Bye Bye C4 Here Comes C5

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 84wuzmy1st
I wouldn't say it's better, just different.
UH OH....! Don't let RedLS1GTO see that you said that! He'll rip you a new one...then tell you that you're a "Waste of bandwidth". That seems to be his way of "contributing" to the C4 forums.

I agree with most of the posts above. Both 'Vettes, both sweet cars...both have different character, and both have their strengths and weaknesses.

BTW OP; both cars have similar (in philosophy) "full frames". A "full frame" wasn't a new concept for the C5.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Firewalker11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hated the C5. I didn't like that you lose the cockpit feel and it kinda feels like any number of sport cars from that time. If that is your thing, rock it! Have fun with it and enjoy your car. I am in love with my C4 and no matter what era turns you on, everyone should drive a Corvette!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:37 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cudamax
Just drove a 1997 and Im Hooked. Its such a better car Beats the C4 Hands down I Took a test drive in a high milage 97 6spd and its a great car. Dont want to spend another dime on my C4. It seem like a waste now
Full Frame Trans out back makes it handle soo much better with a real soft spring rate Such a great car Everything is better in a C5
Soooo, you joined in Mar 2013, and now want to tell us how much better a C5 is? No sh*t Sherlock, it's also more expensive. FWIW, the 85 is not the best example of a C4, and a 97 is certainly not the best example of a C5.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:56 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Op all the best to you. In my opinion the c5 is a way better car except for styling which is subjective.

I probably come off as a hater in most c4 threads even though I love mine... I don't like them stock. The c4 imo is hands down the sexiest platform to mod from.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:28 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcm95403
I had a 99 C5 for 13 months and put about 28K on it.

Be forewarned, there are a lot of stupid little things like plastic sway bar end links that will need attention (about $125 for 4 of the metal Z06 versions and a couple of hours to swap them.

Don't bother with C6 Z06 shocks - waste of time and money as they don't last long at all, just get Bilsteins.

The early cars have a smaller diameter driveshaft with smaller bearings. When you replace the clutch (which won't be far off and AIN'T CHEAP!), you'll need to either have the whole assembly rebuilt or better yet, replace it with the better piece from a 2001-2004 car.

Oh, and go get yourself a turkey baster so that you can siphon out the clutch fluid every couple of thousand miles when it turns black. And if it's really black now, be forewarned that you'll probably need to replace some gears and synchro's in the trans. That's when you'll find out that you might as well just get the wide-ratio Z06 trans from a low-mileage crash job (and the stronger 3-rib diff while you're at it). The throwout bearings on the C5's and C6's have a design flaw and they suck clutch dust into the fluid when you shift. The fluid turns black, the contamination will ruin the throwout bearing slowly, which caused some gear grinding. Guess how I know all this???? All the items mentioned means you have a good $4,000 into a clutch job. It's called the "Ranger Method":

Hopefully the one you're looking at doesn't have the climate control or the memory package - neither one works well. Nothing like having the electronics randomly do stuff like change the radio station, move the seat, etc.

Oh, and all the aftermarket short shifters buzz and vibrate loudly, so don't bother with those either. The C6 Z06 shifter is a little better, but not that much of a difference.

A Vararam make a big difference at highway speeds, but watch out for injesting water and hydrolocking the engine.

An x-pipe will help improve sound and torque a little bit.

The Titanium Z06 mufflers are popular but only sound a little better - no real performance difference. If you want good exhaust that is close to stock configuration, do the x-pipe and a Flowmaster cat-back. The cat-back systems are stainless, so no more rust issues with them.

The 2001 and later intake manifold is a nice upgrade, but you'll need to remove the small ribs along the bottom of it to clear the water pipe. While you're in there, make sure to replace the oil pressure sender. When they fail you'll see your pressure climb until it eventually pegs the gauge.

C6 sway bars will bolt on so if you find a C6 guy who replaced his bars, it's a cheap upgrade. Make sure to check Pfadt's sway bar chart though - the C6 Z06's have a HUGE rear bar that doesn't work well on the C5.

Probably a lot more to tell, but I think you get the idea......
Thanxs Man that was real good just what I was looking for Vary Informitive
Old 05-13-2013, 12:30 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5abivt
Op all the best to you. In my opinion the c5 is a way better car except for styling which is subjective.

