Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by aboatguy
But in 45 years 97 will be the new 85.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:55 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

You're missing my point. I'm not talking about when they were new. This is 1992-93 we are talking about. In 1994 I bought a near-pristine "survivor" 1960 Cadillac COUPE" for $3500. Try that today. The convertibles were hot stuff then. Coupes? Meh.

The Forum seems to hang on to posts a long time. In a decade we'll check back. It's my experience that most car guys just do not predict the market very well. I, as a dumbass, have made some big mistakes. Every one of them was on a car I should have bought and didn't, not the other way around. I have always been good at predicting the market on these. When no one gave a crap about '59 Impalas, I told my dad they would skyrocket. Go price a nice coupe. Turned down a $1300 driver quality car, street able and being actively used, in '86. Worth 20 times that now.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DinoBob
You're missing my point. I'm not talking about when they were new. This is 1992-93 we are talking about. In 1994 I bought a near-pristine "survivor" 1960 Cadillac COUPE" for $3500. Try that today. The convertibles were hot stuff then. Coupes? Meh.

The Forum seems to hang on to posts a long time. In a decade we'll check back. It's my experience that most car guys just do not predict the market very well. I, as a dumbass, have made some big mistakes. Every one of them was on a car I should have bought and didn't, not the other way around. I have always been good at predicting the market on these. When no one gave a crap about '59 Impalas, I told my dad they would skyrocket. Go price a nice coupe. Turned down a $1300 driver quality car, street able and being actively used, in '86. Worth 20 times that now.
Bob, I was just being a smartazz and having fun. Don't pay me any attention at all. I hate to see a perfectly good car scrapped as much as the rest around here.

Last edited by Vette Daddy; 02-16-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:26 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Cheers back at ya. No foul. I am just very surprised sometimes at the low opinion people have of the C4s future collectibility. I think people now define collectible as these megadollar cars crossing the auction blocks in highdef via the Speed Channel.

The 67 mile C4 very that sold for 40k on EBay is a bad example. If I bought that in 2001 for $12000 I would probably be pretty happy. And I would never be dumb enough to lay those storage rates.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:34 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

I'm already collecting them
Old 02-16-2013, 01:00 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Ironically, the knuckle head that pulled the drivetrain out of a low mile CE is probably the one with the mullet.
Okay, here is what most likely happened. About three or four years AGO, when LT4 drivelines were still sought after, somebody most likely bought this car, he's had it that long.... At the time people were still using them on restromods or kit cars, I've sold 30-40 or so C4 suspensions to those people. The market has moved on to LS based platforms. The people who were building those cars, predominately tri 5's, (55-57 Chevys) would pay people like Paul Newman (no, not THAT one) over $10k just to adapt their frames to accomidate the C4 suspensions. At the time LT4 drivelines (LT4, zf 6sd, and Dana 44 rears) from unwreaked, non salvage cars were very hard to find, and after paying $10k+ to have the frame modified, another $10k or so for a perfect driveline was not out of line for these guys. I know several people who have bought low mileage C5's, perfect, un-wreaked (under 20k) and cut them up to build the C1 restro mods you've seen at Barrett (they were going for over $120k finished). At any rate, those guys who do this don't use the C4 platform or parts anymore, and the along with the value of the C4's crashing, the demand for their parts has greatly deminished . People are giving him (Sean) whole running C4's just to get rid of them, and in many cases paying him to haul them off. Sorry if that upsets your sense of values, but that is the way things are out west, and have been for awhile. Enjoy the C4 for what it is, but quit getting upset that the rest of the world sees things differently. They are going to have to scrap 300,000 or so C4's before anything but a documented museum quality C4 is going to bring any real money, so consider this a start.
The guy who did this is most likely a multi-degreed professional who is one of those 2%ers you hear Obama raving about......has his hair styled weekly, and gets regular manicures...and hires mullet wearing types to do his landscaping.

Last edited by zr1fred; 02-16-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:49 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Okay, here is what most likely happened. About three or four years AGO, when LT4 drivelines were still sought after, somebody most likely bought this car, he's had it that long.... At the time people were still using them on restromods or kit cars, I've sold 30-40 or so C4 suspensions to those people. The market has moved on to LS based platforms. The people who were building those cars, predominately tri 5's, (55-57 Chevys) would pay people like Paul Newman (no, not THAT one) over $10k just to adapt their frames to accomidate the C4 suspensions. At the time LT4 drivelines (LT4, zf 6sd, and Dana 44 rears) from unwreaked, non salvage cars were very hard to find, and after paying $10k+ to have the frame modified, another $10k or so for a perfect driveline was not out of line for these guys. I know several people who have bought low mileage C5's, perfect, un-wreaked (under 20k) and cut them up to build the C1 restro mods you've seen at Barrett (they were going for over $120k finished). At any rate, those guys who do this don't use the C4 platform or parts anymore, and the along with the value of the C4's crashing, the demand for their parts has greatly deminished . People are giving him (Sean) whole running C4's just to get rid of them, and in many cases paying him to haul them off. Sorry if that upsets your sense of values, but that is the way things are out west, and have been for awhile. Enjoy the C4 for what it is, but quit getting upset that the rest of the world sees things differently. They are going to have to scrap 300,000 or so C4's before anything but a documented museum quality C4 is going to bring any real money, so consider this a start.
The guy who did this is most likely a multi-degreed professional who is one of those 2%ers you hear Obama raving about......has his hair styled weekly, and gets regular manicures...and hires mullet wearing types to do his landscaping.
Calm down Fred, it was just a little joke.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:46 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

C4 drivetrain would go great in a beautiful car like this 65 Malibu SS

IDK what is in that 65. I just saw it out and about today. It reminded me of my 1964 convertable Malibu SS that I cut up as a kid IOT fit a spare 454. Man I liked driving Suzie around the back of that 64.

