C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette theory

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM
JFC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette theory

Hi, I bought my first Corvette last September. It's a stock '85 Coupe. I have some ideas about fixing it up to the way I would like it. My theory question is this; It seems that some car people are purists. That is to keep every thing stock and exactly like it came off the showroom floor. Others seem to go crazy and change any and everything to some cool aftermarket thing. So my car is Red and came that way from the factory. I actually like Black much better. After getting a couple of expensive quotes the car will remain Red for a long time. But where does a person draw the line about things like the original stereo that is nothing like a new aftermarket one. Or the mufflers that need to be replaced. I could go stock but could improve the performance with less restrictive ones. ≈ I would appreciate any thoughts on this, thanks, JFC
Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

It's not a collectible car. Do what you want as far as mods go, except of course, making it look like a ricer or a 4x4. Set a budget, personalize your car and have fun!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:14 PM
S.D.M.F
Pro

It depends on how long you want to keep it. Some people keep them for a few years and then sell it. If you're one of those people, keeping it stock would be better.

If you plan on keeping it for many years do what makes you happy. Its your car so you should be the one to get the most enjoyment from it.

Either way congratulations on the buy and welcome to the addiction of owning a Vette.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Every single modification I've done to my car has improved my enjoyment of the vehicle, but I don't intend to sell it, ever so the "value" is really a moot point.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

If your mufflers are original, there is only one working outlet, the other is fake. You can buy mufflers that look original but have both outlets that work.

The 85 responds well to modifications to the exhaust system if you want more HP. The 85 was stock with 230 HP. I have kept the interior close to stock. I did replace the wheels with ZO6 style wheels. I think the wheels add a lot to the looks. It all depends on what YOU LIKE.

I do believe that technology has bypassed the L98 engine and its components. You can upgrade the engine with cam, heads, intake and really wake the car up. You can end up with a car with much more HP that is fun to drive and will get better gas mileage than your stock L98. You will be able to use all the original wire, sensors....you will just have to have a new tune with a custom chip if you change the cam.

It is your car, enjoy it and drive it.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:39 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You have gotten lots of good advice about doing what you want to make it YOUR car. The one thing I would add is that I recommend trying to keep the wiring as stock as possible (except the stereo system). You will need to use a FSM because stuff happens. The FSM has very good electrical diagnostics that you will want to be able to follow -- it is complex enough without making it worse. You will need to change some wiring such as for a new stereo but if you can stay away from the ignition system, HVAC, charging, lights, etc. you will be a lot better off. Feel free to change muffler, paint, interior, wheels, engine improvements, etc. as you wish so you can enjoy driving it as it is highly unlikely that you will ever get your money back for any of this. Having said that, welcome and remember what they say at the Corvette Museum, "It's not a car. It's a Lifestyle." Enjoy your new lifestyle!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 AM
professorX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Minnestoa man St.cloud Area here, I to just traded up to a 85 vette last summer also as for the paint change I think the nice thing about the c-4 vette is the fact that you can change to a totally different color with out haveing to paint the engine bay so when you said the black color change would be to expensive they were blowing smoke up your skirt. As a body guy I can tell you chanking from red to black is nothing but anyway as for the rest it is your own so hake how you like enjoy the nice vette weather we are haveing and drive it like you stole it.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:21 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Regardless of what mods you decide to make, enjoy your new '85 Vette and save the wave...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Your car do it your way! If you change something it will be a problem from some buyers and a feature to others so that arguement is easily bypassed. I think what turns off some buyers on a modded car is they have no idea how good a job was done so every mod becomes a suspected problem.
My take on it anyway,
Dave
Old 03-20-2012, 07:17 AM
buktlst
Instructor

Congrats on your new ride. It is your car and I think you should do whatever you like to make it enjoyable to you.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

your car, do what you want. just remember, most likely you get 10 cents on the dollar return on performance mods. personally, i wouldn't go crazy on these. i would keep it clean, well maintained, some minor performance things like air in, air out, wheels, brakes, etc, and i'd drive the hell out of it. changing the color - no big deal, just don't make it weird!

Last edited by Joe C; 03-20-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 AM
jonboy194
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

truth is, it's your car, enjoy it and do whatever you want to..just don't paint a green dragon on the hood.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:10 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
It's not a collectible car. Do what you want as far as mods go, except of course, making it look like a ricer or a 4x4. Set a budget, personalize your car and have fun!

When I picked up my 85 seven years ago, it was basically stock. One of the previous owners swapped out the standard seats for a set of sport seats, changed the wheels to ARE ones and replaced the Bose stereo system with a JVC head unit and Kenwood speakers. Other than that, the car was stock. I kept it that way for about 5 years until I got the itch to make some modifications after doing the fuel injectors.

Everything I have done can be removed to return the car to stock easily. I am generally a purist, but I know the car needs way too much work and a huge budget to bring Bloomington Gold so I'm just going to have fun and enjoy it for the time I have it.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 AM
JFC
Advanced

Thanks for your advice. Jay
Old 03-21-2012, 03:59 AM
JFC
Advanced

Thanks for the advice, Jay

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette theory