I probably come off as a hater in most c4 threads even though I love mine... I don't like them stock. The c4 imo is hands down the sexiest platform to mod from.

I feel the same way. They are and that Blue one is Sexy as Hell
Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

My dad had a couple c5's. I enjoyed them. Op, enjoy the c5. Like the c4 more, but that is just my preference.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:07 AM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cudamax
I agree Im keeping my 1985 but will be playing alot more with my full frame lighter higher horsepower better handling newer model
Good choice. I have an 88 which I've owned for twenty years, and a couple of years ago I bought an 01 Z06.I rarely drive the 88 anymore. I still like the car but the Z06 is much more fun to drive.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:37 AM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Test drive a C6 before you commit to a C5. Your opinion may well change again.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 AM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by PLRX
Do your homework before you buy a 97 Vette.
If a C5 is your thing go for it. But I'd stay away from the early models.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 AM
LTFORC4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow---kinda surprised by all the C-5 "problems"??? I say congrats and enjoy!!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:59 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

The original post here first comes off as a troll for sure, but the more I read, it sounds as though he may just really like his new "1997" C5, and is just trying to justify buying it saying how much better it is than a C4. (in his opinion) Liking a newer C5 after buying it is normal. Everybody likes a newer car. But immediately bashing the previously owned C4 on this C4 forum in his way was a bit weird. Each new generation of Corvette should be more advanced, but that doesn't mean the previous generation is a waste of time and money to the owner of it. Some of us (me) prefer the C4 over the newer generations even though we can easily afford one. I do wish him good luck with his C5, but he'll soon see all the things he may need to fix and the money he needs to spend especially with those high miles. They all cost money to keep up. Even the "far superior" C5.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 05-13-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM
bitsa85
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car makes me cry in my pants
Old 05-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Cygnus
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Everybody likes a newer car.
I'm sure glad that everyone doesn't doesn't fall into the latest and greatest. If they did there wouldn't be any 1,2,3,4 or 5th generations around for all of us to love.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Well, just an FYI, but if you had driving a 96 LT4 you might think different. The 97 C5's were slower IMHO and found that to be true when I used to race against them on the track in the late 90's. It wasn't until the LS1 got a pony upgrade in 99 I think that they pulled away from the LT4 C4.

End of the day though what is important is you get the car you like.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:53 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That is the Nicest most Sexiest C4 I've ever seen!!!!!!......Just AWESOME!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:57 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by 84wuzmy1st
I wouldn't say it's better, just different.
LOL ya the C5's make great beaters.....

Get notified of new replies

To Bye Bye C4 Here Comes C5

Old 05-13-2013, 03:30 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by We Gone
LOL ya the C5's make great beaters.....
Old 05-13-2013, 03:37 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cygnus
I'm sure glad that everyone doesn't doesn't fall into the latest and greatest. If they did there wouldn't be any 1,2,3,4 or 5th generations around for all of us to love.
Yea....your right. I should have said that some, not everyone, likes newer cars.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Oh, how did I forget THIS one????

The balancers on the LS's are press-fit, the rubber isolator was poorly made, and there is no keyway in the crank. The outer ring separates and either goes forward taking out your steering rack or backwards into your timing cover.

When you look at the car, check to see if it still has the original damper. If so, plan on getting the 25% under drive damper and a "crank pinning kit". The kit is a guide, drill bit and pin to prevent the damper from spinning on the crank hub. I'm pretty sure that the 25% u/d damper from Scoggin-Dickey (sdparts.com) comes with the good ARP crank bolt. They should have the pinning kit as well. Probably best to leave the installation of this to a good shop that has experience as they have to remove the rack to get to the damper, etc. You don't want some bone head drilling your crank and doing it wrong.

If the shop is good, they'll drop the rack with the outer tie rods ends attached so that you don't have to get an alignment on top of the $300-$400 bill for the work, plus another ~ $250 for the damper and pinning kit.

Oh, and shorty headers DO work well if you want to go that route.

On mine with the 25% pulley, LS-6 intake, shorty headers, x-pipe and Flowmasters it made 340 hp and 345 ft/lbs at the rear wheels - and that was just bolt-ons with the TINY stock cam. That combo would also get 36-37 mpg @ 65 and around 40 mpg @ 55 with the 6-speed:

Ignore that torque spike in the one run, it's an error:

Quick Reply: Bye Bye C4 Here Comes C5