Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need Advice - Track car as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 AM
bolowbc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Need Advice - Track car as daily driver?

Hi all,

I need help from experienced people how have built serious power. Can a "track" car be made into a daily driver?

I saw an early model C4 today (with no paperwork)
- claims 700hp 410ci that runs low 10's in 1/4mile
- turbo 400 transmission
- Vortech V-1 supercharger
- rollbar and crossbraced
- sat in storage and took a long time to get running... after putting in some new gas, it ran well but died twice on the road (restarted right away)

The seller (in his 50's) bought it from a friend who had a lot of money to throw at the car. It has sat in storage mostly, and says he's only driven 4-5 tanks worth of gas worth.

I don't like the 3 speed transmission in terms of fuel economy and highway driving. My commute is only 5 minutes though, which is why I am even considering this. It was loud and polluted a ton, however that can be fixed by swapping on stock mufflers and some cats.

The thing is, I don't want to buy what seems like a good deal in performance, only to have to pay serious cash just to get it reliable (compared to building up my '95 LT1). Any thoughts on this are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

Last edited by bolowbc; 03-28-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:56 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Why not keep your '95 as a DD and get the "track monster"...
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

^^ I agree.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:52 AM
bolowbc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I appreciate the input, and that would make logical sense.

I am asking this question because selling my '95 would be more budget friendly. Since I don't have the receipts on this used car, I'm not sure how reliable it is and or the condition, although the seller claims that it has very few miles on the engine.

Also, I'm not a track guy... I just want to drive this on the road
Old 03-28-2012, 01:48 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

If you want a street car, keep yours and make it faster. Taking a race car and turning it into a street car is more work. If it has a turbo 400 it is probably built for the 1/4 mile. You'd have to swap out the tranny and live with a rollcage if you put this thing on the street. Who knows how reliable it will be since you don't know it's history or what is in the motor. A race car motor isn't going to like stop and go driving and may have been built to last a few hundred 1/4 mile runs before a teardown. It doesn't make sense to buy this thing (pm me the phone number and I'll buy it). Just kidding, I don't have 2 trailers.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:19 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

*****, You buy the car, I buy the trailer, I drive the car?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:23 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Better idea Kimmer. You buy the car, the trailer and you can drive the thing. Just what you need, 2 race cars!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:07 PM
bolowbc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 383vett
If you want a street car, keep yours and make it faster. Taking a race car and turning it into a street car is more work. If it has a turbo 400 it is probably built for the 1/4 mile. You'd have to swap out the tranny and live with a rollcage if you put this thing on the street. Who knows how reliable it will be since you don't know it's history or what is in the motor. A race car motor isn't going to like stop and go driving and may have been built to last a few hundred 1/4 mile runs before a teardown. It doesn't make sense to buy this thing (pm me the phone number and I'll buy it). Just kidding, I don't have 2 trailers.
This sounds right... I was liking the rollcage due to a more rigid frame. Oh well, guess I'll go with the original plan, and either build up the LT1 or do an LS swap down the line.

This was just the advice I was looking for, thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice - Track car as daily driver?

Quick Reply: Need Advice - Track car as daily driver?