Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C6 compared to my c4

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Cavi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there done that, which is why I was allowed to get the current Vette after having sunk lots of money into the E30 BMW last year only to give up on it as soon as I found this Vette.....
Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
I can't argue about looks. That is 100% opinion of which you are obviously entitled. Personally, I think the notch back design of the C5Z is one of the best looking Vettes ever, which is why I picked one for myself. I personally don't like the looks of the C6 (especially the non-wide bodies) at all. ...again, just an opinion.

As far as the nose goes, the C4 is actually way longer than the C5. I learned this when I was learning how to put the car on my trailer.

I went from a daily driver Z51 C4 to my C5Z. At first I was honestly disappointed with how the Z06 felt. Then... I looked at the speedometer and realized that I was going twice as fast around the same corners with ease. IMO the C4 FEELS fast. The C5Z IS fast. You can add the C6 cars into that same category.
I was hoping I would find you here.

For the money I would take a C5Z anyday over a base C6. They are the best looking vette ever produced imo. You can pick up a C5Z for at least 10K less than a base C6.

But there are some people who will never make friends with the one who stole their prom queen date. There are some C5 owners who will never own a C6 for the same reasons.

If the OP goes to a C6, I wish him well, they are fine cars.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

As I stated a few times before I will always keep my C4. During the next few years of working I hope to buy a newer one. It might be a C4 or a C6. If I win the Powerball it might be a C7.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

If I was going to pick up another Corvette it would be a C4 for track/auto-x use and already configured for this, a C4 ZR1, or a C5 Z06.

The C5 Z06 is fast, capable, and I've seen them for less than 20K in decent shape. I would drive the poop out of it.
FYI, the C5 Z06 is the best looking of the C5's. The C6 is out of my league price wise. I'd love a C6 Z06 with Z07 package.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
If I was going to pick up another Corvette it would be a C4 for track/auto-x use and already configured for this, a C4 ZR1, or a C5 Z06.

The C5 Z06 is fast, capable, and I've seen them for less than 20K in decent shape. I would drive the poop out of it.
FYI, the C5 Z06 is the best looking of the C5's. The C6 is out of my league price wise. I'd love a C6 Z06 with Z07 package.
Never was a fan of the coupe myself. I would love a C6Z06 or ZR1 but that's not in my future.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

I will always keep my 92 but am always looking at the c5 Z06. Imho it is the best set up and best looking vett there is.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Having a bunch of differant cars over the years,
95 Polo Coupe, hotcam, heads and boltons
96 GS 397ci
03 Yellow coupe ported heads and cam
o2 Electron Blue Z06 cam and boltons
08 Black Coupe w/superchrger
10 White GS w/supercharger

I have to say my favorites are the 96GS and 10GS. Of them the one I miss the most is the 95. For once I'm not looking at other cars to replace one. (not the 96 that one will never go) I will be looking in a year or two for a 94-95 ZR1 to add to the stable because I really like the C4 looks, and that motor The 96 and 10 are totally differant cars and have their good and bad points but the 10 is a better highway cruiser the way the cars are built. But when the 96 was still a M6 I drove it all over.

Last edited by RichS; 03-07-2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

They are completely different Corvettes, you will need to have both. Each has its own distinct personality. They are both very good at what they do but they get there differently.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:17 PM
BacknBlack
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My father has a C6 LS3. Apples and oranges to a C4. The C6 has the interior of a Chevy Malibu and feels like a Malibu.

Still waiting for Chevy to give us the pure race version: No radio, no a/c, no power seats or heated seats, no nav or HUD, no power windows or any other junk that has been collected over the years. Put the money into the performance of the car and sell it as an option.

My next car will be a cobra kit car with a 427 small block, not a newer corvette.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BacknBlack
Still waiting for Chevy to give us the pure race version: No radio, no a/c, no power seats or heated seats, no nav or HUD, no power windows or any other junk that has been collected over the years. Put the money into the performance of the car and sell it as an option.
Probably not gonna happen. If they didn't sell it with all the fancy BS it would be affordable and if it's affordable some young kid might buy it and do something stupid, then the parents would sue GM for being so irresponsible, etc, etc.

