Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What do you dislike about the C4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 03:14 PM
nathanours
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you dislike about the C4?

I absolutely love my new (to me) '96 coup. I love the way it feels and handles, and the large power increase over my daily driver.

There are a couple things I would change if given the chance. First is that the fuel level isn't visible when the car is off. I like being able to look in the window of my other car to see if I am going to need to fill it up today. Secondly, I really wish the targa top had some sort of quick release to make it quicker to put on and take off.

What bugs you guys about the C4? I don't mean little stuff that breaks, I'm more referring to factory features that you wish were different.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:48 PM
TTA579
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nathanours
I absolutely love my new (to me) '96 coup. I love the way it feels and handles, and the large power increase over my daily driver.

There are a couple things I would change if given the chance. First is that the fuel level isn't visible when the car is off. I like being able to look in the window of my other car to see if I am going to need to fill it up today. Secondly, I really wish the targa top had some sort of quick release to make it quicker to put on and take off.

What bugs you guys about the C4? I don't mean little stuff that breaks, I'm more referring to factory features that you wish were different.
Early C4 tail light replacement yoga.

Everything else I can think of is crap that breaks, and after 20 years I suppose it's performed admirably.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:50 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I just got through working on this....in the LT1 the location of the Optispark. They could have put that thing somewhere else. Back of the engine, or at least not under the water pump.

The giant transmission tunnel hump is awful for passengers, tolerable for the driver.

I wish I could get about 2-3" more rearward seat travel, but I'm tall...

And I agree with you about the targa top, pain in the butt to take off and put back on these cars.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:04 PM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I love my car, but a couple of minor things I dislike are the seat can't recline much. Also, the rear-view mirror is right in your face. They could have put it closer to the windshield.
Oh, yeah! They should have made the jacking points extend past the side-skirts some. When I jack the car up, my jack pushes against the body panel. And the cup holders are too close to the shifter, (auto).
Old 09-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish the CHMSL had stayed in a pod instead of being integrated into the rear fascia.

Steering wheel in my '96 feels nice, but the '90-'93 wheel has a better spoke layout...they should have kept that one.

The gas cap area should have had a vinyl flap or something that folds out to cover the rear deck and catch drips.

A more aggressive stock rear-axle ratio for the LT-4 would have been nice; 3.45 is kind of weak and makes driving in the 35-40 mph range somewhat awkward.

And yes, the cup-holders are way too close to the shifter, no matter what your transmission is.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

VATS, but that's a GM thing and not a C4 thing.

Cheap plastics on the interior annoy me. Beyond that, nothing.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Cygnus
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanours
What bugs you guys about the C4?
The top ranks among my least favorite features. Having come from a C3 with t tops, I am quite used to having the wind in my hair almost daily. Taking the targa out is a royal pain and the odd storing position isn't making me more of a fan.

The cup holders are all but worthless. I bought the bigger holder so I can buy a bottle of soda, and that isn't really any better.

The entire center console is a bit weird and the lack of passenger foot room causes some "talk" on long drives.

Overall I am convinced that the few things that bug me are far outweighed by the advantages.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:47 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

no aftermarket LT blocks
Old 09-24-2012, 05:02 PM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish it had more room for fat guys like me, and I wish gas was cheaper and I had more cruising time.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

The other thing is that the C4 is now the "entry level" Vette. That said, it's attracting some less than optimum specimens of humanity, such as hippies, who can now afford to drive them. Sorta tarnishes the legacy of the car. Problem is, we will run out of hippies before we run out of C4's, so it will always be that way.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:10 PM
JeffnSharyn
Advanced

Only a few things I "dislike" about my 95 C4.

1. I wish the chassis wouldn't shake with the Targa Top off without having to resort to some band-aid type fixes.
2. I wish the heater core was more easily accessible.
3. I wish GM hadn't staggered the wheels on the late C4. I'll be looking for a couple 9.5 sawblades when I decide to get some new tires so I'll be able to rotate them.
4. I wish GM had used a slightly higher grade of plastics on the interior.
5. I wish the LT1 Automatics came with a minimum of a 3.07 rear as standard equipment instead of the 2.59 airplane gears.

Last edited by JeffnSharyn; 09-25-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:15 PM
VA50th
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

door sills...?
Old 09-24-2012, 05:23 PM
95YellowLT1
Melting Slicks

-Remove door sills
-Make the Targa come off in a few seconds instead of a few mins
-Delete all the damn rattles
-Traction and stability control from THIS century please.

Would be a half decent car afterwards
Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 PM
ScottMA64
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

With all the info available on the dash, I wish they added a/t temp read outs.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

The only thing about the 90 Z I didn't like was the sport seat. I can deal with the high sill - we all figure out how to enter and exit a C4, sooner or later. But, combine the sill height with those rediculous bolsters...forgetaboutit! Oh, and did I mention the seats are so narrow that the bolsters press on the outside of my thighs - making my legs hurt like hell in a couple hours, and cannot sit after 4 hours driving.

However, a pair of nice standard 95 seats made all the difference. I love 'em and have no long term cruising discomfort at all now.

Things about the C4 that I especially LIKE? Just about everything else. I wouldn't trade the ZR-1 for either the Z06 or the ZR1. (Just another big inch pushrod/pushrod with a blower...yawn)

P.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 09-26-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:49 PM
T-Factor
Racer

The door sills and hard to remove targa on my 95. But I love the car.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:53 PM
ckwhite
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
The other thing is that the C4 is now the "entry level" Vette. That said, it's attracting some less than optimum specimens of humanity
That's me. A real slimeball. "Formal dress" for me is greasy jeans, but a relatively clean t-shirt. What DON'T I like about the C4....well...
1. Climbing inside my '89 is like trying to get into the Mercury space capsule. And it almost takes a can-opener to get me out
2. Rearview mirror is mounted to close to my face, but still has a crummy peripheral view.
3. Cheap-looking plastic dash and console
4. Targa too difficult to get on and off.
5. The bed behind the driver's/passenger's seats is too hard.
(Wot? That's not a bed.......?)

Get notified of new replies

To What do you dislike about the C4?

Old 09-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Durissus
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...besides cup holders, the convertible top, when up, has poor visibility. I also have the removable hard top, and taking it off and putting it on is a real pain in the patoot! Lining up the bolt holes, the side braces, etc, etc. It's also heavy! I had a '67 convertible with a removable hard top, and I could do it myself. On my '94 I need help getting it on and off. Haven't had any opti trouble...yet... Probably curse that too when and if it happens! But I'm NOT getting rid of the car!
Old 09-24-2012, 06:08 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
VATS, but that's a GM thing and not a C4 thing.

Cheap plastics on the interior annoy me. Beyond that, nothing.
Although the interior is cheap plastic, I do like the design.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Leftoverture
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What don't I like? Well...that I don't have two of them, I suppose.

Quick Reply: What do you dislike about the C4?