C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

sun visor (sunvisor) repair ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 PM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default sun visor (sunvisor) repair ???

OK I did try a search but got very old posts with dead links??

I have a 94 floppy ears mirrored visors. I have a piece of thin plastic that might work perfect to stiffen the ear back up but how to get it in??

A couple of people mention "prying" the mirror off the visor and slipping it undernieth. I have tried to pry it out but don't want to risk breaking it since I can't see how it is attached?? Feels like the mirror was screwed onto the cardboard before the cloth was put on.

Anyone done this repair before? Any pics would be a great help!

Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Found this doing a quick search.
Probably the best write-up with photos your going to find.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...time-pics.html
Old 05-15-2012, 08:05 PM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the link, this guy shows how to replace the entire unit. I haven't had any trouble doing that part, just didn't want to buy a new visor. I do have to admit that the one he used looks interesting with the built in garage door opener!! Might have to look into that ?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:14 PM
C4DC
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Ive tried the mini blind trick where you slide it between the cardboard and it works for a while, then moves out of the way. I just cut the ends off and trimmed/glued the excess fabric and it looks great. It does leave a little gap where the sun can peek through, but it is easy to live with.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:26 PM
AaronDoud
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just removed mine completely. I'm tall so they just got in my way
Old 05-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I went SUPER CHEAP Hillbilly on mine.
Had some old windshield wipers that were going in the trash. On the edge of the wipers were two thin stainless rails that hold the rubber blades in the wiper arm. I pulled those off and cut one just a little shorter than the length of the visor. I cut the end at an angle so it was sharp and pointed on the end, and just stabbed it into the floppy end of the visor where the front and rear are stitched together on the edge. I just shoved it in till it was all the way through the cloth and it is just right to re-stiffen the end of the visor. It is even a flexible and springs back straight when you push the visor up tight against the roof and flex the edge down. You can't even see the hole where it went in, but you could put a drop of super glue on it if you think it might fray at the insertion hole. It will be nice and springy till the cloth rots off the visor and it's FREE. . Am I cheap or what!
The following users liked this post:
c5arlen (02-18-2017)
Old 05-16-2012, 12:38 AM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Klondike
I went SUPER CHEAP Hillbilly on mine.
Had some old windshield wipers that were going in the trash. On the edge of the wipers were two thin stainless rails that hold the rubber blades in the wiper arm. I pulled those off and cut one just a little shorter than the length of the visor. I cut the end at an angle so it was sharp and pointed on the end, and just stabbed it into the floppy end of the visor where the front and rear are stitched together on the edge. I just shoved it in till it was all the way through the cloth and it is just right to re-stiffen the end of the visor. It is even a flexible and springs back straight when you push the visor up tight against the roof and flex the edge down. You can't even see the hole where it went in, but you could put a drop of super glue on it if you think it might fray at the insertion hole. It will be nice and springy till the cloth rots off the visor and it's FREE. . Am I cheap or what!
Since I need new wipers and nobody answered my ad to buy a set, this is what I am going to do.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C4DC
Ive tried the mini blind trick where you slide it between the cardboard and it works for a while, then moves out of the way. I just cut the ends off and trimmed/glued the excess fabric and it looks great. It does leave a little gap where the sun can peek through, but it is easy to live with.
I trimmed the floppy ends off of mine also. The small amount of sun that can come around the edge is manageable. They do look a lot better and even as though they came that way.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 AM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

I went even cheaper...I ignore the flop

It makes a nice little side angle shade when the roof is off.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Use a hypodermic needle and apply thin CA glue to the cardboard. Be careful not to overdo it or the glue will spoil the visor material.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I just put a black medium paper binder clip on the crease between the floppy ear and rest of visor. Then I removed the silver arms from the clip and it is hard to see. It works just fine and no more floppy ear.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:02 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Why do I hear Banjo music ?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 PM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Why do I hear Banjo music ?
No idea...http://www.mobypicture.com/user/GregStaffa/view/6841909

Do you have a purdy mouth?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 PM
93VettePilot
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Ben
I trimmed the floppy ends off of mine also. The small amount of sun that can come around the edge is manageable. They do look a lot better and even as though they came that way.
X2. I cut the ears off too. I then had Korean lady stitch it up for me for $8.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 PM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dukeallen
Hillbilly visor or is it a Hillbilly hat?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:43 PM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
I just put a black medium paper binder clip on the crease between the floppy ear and rest of visor. Then I removed the silver arms from the clip and it is hard to see. It works just fine and no more floppy ear.

Just did this to hold me over
Old 05-29-2012, 12:01 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I had a '78 that had a floppy sun visor. My car had a red interior and when I bought a new one it was black and the instructions said to dye it to match. I didn't think that would look good so I took the visors apart and swapped the material from the old one to the new one.

What I saw when I took the old one apart was that there was a rod that the visor pivots on. There was a U-shaped piece of thin sheet metal that was stapled to a piece of cardboard that gave the visor its shape. In my case the U-shaped piece was rusted to the rod and the cardboard was broken because the U-shaped piece couldn't move on the rod.

Get notified of new replies

To sun visor (sunvisor) repair ???

Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by dukeallen
If you look closely you'll see that he has the sun visor turned to block the light but it isn't long enough so he added the paper plate.

I have the same problem because I'm tall and the seat is all the way back. The sun visor isn't long enough to block the light from the side. The side of my face gets pretty hot on those summer afternoon drives...
Old 03-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Steve Goetsch
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A little off the subject but my mirrors don't light up, is their a fuse for the mirrors? The rest of the interior lights work. Thanks
Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

i did the thin plastic thing to repair my 96, basically, just took an empty 1 gallon milk jug, and cut a piece to fit over the floppy ear section. i pulled the fabric from under the mirror, and slightly bent the plastic and slid it under the fabric. secured it all with a little adhesive. looked OK up until the time i sold the car.

Quick Reply: sun visor (sunvisor) repair ???