C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Koni or QA1? Single adjustable shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Koni or QA1? Single adjustable shocks

Need some opinions - I'm done with the flouncy bouncy soft ride especially in the front of my 96. The problem probably is these were brand new OEM Bilsteins when I got the car a few years ago, but the PO also had it lowered, and had a Sport front spring from VBP put in the front. It handles nice and flat but man it's bouncy, I hit the bump stops very easy in some situations (those little yellow parking lot speed bumps), and the front end lifts off on hard acceleration. I want firm and planted, no bump stops!

So I'm getting adjustable shocks for the front end, and later for the rears. Can't justify the price of double adjustibles, the singles I've found run at about 170 bucks each, but I have a choice of QA1 or Koni. I know QA1 stuff is highly regarded on the Forum, but also Koni have been doing this for years.

So which should I get?

konis
QA1s

Cheers
Old 02-07-2013, 04:59 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

If you install the Koni singles in the rear the only way to adjust them would be to either drill a hole in the frame or take them off.

I ran the single adjustable QA1's before, they're a good shock. the adjusters on the ones I had did BOTH compression & rebound.

Get the ones with threads on them in case you want to go to coilovers later.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Bobby Joe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
If you install the Koni singles in the rear the only way to adjust them would be to either drill a hole in the frame or take them off.
This is exactly why I went with QA1 back when I was making the same choice! I ended up getting the 18 point adjustable shocks in the front and rear. $500 new, from QA1 was the best deal I could find 1 year ago. To adjust them, I just reach around each wheel and turn the ****, counting the clicks. Daily driving, I use 4 or 5. If I wanna ride a bit sporty, I take it between 10-12. Much harder than that...I dunno where a road perfect enough to handle that exist. Either way though, I can pull over at a gas station just before the twisty roads and twist a ****, but I sure can't take the Koni's off on the side of the road.

Have fun with your choice!!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:28 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Eakster
Need some opinions - I'm done with the flouncy bouncy soft ride especially in the front of my 96. The problem probably is these were brand new OEM Bilsteins when I got the car a few years ago, but the PO also had it lowered, and had a Sport front spring from VBP put in the front. It handles nice and flat but man it's bouncy, I hit the bump stops very easy in some situations (those little yellow parking lot speed bumps), and the front end lifts off on hard acceleration. I want firm and planted, no bump stops!

So I'm getting adjustable shocks for the front end, and later for the rears. Can't justify the price of double adjustibles, the singles I've found run at about 170 bucks each, but I have a choice of QA1 or Koni. I know QA1 stuff is highly regarded on the Forum, but also Koni have been doing this for years.

So which should I get?

konis
QA1s

Cheers
I would recommend QA1 they have a valve on the outside to adjust them, the Koni coil overs i have need the springs removed and shock absorber depressed fully to engage the dial.

The QA1 coilovers have a smaller diameter spring so fit easier.

http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...&SubGroup=1972
Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

QA-1! I have double adjustable on the vette as I didn't want compression to go up with rebound in the rear. I have single adjustable QA-1s on my bagged truck and absolutely LOVE them. The QA-1s are quite easy to change settings...you may get a little dirty, but it's easy.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

I faced the same dilemma when I replaced my shocks.
I went with KONI.

They are very agricultural in looks, but solid units. I found that once I discovered that one perfect (for me) setting, I never had to adjust them again. Remember, once you have that "perfect" setting, any changes cause them to be "imperfect". That's why easily adjustable shocks just get most of us in trouble.

The QA1's are superb looking units, though, and if you can purchase them for the same price as the KONI's, it would be hard not to go that way.
Bottom line: either way, you can't go wrong.

Larry
Old 02-09-2013, 11:03 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the comments. Think I'll go with the nice silver shiny ones I will be adjusting them as I'll be commuting but still taking it up the mountain for fun. Trackday is in this car's future too!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I bought the Koni's, but have no experience with the QA1's.

If I were buying again, I'd probably get the QA1's. I feel that the compression damping on the Koni is not enough, and the rebound is all that is adjustable.

Get notified of new replies

To Koni or QA1? Single adjustable shocks

Quick Reply: Koni or QA1? Single adjustable shocks