars and TV picture tubes, etc) "conventional flow" (aka positive flowing to negative) was thought to be the case. Nobody could actually "see" current (i.e. electrons) flow, so the "convention" was current flowed from positive to negative. (To this day, when you look at a circuit schematic the "arrowheads" on diodes and depicted in transistors, etc, point in the direction of positive flowing (to negative potential).)

The CRT shoots a beam of current from the base, which is steered by parallel vertically and horizontally placed magnets to bend or steer the beam, to strike a fluorescent screen creating a visible spot of light. But, when applying a positive potential to the anode (at the base of the CRT) and negative potential on the screen, nothing happened until (what the hell?) someone swapped polarity, and walah!! It must have been quite a "shock" to the scientists standing around when they suddenly realized current flowed from negative to positive (giving way to "electron flow" i.e., negative to positive as opposed to "conventional flow" i.e., positive to negative). And, now I can imagine how the concept of current flowing opposite to what you thought...is causing you too to ponder the logic of what you have said.

My point? My point is the battery can be thought of as the "pump" in a closed circuit network - providing the force to move current around the components, and returning to the battery. So, regardless of whether you subscribe to "electron flow" (negative to positive) or "conventional flow" (positive to negative) if you remove either pos ro neg cable from the "pump", current stops...Well, almost.

Someone made the (excellent) point there are capacitors associated with various modules, e.g., the ECM, etc - think of them as the equivalent of mechanical springs. When voltage is applied, the capacitors are charged (the equiv of compressing springs). The battery (pump pressure) can be removed, but the capacitors remain charged - for a time - until current leakage around the capacitors depletes the charge until "the pump" is reapplied, a la connecting the cable(s) to the battery.

However, until the capacitors have a chance to bleed off the voltage, if the positive cable was disconnected and then came in contact with the frame, there IS a chance of the reverse flow from the capacitors to ground could do harm - especially in sensitive computer circuits.

For what it is worth, I was first taught "electron flow" in the US Navy, prior to fussing with missile and gun fire control radars and computers, etc. But, like you, I since converted to "conventional flow" theory because it made reading electronic schematic diagrams much easier: when they discovered the truth about "electron flow", they never changed the symbols (the "arrowheads") that indicated the flow direction of "conventional flow". The difference is when you look at a schematic, you can almost envision the current flowing and spreading out across the circuit, guided by all the "arrowheads". In "electron flow", current flows against the arrowheads - kinda like steering a car by looking in the rear view mirror. As long as I don't try to apply a positive bias to the anode of a CRT, it's all good.

Bottom line...

Disconnecting either cable will open the circuit - preventing current flow**.
Removing the negative cable is arguably safer because if the wrench comes in contact with the chassis in the process, there will be no danger.

Removing the positive cable** will open the circuit, but precautions need be used to avoid the tool used from shorting against the chassis, AND the open connection needs to be isolated from the chassis to avoid inadvertently discharging the capacitors (in the ECM, etc), at least until the "caps" potential has time to bleed off.

Your mileage may vary.

P.

PS: Correction: Changed the text to reflect it is the NEG cable that is easiest to get to on the C4. That, combined with the safety concern for removing the pos terminal makes removing the neg terminal - especially on a C4 - a no-brainer! (Memory is a terrible thing to loose!)

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 01-09-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,013 Likes on 2,531 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Paul, thanks for putting it in those terms, makes a bit more sense. I had read something to that effect but could not remember enough to post a rational statement. I believe I also heard that lightning - not sure if it's ALWAYS or SOMETIMES - actually jumps UP from earth, not DOWN from the clouds. It happens so fast the eye does not catch the difference and since we're raised with the idea that it comes down, the brain "sees" it that way. At least that's what the article claimed IIRC - I read it quite a while ago.

Quick Reply: What`s the real story on disconnecting the negative terminal all the time?