C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Audio system

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:25 PM
bfolden
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Audio system

I'm new to the forum and I've read some great information about replacing the audio in a C4 Corvette. I have a 1993 Corvette Convertable with Bose premium sound system in it and I want to completely start over with a new audio system. I've settled on the Alpine INA W910 for the receiver but that is about it. Can anyone help me with what else I need to complete the project? Will I need new speakers, amp, wiring, or other things. Anything else that I need to worry about? I have a great local shop that will do the install I just need to provide the components. Thanks, Brian
Old 01-18-2012, 01:56 AM
BLK Rose LT1
Intermediate

I am about to do the same thing.. You will have to re wire the entire car and custom build front speaker enclosures. In the back you can just drop in a set of 6 1/5's but in the front i would recommend maybe the same size with some nice tweeters up on the dash. And run a sub to tie it all together. You will need to get a radio install kit as well and cut the plastic in back of the stock radio for the new one to fit. Do a search on here , thats how i found out a lot on what to do my self..
Old 01-18-2012, 06:48 AM
npbassman
Racer

Default Front enclosures

I'm going through this now too. All that is left for me is the front speaker installation and I finished building the enclosures this past weekend. They're not hard to fab if you have basic woodworking skills and tools.

Keeping in mind that I'm no Norm Abrams, working slowly it took me about a weekend to mock up, fit and build each one. That included modifying the speaker grill. I referenced an older thread where a guy built basically the same thing about 4 years ago. It includes dimensions and everything. The only difference is he used 1/4" MDF and brackets on the sides and I used 1/2" MDF and glue and screw for my sides. Everything else on mine is 1/4". Do a search for "front speakers" and I think it'll come up quickly.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:43 PM
soldierboy609
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check this replacement out. You wont have to replace the speakers and the BOSE amps will still power the speakers, all that is needed is a wiring harness that cost 20 bucks from Amazon. Im in the process of swapping mine out now. Of course this all depends on what kind of shape your speakers are in now, mine are in great shape as are the ones in the post. He says his sounds great.

I will send the link to the harness when I get home tonite if your interested.

The info about the stereo is near the end of the post.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...installed.html

Last edited by soldierboy609; 01-18-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 PM
summerst
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

I have gone through this exercise twice in the last 6 months in my 1990 and my son's 1991 (both Coupes with Bose systems). I purchased the same radio for both cars (JVC-XR810). It is a double din and it fits perfectly into the dash. This radio has a USB port in the front and back and it is Iphone ready. It comes with a bluetooth adapter that I plugged into the rear USB port. The radio has a microphone and connects (via Bluetooth) to our Iphone 4 and Iphone 4s. I can play all the songs on my Iphone wirelessly and the sound is perfect only interrupted if I recieve a phone call that I can answer hands free. The radio can be purchased for $178.98 at Best Buy. I had the radios installed by Best Buy as they charge less when you buy the radio from them. Best Buy doesn't stock the installation kit (Metra Chevrolet Corvette 1990-1996 Turbo Pocket Kit - Metra 993051) or the Bose adapter harness (Metra 70-1857 Tuner Relocation and Bose Integration Harness for Select GM Vehicles), both of which are available at Amazon.com. You may want to pick up two PAC SNI1 Noise Isolators as aftermarket radios (this one at least) picks up some high pitched engine noise. Installation cost was about $125 for each vehicle. Make sure that your Bose amps in the speaker housings are in working order prior to the install. If you have a bad amp or two, you can find them on eBay used or send yours in for repair (also on eBay). Both radios work great. That Bose sound is terrific even with 20 year old speakers. BTW using the Metra wiring harness and my old speakers saved me $400 which was the cost to rewire all the speaker housings (speakers were extra). For you purists out there, this modification is reversable if you ever want to put the old radio back in (which Best Buy says it will do for free!).

Last edited by summerst; 01-30-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: url
Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 PM
bout-time
Instructor

I gutted the Bose System out of my 1992. The interesting part was bypassing the CDM Unit that is in the dash (under the grove box.)

