The PKE key fob...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Default The PKE key fob...

OK guys/gals, is the 1996 PKE key fob not the greatest key arrangement ever devised? I love the way the fob automatically unlocks the door by proximity and uses the key to actually stick in the slot. I lose that sorry little 'no key hole' mercedes fob every other week. I can't think of a better arrangement than that 1996 PKE.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I have a 1995 with the PKE system. It works OK, just different. I have mine programmed to lock/unlock both doors. It also sounds the horn one short blast as I walk away from the car and the theft system arms and locks the doors. As you approach the system unlocks and disarms the theft system approximately five to ten feet from the vehicle.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I have a 1995 with the PKE system. It works OK, just different. I have mine programmed to lock/unlock both doors. It also sounds the horn one short blast as I walk away from the car and the theft system arms and locks the doors. As you approach the system unlocks and disarms the theft system approximately five to ten feet from the vehicle.
That's it. It is an absolutely lovely system. I have never found one that I like better or even as well. If it is raining or your hands are full or whatever, the door unlocks automatically as you approach and locks when you walk away while the key is in your pocket. Great system.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Wezel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have experience with both the 96 and C6 systems. The C4 is pretty "clunky" compared to the C6.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 PM
CHK888
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my '96 C4, the dealership did not have the key fob. Where can I get this PKE key fob you are talking about?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:49 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by CHK888
When I bought my '96 C4, the dealership did not have the key fob. Where can I get this PKE key fob you are talking about?
On ebay, but first:
there are two types, coupe and vert, get the right one, but before that:
go through the fob programming procedure (in your owners manual) and walk through each step until it says to bring the fob in range. Make sure everything happens as it says it should up to that point, otherwise you will buy an expensive (about $130 new) fob that won't work because of in car problems.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by markKlein
On ebay, but first:
there are two types, coupe and vert, get the right one, but before that:
go through the fob programming procedure (in your owners manual) and walk through each step until it says to bring the fob in range. Make sure everything happens as it says it should up to that point, otherwise you will buy an expensive (about $130 new) fob that won't work because of in car problems.
It is easy to turn on and off. I turn it off when in the garage or it locks and unlocks, it will drive you crazy = I don't need help.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 PM
GRIS
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Default 96 fob

The original '96 fob opened the door or hatch, right? I have a '96 but the fob is modern, maybe c5/6, and is pretty squirrely but it works, locks, unlocks, toots the horn. Does not open hatch. Could be the car or maybe just the mismatch. Wish i could find a 96 fob.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:34 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GRIS
The original '96 fob opened the door or hatch, right? I have a '96 but the fob is modern, maybe c5/6, and is pretty squirrely but it works, locks, unlocks, toots the horn. Does not open hatch. Could be the car or maybe just the mismatch. Wish I could find a 96 fob.
It's not a C5 or C6 fob. Sounds like you have an aftermarket system installed. Not sure what you mean by squirrely, maybe post a picture. 96 fobs are easy to find, look on ebay, but if you have an aftermarket system a real C4 fob will not work.

One more thought, it's possible you have a C4 fob for a vert (you didn't give us a lot of info), there was a one button fob for the verts, a two button fob for the coupes. How many buttons does your current fob have?

Last edited by markKlein; 05-01-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:54 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

the PKE system does work well. however the keys can not be anywhere inside of the car or it will constantly lock and unlock the doors.. and i leave the keys inside of both of my Corvettes in the garage so i have the system disarmed and just use the key to unlock the doors.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
the PKE system does work well. however the keys can not be anywhere inside of the car or it will constantly lock and unlock the doors.. and i leave the keys inside of both of my Corvettes in the garage so i have the system disarmed and just use the key to unlock the doors.
If the system is working correctly, it should not continually lock and unlock the car if you leave the keys inside (unless you keep bumping it or something). It could lock the doors once and leave you locked out though.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:13 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

maybe the battery was getting low. i just don't want to take a chance of draining the battery or locking myself out, lol. i have a spare set of keys that are original and unused. the worn locks really don't like those keys though, lol.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:41 PM
AaronDoud
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 96 with this and have an 05 with the C6 version. I like the C4 version better myself.

There is something about having a true key vs. keyless that doesn't always work like it should.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:01 AM
GRIS
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by markklein
it's not a c5 or c6 fob. Sounds like you have an aftermarket system installed. Not sure what you mean by squirrely, maybe post a picture. 96 fobs are easy to find, look on ebay, but if you have an aftermarket system a real c4 fob will not work.

One more thought, it's possible you have a c4 fob for a vert (you didn't give us a lot of info), there was a one button fob for the verts, a two button fob for the coupes. How many buttons does your current fob have?
hey mark: I bet you're right about it being a 'vert fob; it just has one button. Button is some kind of rubbery material.

Pke sys is all stock, far as i know. SQUIRRELLY MEANS IT DOES NOT WORK CONSISTENTLY AND SOMETIMES DOES UNEXPECTED THINGS LIKE UN INTENTIONAL LOCKING AND UNLOCKING FROM INSIDE THE CAR. GONNA TRY A NEW BATTERY, SEE IF IT HELPS.

Last edited by GRIS; 05-02-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: ADD
Old 05-02-2013, 03:54 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GRIS
hey mark: I bet you're right about it being a 'vert fob; it just has one button. Button is some kind of rubbery material.

Pke sys is all stock, far as i know. SQUIRRELLY MEANS IT DOES NOT WORK CONSISTENTLY AND SOMETIMES DOES UNEXPECTED THINGS LIKE UN INTENTIONAL LOCKING AND UNLOCKING FROM INSIDE THE CAR. GONNA TRY A NEW BATTERY, SEE IF IT HELPS.
It does sound like a stock system and vert fob. Good news is it sounds like your system is working OK, so if you want you could order a coupe fob and keep or sell your current fob. Programming instructions are in your owners manual. I never leave the fob in the car, it is possible for it to lock the car while it is sitting inside. Also check the section in the manual about turning the system "off", very handy, especially for situations like gassing up, washng the car, etc.

Last edited by markKlein; 05-02-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The PKE key fob...

Quick Reply: The PKE key fob...