C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

HELP!!!! Flooded engine!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:19 PM
laduke29
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! Flooded engine!!!!

So yesterday I finally purchased my first vette, a red '85 that i learned to drive in from my dad. So I'm getting off of work today, when a massive thunderstorm came from nowhere and hit tampa very hard. I was able to get back to my apartment, and though i was home free, when i turned a blind corner in my complex and wound up in fairly deep water and my engine shut off. I'm worried she is flooded. Is there any first response fixes i can do to save her? Any help or imput is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm assuming you mean flooded as in soaked your engine? If so, since you have a L98 and have a distributor, check to see if that's wet and all your spark plug wires are dry. If you think you have flooded the motor via (gasoline), push your gas pedal to the floor and while keeping it there try to start the engine. Good luck
Old 07-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 560 Likes on 439 Posts

I assume you mean that the water went up pretty high.
I'd just ck to make sure the air filter is dry. Other wise give it a day to dry out. Should be fine
Old 07-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Klondike
Team Owner

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Sounds like you just hosed it good with plenty of water. When the rain lets up and water drains off enough around the car, you could run a long extension cord out to the car (don't want to get you electrocuted) with a hair dryer and let it blow (no heat, just air) on one side plug wires and then the other for about an hour to help dry it out. You can pop off the distributor cap and wipe it out with papar towels and give the distributor a warm blow for a couple of minutes too. Unless you have one of those low air intake air scoops you probably didn't get any water inside the engine and it should be OK when the wires dry out. On an '85, you might have enough room to pull and wipe dry some plug wires. Be careful and don't tear the wires out of the plug boots. If you take them off, give them a little twist to break them free of the plugs and they'll come off easier.
Kind-a funny that they named these cars after a boat, but you're sunk if get them very wet!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
Kind-a funny that they named these cars after a boat, but you're sunk if get them very wet!
Good one
Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I assume you mean that the water went up pretty high.
I'd just ck to make sure the air filter is dry. Other wise give it a day to dry out. Should be fine
Is the air filter wet or dry?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 560 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffin
Is the air filter wet or dry?
I'd better be dry
Old 07-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I'd better be dry
I'm wondering if he got water inside the cabin.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 AM
laduke29
Cruising

havnt had a chance to check the air filter. that same thunderstorm knocked out my power last night, and thus my internet as well, so this is the first time i've been able to check back. I'm worried that i pulled water in through the intake and hydrolocked the motor. The water level was awefully close to that air intake. Gonna let her dry off all day today (don't really have much of a choice in the matter, I'm working a double today and kinda stuck.) Just hoping it'll dry out and fire up. Guessing that if the air filter is wet, then that's a good indication i pulled water into the block? I'm really worried that i've done some serious damage. As for the cabin, it's quite dry, i was able to push it to a dry place so he interior is fine.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,554 Likes on 1,050 Posts

If the filter is wet, pull the plugs and crank the motor over. Put them back in and fire it up. You should be fine. Just don't try starting it up until you pull the plugs if you thing the motor ate water.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:39 PM
laduke29
Cruising

Originally Posted by 383vett
If the filter is wet, pull the plugs and crank the motor over. Put them back in and fire it up. You should be fine. Just don't try starting it up until you pull the plugs if you thing the motor ate water.
ya that's what i'll do. Unfortunately i won't be able to do anything til later tonight. damn job. guess I'll be back on tomorrow to let y'all know how it went
Old 07-11-2012, 01:26 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

You also need to ck all your fluids ,oil,trans, diff ETC..before you drive it or run it.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you pull the plugs and crank it, and water comes out..... change your oil IMMEDIATELY before you try to fire it up.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
flipr78
Instructor

Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

That was some crazy weather. For once I was glad my vette was already at the shop! Good luck tonight!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
You also need to ck all your fluids ,oil,trans, diff ETC..before you drive it or run it.

Water settles to the bottom of oil. So, I pull the crankcase drain plug for a second or so and then inspect the catch pan for water (works for coolant too, but that's another topic). No water = good to go.

P.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:04 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts

Did you turn the car off or did it suck water and shut down. If you shut it down you'll probably be alright..........just follow the others advice. If it sucked water and died then you probably just bought an engine.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!!! Flooded engine!!!!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 PM
laduke29
Cruising

Originally Posted by Keystring
If you pull the plugs and crank it, and water comes out..... change your oil IMMEDIATELY before you try to fire it up.
that's exactly what i did, and sure enough, about a shot glass worth of water per cylinder poured out. couldnt believe how much water she swallowed. But I'm pretty sure that when the engine shut down, i didnt damage anything. unfortunately, my current living arrangements do not allow me a garage, so i can't continue for tonight. gonna have to change the oil tomorrow, and get the new spark plugs and see if she'll fire back up
Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 PM
laduke29
Cruising

Originally Posted by shakedown067
That was some crazy weather. For once I was glad my vette was already at the shop! Good luck tonight!
Tell me about it! I couldn't believe how much water that storm dropped her in Tampa. It was only raining for a couple of minutes where i was but it was enough to flood my parking lot. Can't believe I broke my vette on its first day in Tampa
Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 PM
laduke29
Cruising

Originally Posted by TA
Did you turn the car off or did it suck water and shut down. If you shut it down you'll probably be alright..........just follow the others advice. If it sucked water and died then you probably just bought an engine.
unfortunately, it shut itself down. Where i was, you couldnt see very far, but it had been raining for such a short period of time, i couldnt imagine the parking log being so flooded. I kind of turned a blind corner and went from no puddles at all, to my car shutting itself down. She swallowed quite a lot of water. I don't believe i damaged anything though and i'm following their advice, just pulled the plugs and drained off the block. we'll see if an oil change tomorrow and some new plugs will bring her back. Other than that, all i can do is pray, I'm just a broke college student, sure can't afford a new block right now

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! Flooded engine!!!!