Old 01-19-2012, 07:22 AM
3moe3
3rd Gear

i have an 87 coupe that did not have a bose system in it and im trying to put a complete bose system in what im in need of is the rear speaker harness any one know where to find one? thanks .this place is a welth of info.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 PM
RLG
Burning Brakes

I did this on my 90, I was able to use the factory enclosures at the door sill with 5 1/4 round triaxles and the standard 6 X 9 in the rear enclosures.

You will need the longer wiring harness to bypass the controller because your radio controller is behind the seat in the storage compartment.

I ran all new speaker wires.

I had to install the 05 ohm resisters to make sure the engine light didn't come on, I don't know if you need that on a 93.This is for the C68 optioned cars. There is a TSB on how to do this.

If your radio is the size that is shown above you will need the same mounting kit that about-time used.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:57 PM
stag15m4
Intermediate

I have not yet done the speakers, so mine are all stock Bose Crap.. But I got a new head unit for Christmas .

JVC AVX740 from Crutchfield. (Infinitely adjustable button color, so it will match your stock button lights)

This is an awesome stereo that has all of the wiring neatly tucked behind the stereo.. Including the iPod hook-up. I have that wire running hidden into the console. It has Bluetooth and comes with a mic. I drive a '92 convertible and the BT Phone works very well. The touchscreen is fast and accurate. It has an auto-dimmer setting. Best of all is that it is a Full Double DIN unit that fits PERFECTLY in your dash. The only cutting was a plastic bracket behind the radio that helped retain the stock unit.

This thing is great.. My neighbor put one in his '94 and it was just as easy.

Good Luck!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 PM
soldierboy609
Instructor

Originally Posted by stag15m4
I have not yet done the speakers, so mine are all stock Bose Crap.. But I got a new head unit for Christmas .

JVC AVX740 from Crutchfield. (Infinitely adjustable button color, so it will match your stock button lights)

This is an awesome stereo that has all of the wiring neatly tucked behind the stereo.. Including the iPod hook-up. I have that wire running hidden into the console. It has Bluetooth and comes with a mic. I drive a '92 convertible and the BT Phone works very well. The touchscreen is fast and accurate. It has an auto-dimmer setting. Best of all is that it is a Full Double DIN unit that fits PERFECTLY in your dash. The only cutting was a plastic bracket behind the radio that helped retain the stock unit.

Good Luck!
I did a little research between the JVC you used and the Pioneer AVH3300, the JVC wins hands down. I am glad I read this post before actually buying. BTW where did you get the Corvette background? Could you possibly E-mail me a copy of it
Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 PM
stag15m4
Intermediate

I found the Corvette Racing background on Google. I think I searched for Corvette Logo or Corvette Racing.. Something long those lines. I couldn't find a good C4 logo, so the C6 Racing one will have to do

Have at it courtesy of Google search...

Good luck with the new tune-pumper.. Post pics when you get it in there. (The Bose speakers sound good for now..)
Old 01-26-2012, 03:10 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The original owner of my 87 Coupe "Deep Sixed" the entire Bose system but put in a pretty sad $80 Kenwood system in its place. I dont know under what circumstances why he replaced it other than as you said the Bose system is crap.
I put in a better Kenwood system back in 05 when I bought the car because it matched up with the existing Kenwood 6 CD changer and I replaced the tired speakers with new Sony Xplodes all around...but never got around to juicing it up with an AMP.
But....I have never been happy with how the standard DIN Kenwood radio looks in my Vette. I almost wanted to buy a C4 Original Bose system to return her to stock but the price would be ridiculous so I am looking into putting in a pretty cool alternative.
After some research, help from the Forum here , Ebay and Internet I found a 1 1/2 DIN Pioneer DEH-P47DH Receiver which will fit in the opening perfectly returning her to a more stock look. The Kenwood 6 CD changer is probably not compatible with it but Im willing to sacrifice that for the better, cleaner looking Head unit. Ill juice her up with an Amp...I think that overall will make it all come together pretty nicely!!
So your in good company....So many C4 owners with Delco systems are going thru the same thing!! Good Luck.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:27 AM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3moe3
i have an 87 coupe that did not have a bose system in it and im trying to put a complete bose system in what im in need of is the rear speaker harness any one know where to find one? thanks .this place is a welth of info.
Most Forum members...myself included would advise you not to spend the $$ on installing a Bose System...its just not worth it. As much as Im a stickler on returning my 87 to as close to stock as possible.....I wouldnt spend the $$ for a Bose. Im trashing my aftermarket Kenwood and replacing it with a Pioneer DEH-P47DH Head unit which fills the whole space where the stock Bose unit would have been...plus its a good looking powerful unit with Mosfit. Thats my 2 cents
Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Tha shu
Advanced

