C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Paint Process

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 PM
craneman61!
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint Process

I am planning on painting my 96 later this year. It is a red LT1 CE. I woul like to get some info on the process. How would you prepare the surface before painting? How many coats of color and how many coats of clear? If you put metal flake on does that change the process or the number of coats? I know some of you have painted your own. How did it turn out? What combination gives the best finish and longevity? I know this is a lot to answer but I don't want to sound too dumb if I talk to a professional about doing the job. Thanks in advance for all info.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by craneman61!
It is a red LT1 CE.
So, it's been painted before?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:54 PM
craneman61!
Instructor

I got the car a year ago. i have been working on mechanical and the interior. It has been painted before. Not a good job as it is peeling in places now.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:28 AM
professorX
Instructor

well craneman I went to school for body work and worked in a paint shop for three years so to answer a few of your questions, most production shops are switching over to water base paint products in the next couple of years and the number of coats dependes on the color met. paint doesent change anything only if they are trying to blend the color but if you are planning on doing a complete paint job most shops will do a coat and a half of base and a coat and one good wet coat and a quick flash coat, the need for more coats of clear is a common myth and to many heavy coats of clear can look like crap because of orange peel. As for prepareing the car for paint that is where the previous owner sound like he or the shop did the maco paint route the best paint job is only as good as the prep time and the prep quality you put in the car and from the peeling statement you said the car should be sanded down to the original factory color because if it is peeling it is because someone did not sand or scuff the car properly and without seeing any good pics I realy can't tell you the exact reason for the peeling. If you have any other spasifc questions hit me up PS. I am doing a complete job on my 85 soon to going with lazer blue GM color.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Process

Quick Reply: Paint Process