So instead they sell a bloated fat car for bloated fat drivers.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:36 PM
BacknBlack
Pro

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
Probably not gonna happen. If they didn't sell it with all the fancy BS it would be affordable and if it's affordable some young kid might buy it and do something stupid, then the parents would sue GM for being so irresponsible, etc, etc.

Ouch

They could use that extra money to bump up the performance. Benz makes a 6.2 that generates 570ish hp. There's a good direction for GM.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:40 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 649 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
....She may tell you to buy a third Vette.
She is great. We have 3 now.

No C6 yet, but I expect I will try one within a few years. I expect a lot of difference from the C4, but I am not sure how much different than the C5's. (other than obvious appearance)

I have really liked the C4's for putting on a lot of highway miles. I think I like it on the highway better than my C5, but the C5 has a lot more trunk space that is easier to use. It looks like the C6 should be about the same as the C5 for trunk space and access.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:58 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

You really think liability of kids is the reason they don't build a stripped down car?

It's already half the price of the cars it competes with. Seems pretty affordable to me.

Do a little research and see what the profit margin is when Chevrolet sells a C6 compared to Porsche or any other competitors. How much do you think would be saved by GM if they took out the radio, HUD, A/C, and power seats?

The labor costs would be nearly identical and they would save at most a thousand dollars on the parts.

The end result is that they have a car that costs them almost the exact same amount to build and that people like you would expect them to sell for half the price.

Now that's a brilliant business plan.

...that also just so happens to beat the crap out of a C4 in every aspect of performance. Kinda funny you call a C6 bloated and fat given the fact that they weigh less than than a C4.

1996 coupe curb weight: 3298
2012 coupe curb weight: 3221
2012 Z06 curb weight: 3199
2002 Z06 curb weight: 3118

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 03-07-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:33 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

RedLS1Gto, where did you get those curb weights for the 12's? I just got a Road and Track issue they tested basically every 2012 Corvette model, weights vary from 3310-Z06 to 3440 GS Convertible. Which is comparable to my 93 from the factory at 3333. Although, my car is closer to 3250 as I removed the jack, spare tire, mufflers, etc...

FYI, the BASE C6 in this test on the skidpad, measured only .82g's for the coupe and .84 for the convertible. They have Goodyear Eagle F1 EMT tires, the base suspension and tires must stink on ice. A C4 can do better looking at old road test data.

Z06=1.07 ZR1=1.05 now where talking. GS=.99.

Just wondering where you found those weights. Quite frankly the Corvette has varied between 3100-3500 from 84-Current models. Lightweight being the C5 Z06 and heavyweight being C4 ZR-1's.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 244 Likes on 131 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

You really think liability of kids is the reason they don't build a stripped down car?

It's already half the price of the cars it competes with. Seems pretty affordable to me.

Do a little research and see what the profit margin is when Chevrolet sells a C6 compared to Porsche or any other competitors. How much do you think would be saved by GM if they took out the radio, HUD, A/C, and power seats?

The labor costs would be nearly identical and they would save at most a thousand dollars on the parts.

The end result is that they have a car that costs them almost the exact same amount to build and that people like you would expect them to sell for half the price.

Red's right, you really didn't think that through very well. You get more for your money with a Corvette than anything out there. Even the idiots on Top Gear (UK) agree with that.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 PM
BacknBlack
Pro

...that also just so happens to beat the crap out of a C4 in every aspect of performance. Kinda funny you call a C6 bloated and fat given the fact that they weigh less than than a C4.

1996 coupe curb weight: 3298
2012 coupe curb weight: 3221
2012 Z06 curb weight: 3199
2002 Z06 curb weight: 3118
New corvettes are far from affortable. A 2012 coupe with it's standard features run $55k. The convertable is $65k and the GS is $73k. Most newer corvettes sold are second and third cars for their owners. Way too much for the average person.

