Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

92 C4 6 speed all stock should I modify or preserve

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sigh... it's like talking to a log. 4 facts then I'm done, it's not worth wasting any more effort on.

FACT - If done properly a modified car can be every bit as reliable as a stocker, you just have to take your time, do it right, and be willing to pay for the parts that will get the job done.

FACT - Done improperly a modified car will be an unreliable basket case.

FACT - No matter what you do, somebody is always going to think you did the wrong thing.

FACT - If you do what makes you happy, that is all that matters.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:52 PM
mikeyc123456&maybe7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FACT - No matter what you do, somebody is always going to think you did the wrong thing.

Scrapping it would make the highest percentage of the people happy.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Alan777
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by j-vette
GM made the best car they could, at that time, while being constrained to the products projected price.
Exactly, while constrained to their budget. Just because GM used a specific part, doesn't mean it's the best. Thats what people fail to realize, when designing a car there are ALWAYS sacrifices the designers have to make.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:05 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan777
Do you really think GM made the best car they could from the factory?
Do they ever? NO. They have not since the Early 1900's. It's business based on repetitive sales and constant improvement, so they set the bars low and constantly raise them.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

some ppl may have the hands on and know how and bucks to make good mods, some missing some of those traits,I am one of them, every new vette owner will be tempted to explore "speed and power" outside of the addiction, which nothing can be done to cure;

if you don't have a lift or a engine machine shop you need to pay some that does, and there in lies the problem, the owner of that lift and heavy machinery, may have a different idea of how your car should be modded and it will cost you, LABOR FOR THIS KIND OF STUFF IS NOT CHEAP) from the standpoint of his ineptitude ( cause you shopped price) or his greed or both.

they break things cause the car is old, connectors are brittle and stuff just on the brink going south...

THINGS OUR GOING TO BREAK period! factor regular repairs and maintenance into the financial equation, which is going to cost thousands and thousands of dollars. on top of the stupid $1100.00 Corsa you WANT because the last 2k you spent on cat-backs droned.

it becomes and endless circle of blame, euphoria, disappointments, poverty, panic, hopelessness, disgust... so just drive the car and forget about modding it.

you want speed, torque and horsepower?, THEN pony (pun) up the money upfront and spend the 35k to 55k on a car from the factory that has those qualities, you save yourself time and aggravation,( unless of course you are one of those as mentioned above) and you will have a newer car and better resale value, so the money you throw an any c4 is sucked into a black hole and can never be recovered, whereas on a newer car you drive it for a few years,get sick of the car as some ppl do, and you can sell it and at least it will have some value, spend 35k-40k on a c4 and you'll have to have done it right for any buyer to give it a second look and to pay more that a non-modded c4 goes for.

so to drive for 3 years and lose 10k a year that would be the math and sell the now even older Vette for what 5k?, I think any other car/scenario would have better resale for the money spend, not investment, cause car purchases are like buying stock that's guaranteed to go down.

If you have decided to tattoo the C4 logo on your forehead then modded away...

now the chevy guys are going to kill me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAXUkqXwDGg

Last edited by slickfx3; 02-26-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:28 PM
carguy604
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cdalake1
I just purchased my 1st corvette, it's a 92 C4 with the 6 speed, FE1 supspension and 3.54 rear end gears. It's in near perfect original conditon has obviously been babied it's entire life. I've been out of sports cars for about 20 years and decided to go with a corvette instead of a Porsche. I'm thrilled with the car, but would like to improve the handling, brakes and power a little. My question is should I leave this car in it's very nicely preserved stock condition other than suspension bushing upgrades and new shocks or go ahead and make additonal upgrades? How will the upgrades affect it's value? Any thoughts would be helpful
How do such threads go so far off track? To get back to your initial questions... From one near-perfect '92 owner to another, I'd say do what you want. There are simply too many of these cars out there to have significant collector value for any appreciable length of time. If your mission is to have a near-perfect NCRS garage queen then, obviously, you're not going to do a damn thing to it (and there's nothing wrong with that, either). But, on the other hand, if every time you get in it you wish something was a bit different (better?) then have at it. It's your car and it should reflect your taste and your desires. That having been said, don't expect to increase the value of your Vette by modding it - it's not going to happen. Personally, as much as I love the originality of my car (that's a big reason why I bought it) I couldn't leave well enough alone. It started with the elimination of the mufflers and the addition of the repro A-Mold wheels and it's gone on to include the addition of '95 lower fenders, an RD Racing Crossbrace and an RD Racing Camber Bar as well as a few other minor mods. I've saved all my original parts so that it can be returned to stock and, right now, I don't give a damn what the purists say. I've got the Vette that I pretty much wanted and that I could afford. It puts a smile on my face every time that I get into it and I get plenty of positive comments from other people. I'll never win at a show and I'll never pass muster at an NCRS event, but who gives a damn?! I'm keeping it forever, driving it as long as I can, and having a blast while doing it! In my books, resale value will never replace the fun factor; mod away!
Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slickfx3

if you don't have a lift or a engine machine shop you need to pay some that does, and there in lies the problem, the owner of that lift and heavy machinery, may have a different idea of how your car should be modded and it will cost you, LABOR FOR THIS KIND OF STUFF IS NOT CHEAP) from the standpoint of his ineptitude ( cause you shopped price) or his greed or both.
I dont have access to a lift or a machine shop and have managed to get by. Basic hand tools, patience, and the ability to learn go a long way. IMHO the end results are great but getting in there, learning, and doing it yourself is the fun part. Anybody can pay somebody else to build them a race car but how many people can say they can do it themselves.

they break things cause the car is old, connectors are brittle and stuff just on the brink going south...