MIke
Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

[QUOTE=zr1fred;1583138188]ed).and the along with the value of the C4's crashing, the demand for their parts has greatly deminished . People are giving him (Sean) whole running C4's just to get rid of them, and in many cases paying him to haul them off.

I really have to wonder how bad things are where you live. No place is that bad. Frankly, this whole statement sounds really far fetched if you ask me. Maybe on the verge of just plain No one, but no one gives away a whole running Corvette just to get rid of it because it's a C4 or pays someone to haul it off unless they're an idiot. (or one of the few C4 haters on this forum) In your part of the world if someone wants to give away Corvettes, or even pay out to have them hauled away, have them put up a note here and I'll send a truck or many trucks to rid them of their problems. Maybe they'll even give me gas money to come and get them all!

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 02-16-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

[QUOTE=FOURSPEEDVETTE;1583141247]
ed).and the along with the value of the C4's crashing, the demand for their parts has greatly deminished . People are giving him (Sean) whole running C4's just to get rid of them, and in many cases paying him to haul them off.

I really have to wonder how bad things are where you live. No place is that bad. Frankly, this whole statement sounds really far fetched if you ask me. Maybe on the verge of just plain No one, but no one gives away a whole running Corvette just to get rid of it because it's a C4 or pays someone to haul it off unless they're an idiot. (or one of the few C4 haters on this forum) In your part of the world if someone wants to give away Corvettes, or even pay out to have them hauled away, have them put up a note here and I'll send a truck or many trucks to rid them of their problems. Maybe they'll even give me gas money to come and get them all!
It must be nice in your world, but before you start yelling about things, maybe you should call Sean up. He's probably the biggest parter of C4's on the west coast. Hell, call some of the east coast yards. Here's you chance to be a millionaire, just buy up all the C4's and part them out, you're obviously smarter than them.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by anciano
Suzie got a stiff neck or something?
good one...haven't heard that phrase in years!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:53 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

[QUOTE=zr1fred;1583141959]
Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE

It must be nice in your world, but before you start yelling about things, maybe you should call Sean up. He's probably the biggest parter of C4's on the west coast. Hell, call some of the east coast yards. Here's you chance to be a millionaire, just buy up all the C4's and part them out, you're obviously smarter than them.
I can definitely see you point Fred. The C4 is a car that is in that vacuum in terms of parts availability. There are still alot of them out there in all kinds of condition. It is a Corvette, and still desireable, but...GM has all but stopped making or selling parts for them. The aftermarket is making too much money on pre/post C4 to really get into the C4 market. Yes, there is aftermarket support, if you're looking for weatherstrip, carpet or seats. But who makes an OEM spec dual mass flywheel? Or, for example, I would like some bolts and bolt studs for my composite valve covers, so far I'm SOL.

Not too many people doing full on restorations of the C4 like a C1 or C2, or the C3, just no money in it. Even the C4 has an ever increasing number of folks going to LSx swaps with C5/C6 brakes and suspension parts. So, really, if you need parts for a C4, and don't want to build a resto-mod, your only real option is guys like this. Yeah, part for part, that 15K mile CE is worth more in pieces than it is as a whole. As sad as that is, but the C4 went for long, and there were so many made, that collectibilty is not it's strong suit right now. People either want the latest and greatest, or the old school classic, and face it, the C4 is neither of those. Which is unfortunate, because I believe the C4 has earned a spot in Corvette history.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:28 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

I guess no one will cry for the car. I understand that.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 AM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by aboatguy
Since I'm not a fat ***, there's a fifty percent chance you are.

MIke
Twice in the same thread you called me a fat ***.
Or is that half fat ***.

Last edited by mikeb; 02-17-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Ron, How about going over there and 8itch slapping that tool?!?

I should he wont sell me parts cheap.
Wanted $150 for a TPI base wtf

Wait til YOURS shoots craps bigtime. That's worth crying about!
You mean like redoing the trans 3rd time I drove it or pulling a fresh motor out after the 5th? Know that $$ feeling well.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:55 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

[QUOTE=zr1fred;1583141959]
Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE

Smart enough to know BS, that's for sure. Having a scrap yard for Corvettes is fine. Making money on the parts is fine also. Lots of scrap yards like that. When you own a Corvette scrap yard, it's your job to aquire them. As far as the people giving them away and paying to haul them off because they're C4's? Really now. As far as being a millionaire? I'm doing just fine, Thank You. As far as being smarter than them? Maybe so.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:28 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

[QUOTE=FOURSPEEDVETTE;1583148791][QUOTE=zr1fred;1583141959]

No, they don't get rid of them because they are C4s. Maybe you can teach me how corvette scrap yards work (I've only done it for 30 years)!

Last edited by zr1fred; 02-17-2013 at 07:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To this will make you sick

Old 02-17-2013, 09:42 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

[QUOTE=zr1fred;1583149097][QUOTE=FOURSPEEDVETTE;1583148791]

No, they don't get rid of them because they are C4s. Maybe you can teach me how corvette scrap yards work (I've only done it for 30 years)!

30 years! Wow! That's a long time! Don't worry, sooner or later you'll catch on.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Still learning, the problem is the forgetting
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Still learning, the problem is the forgetting

Quick Reply: this will make you sick