Those fluff items are pretty pricey. Look through Corvette America and see the sale price for just the cheap copies of those items.

It just seems GM does the bare minimum and charges too much for it. A 6.2 that only produces 432 hp? The new coyote 5.0 makes 412. Even Hyundai can make a 5.0 with 429 hp. My 350 with small 180cc heads and a middle of the road cam, that can pass emmisions, makes 450 flywheel.

Corvettes now are made for BMW owners and that's not what the car was intended for. It needs to be a purist's sports car again and not something that's expected to rub ones ***** and fix them pancakes.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

New corvettes are far from affortable. A 2012 coupe with it's standard features run $55k. The convertable is $65k and the GS is $73k. Most newer corvettes sold are second and third cars for their owners. Way too much for the average person.

Those fluff items are pretty pricey. Look through Corvette America and see the sale price for just the cheap copies of those items.

It just seems GM does the bare minimum and charges too much for it. A 6.2 that only produces 432 hp? The new coyote 5.0 makes 412. Even Hyundai can make a 5.0 with 429 hp. My 350 with small 180cc heads and a middle of the road cam, that can pass emmisions, makes 450 flywheel.

Corvettes now are made for BMW owners and that's not what the car was intended for. It needs to be a purist's sports car again and not something that's expected to rub ones ***** and fix them pancakes.
Seriously? Have you priced a comparable Uboat or Merk lately? The new 911 in a stripped down base version at 400 HP and NO options will run you $83K. Get one that can run with a Z06 and you're looking at $172K for the same HP with minimal options. Don't even look at comparable Merks. You have no conception of the cost of speed. The C6 in any verion is a steal. The reason they are not in the hands of the average American is the same reason most people don't own a Shelby Mustang, they can't afford it. Doesn't lessen the value.

Sounds like C6 envy to me.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 compared to my c4

Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 PM
BacknBlack
Pro

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking

Red's right, you really didn't think that through very well. You get more for your money with a Corvette than anything out there. Even the idiots on Top Gear (UK) agree with that.
10-15k of the price of the car, this includes labor and parts, is fluff. Take the fluff out and expand on the motor and drivetrain. Introduce a DOHC motor or a 'flappy paddle' gear box(a nod to top gear) so you can shift faster.

With that savings, GM should give the anemic 6.2 some more power. It should produce well over 500 stock. But that's right, that is reserved for the 427 505 hp from a 427? Just pathetic. I'm only 50 hp away with a 350.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:26 PM
BacknBlack
Pro

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking
Seriously? Have you priced a comparable Uboat or Merk lately? The new 911 in a stripped down base version at 400 HP and NO options will run you $83K. Get one that can run with a Z06 and you're looking at $172K for the same HP with minimal options. Don't even look at comparable Merks. You have no conception of the cost of speed. The C6 in any verion is a steal. The reason they are not in the hands of the average American is the same reason most people don't own a Shelby Mustang, they can't afford it. Doesn't lessen the value.

Sounds like C6 envy to me.

The corvette needs a 6.2 v8 to run with a horizonal 6. Wow, that's inovation. Way to scratch the bottom of the barrel GM.

My arguement has nothing to do with envy. My '93 can outrun a new LS3, and I did it by spending under 5k. It shows that with a little bit of effort on performance and not fluff, it could be a more surperior car for the money. I just want the option for a 'race version'. The way a corvette should be.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

The corvette needs a 6.2 v8 to run with a horizonal 6. Wow, that's inovation. Way to scratch the bottom of the barrel GM.

My arguement has nothing to do with envy. My '93 can outrun a new LS3, and I did it by spending under 5k. It shows that with a little bit of effort on performance and not fluff, it could be a more surperior car for the money. I just want the option for a 'race version'. The way a corvette should be.
Sorry, still sounds like C6 envy.

Quick Reply: C6 compared to my c4