THINGS OUR GOING TO BREAK period! factor regular repairs and maintenance into the financial equation, which is going to cost thousands and thousands of dollars. on top of the stupid $1100.00 Corsa you WANT because the last 2k you spent on cat-backs droned.

it becomes and endless circle of blame, euphoria, disappointments, poverty, panic, hopelessness, disgust... so just drive the car and forget about modding it.
Things may break with age alone but that is going to happen if you modify it or not. If you end up in a blamestorming session who is really to blame but who didnt do the research first either on parts or the shop.....

you want speed, torque and horsepower?, THEN pony (pun) up the money upfront and spend the 35k to 55k on a car from the factory that has those qualities, you save yourself time and aggravation,( unless of course you are one of those as mentioned above) and you will have a newer car and better resale value, so the money you throw an any c4 is sucked into a black hole and can never be recovered, whereas on a newer car you drive it for a few years,get sick of the car as some ppl do, and you can sell it and at least it will have some value, spend 35k-40k on a c4 and you'll have to have done it right for any buyer to give it a second look and to pay more that a non-modded c4 goes for.

so to drive for 3 years and lose 10k a year that would be the math and sell the now even older Vette for what 5k?, I think any other car/scenario would have better resale for the money spend, not investment, cause car purchases are like buying stock that's guaranteed to go down.

If you have decided to tattoo the C4 logo on your forehead then modded away...

now the chevy guys are going to kill me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAXUkqXwDGg

You know in every measurable way a new pickup truck is superior to my father's 1946 chevrolet but that doesnt mean I would trade it. I would rather drive it any day because it is sonething that not everybody has and not everybody can get. As far as book value goes it is worthless but nobody on this forum has enough money to buy it from me.

The question of modding or not is all one of personality. Buying a car as an investment is always a bad idea, so you just have to ask yourself what you want an what you are willing to spend to get it. Somebody with no time and patience may be willing to spend big money for a fast car. Somebody else may have little money but does have time and patience. Both can end up with a fast and reliable car, but who made the right decision? The answer is that they both did. If we all had the same abilities and tastes the world would be very boring afterall.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 452 Posts

You know...its a tough call.

I really feel the 6spd cars are going to be worth something in the future.

They are like the 78 trans am bird on the hood cars.

They will represent a place we were in american car history.

Clamshell hood, 180 degree rotating headlights....and a clutch pedal.

Its a unique car...

So keep the stock parts and don't drill too many holes in it when you mod it to outrun the new corvettes
Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 PM
IAFF alumni
Tech Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DRidgeway
If you only do ONE mod, put exhaust on it. Imho the stock C4 exhaust is completely anemic sounding.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

don't worry. be happy. let nature take its course. enjoy your car as is for as long as you can...because....when things wear out (and they will), upgrade.

tires don't last forever and there's something newer out there that's probably light years ahead of the original meats. at some point you'll need to replace the clutch...there are many performance clutches to install that outperform the no longer available factory clutch and defunct dual mass flyheel...you might install a shorter throw shifter at the same time; at some point you'll need to replace the opti spark distributor...well guess what ? by the time you get to it, you're half way to a cam change..and now your talking some real performance gains.

my own first two mods ? skip shift eliminator (cheap) and performance exhaust (expensive). And that was just the beginning.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:38 PM
hookedonvettes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys- IMO, a cool exhaust and updated wheels are a good place to start with. Beyond that, there is lots to do to a 20 yr vintage vehicle-paint,interior,seat covers, you name, the stuff you look at can be updated and I think those are important to the enjoyment of the vehicle, and taking it to show & shines.
Then if you want to get in to a bunch of mechanical upgrades to try making it go faster, there will always be some guy with a faster car that will kick your ***.
For me, I have a 94 coupe, 6 spd. I did ZR1 wheels, then a magnaflow catback system.
I just love driving the car, and I don't care if the leather is cracking, and the paint is not what it was when it came off the line. It's a vette, man, just sit back and enjoy!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 PM
IAFF alumni
Tech Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hookedonvettes
Hey Guys- IMO, a cool exhaust and updated wheels are a good place to start with.
Actually... that is the direction I'm going.

On order now... a complete Stainless Works exhaust from coated long tubes to square tips.
Next up... a set of polished aluminum ZR1 staggers and Nitto NT05 tires to replace the 9 year old Dunlops and Sawblades that were on the car when I bought her.

Not looking for fast because like hookedonvettes says... there will always be someone out there faster.
So long as she looks good and sounds good, I'm happy.

Quick Reply: 92 C4 6 speed all stock should I modify or preserve