Good Luck!
Did you have to make any changes to the bezel or anything to fit a double-din in your C4?

I've been trying to find a new head-unit, but worry about having to modify my trim. Also, do you happen to remember where you got your install kit for yours?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 AM
stag15m4
Intermediate

Sorry for the delayed answer...

The only modification I made was not to the bezel but to the radio retaining bracket behind the head unit. It is basically a piece of plastic that a rear peg on the original stock head unit seats into. It is not necessary on this new unit and actually gets in the way because the new unit is slightly deeper (And about 10 pounds lighter).

If you look at the unit on Crutchfield's website it tells you about the modification. I was able to buy the wiring harness to connect the new radio to the silver box under the dash and use my stock speakers/amps. If I want to sell the vehicle as a stock ride, it's EASY to swap back.

NO BEZEL MODS NECESSARY FOR THE JVC AVX-740!!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by bout-time

^This thing^ is a worthless, rattling piece of crap. (that molded plastic thing for holding a 4x6 so that it shoots directly into your pant cuff!)

I had that in my car when I bought the car, and about the only thing that you could hear from the front speakers was the rattling that eminated from that platic speaker holder. Terrrible. I ended up making my own front "Q-forms" our of fiber glass to hold TWO speakers on each side up front, aimed (get this) AT the passengers. This was a huge, HUGE improvement for the sound stage in a C4.

The rest of the system (2 amps, an invisible sub), you can read about here...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...-and-pics.html
Old 02-05-2012, 09:41 PM
soldierboy609
Instructor

I found the Corvette Racing background on Google. I think I searched for Corvette Logo or Corvette Racing.. Something long those lines. I couldn't find a good C4 logo, so the C6 Racing one will have to do

Have at it courtesy of Google search...

Good luck with the new tune-pumper.. Post pics when you get it in there. (The Bose speakers sound good for now..)
I found a pretty decent C4 image that you may like. I cant attach images on here for some reason but I can e-mail it to you if you like.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Audio system

Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 PM
07STSTTBASE
Instructor

Originally Posted by bout-time
I gutted the Bose System out of my 1992. The interesting part was bypassing the CDM Unit that is in the dash (under the grove box.)

did you just use the crutchfield harness?
Old 11-19-2013, 07:54 AM
bout-time
Instructor

Originally Posted by David Ongiri
did you just use the crutchfield harness?
I used this mounting kit:
http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-3051

I used this factory to after market harness adapter:
http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-1855

The wiring is a little tricky due to the BOSE system and CDM unit.

The harness was partial plug-and-play and also involved some custom wiring due to the BOSE setup that I removed. I removed the CDM unit from the car and I also removed all of the BOSE speaker wiring. I then installed all new 16ga speaker wiring from the new head unit to all 4 speaker locations. I had the 1992 FSM which shows the wiring schematics and it helped tremendously.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:15 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine has an Alpine CDA-117 with the burr Brown chip, fabbed up the front pods with fiberglass to accept 6.5 Infinitys, the rear has 2, 6 inch subs all driven by a 5 channel amp..recovered all the grills with speaker cloth and all new wiring...needless to say it sound way better than any Blose....92 vert..and yes they can sound good...

Quick Reply: C4 Audio system