C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

It's Not The Same As It Was In 2004 ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Huh. Interesting. That kind of work (frame off, etc) is precisely what has created the best relationships with a car for me. The car being what it is, because of me, my ideas and efforts...that it what created the best relationships that I've had with a car. I'm not "staring at the car" to see mystique. I'm staring at it, knowing and envisioning all the unique little things that lie ender the skin, that *I* did to it that make it special, better, MINE/me. There is no "mystique" in a new or stock car -its identical to every other car like it. In that case, it is...just a car. Once you put your own BS&T's into it though, your ideas it (for me) becomes something special.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:01 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

[B]
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Youre just getting older you start thinking more of safety

When youre young that stuffs for old guys

I dont get emotionally attached either. I can really like the car but its certainly not on par with a good dog or anything. Never named a car, talked to it stared at it for hours on end like it had magical powers. lol
Like the hobby, modding/driving yes. Just not the paying for it part

All that "mystique" went out the door when doing a frame off.

Once you see an old frame laying there crusty parts old bolts you see it exactly for what it is. A car.

]Well said,

To me, it seems silly when I hear people talking about a car like it was their wife or something and over the years they grew out of love.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Huh. Interesting. That kind of work (frame off, etc) is precisely what has created the best relationships with a car for me. The car being what it is, because of me, my ideas and efforts...that it what created the best relationships that I've had with a car. I'm not "staring at the car" to see mystique. I'm staring at it, knowing and envisioning all the unique little things that lie ender the skin, that *I* did to it that make it special, better, MINE/me. There is no "mystique" in a new or stock car -its identical to every other car like it. In that case, it is...just a car. Once you put your own BS&T's into it though, your ideas it (for me) becomes something special.

Tom, I can somewhat understand your point on a car like described above. One that you have a lot of labor in, changed to what you like, etc. I too have kept my c4 for about 12-13 years now. Gone through the motor, trans twice and the rear at least 5 times. I like the car and quite frankly, can spank the majority of C5's out there. For me its a fun car.
But so many of these post are coming up now basically talking about falling out of love with the C4 and now in love with a C5-6-7. Again, its not my wife and I now have a girlfriend. There is no emotion with it, its a car.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

If you like the C4 and want to remain a C4 owner, maybe you should find a nice 96. It won't feel like you're driving on the same platform.

Back in 93, I had an 84. Sold it and bought a new 96 CE. I couldn't believe how much different the car was.

Sure, I could buy a C5-C7 but I like the C4.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
But so many of these post are coming up now basically talking about falling out of love with the C4 and now in love with a C5-6-7.
Yeah, that makes sense. I'd say that if one is "falling out of love" with their C4, then they never really loved the thing in the first place.

An your right, it is a car and the term "love" probably (hopefully) isn't being used in the same way as with a wife, family member, etc.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:49 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Tom.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:13 PM
project C4
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

That is unfortunate for you. You are missing a major component to fun-car ownership.
yes sir !
Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 399 Posts

i remember seeing pictures of Lauren in another thread and i have to say that despite the age of the car and potential issues, i would be proud and honored to own such a nice car. the blue paint makes the car and i'm sure it is as stunning now as it was when you posted the pictures last year outside of that diner and at the Corvette show.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:46 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Hmmm ...

... interesting discussion I started, with some different and valid perspectives. I don't think I'm falling out of love with the car - I really was just trying to parse how things have changed over the years, in part because I've managed to make it a much nicer car.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:58 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 399 Posts

if you were able to repost the pics you posted a year or so back that would be awesome!! your car is amazing!! is it a 4+3 or automatic?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:38 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Here are my thoughts:

1. No TC/AH/ABS, SRS means? YOU are driving the car. YOU are responsible for your well-being...same as has been the case in cars for nearly 100 years...and only recently changed. Is that change good? Would you prefer to relinquish control and responsibility to a computer? That is a personal choice, but IMO, doing so is admitting that you're not a driver...your a passenger.

2. Based on your post (over all, not just what I quoted above), I'd say that it's time for you to re-asses your relationship w/the car. I had virtually the same situation going on with my C6 when I had it. Yes, I felt that it was fragile. Every time I took it out, it seemed to incur some kind of damage. I hated it, my relationship with it was no good and I was afraid of "hurting it" all the time. This will sound , but I feel (to this day) that my fear of something happening to it, caused things to happen to it.

I suggest that you either start beating on your car a little (drag track or auto-x) to prove to yourself that it really ISN'T weak (b/c it's not), or sell it and get something that you're psychologically "bought into".

I couldn't resolve all the "issues" that I had with my C6 and I didn't have a good relationship w/the car. I sold it.
OMG... I thought I was the only one who was that nuts. I totally get what you mean.

That said, when I drive my 93, it still feels pretty capable and relevant. Maybe you just need a later C4.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Firewalker11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not had my 1994 C4 long but these are the observations I have made:

People still stare at this car like it is a "new" model

After almost 20 years, EVERYTHING still works as designed

Every single time I have driven her, I get at least one compliment about the car

Give me a warm night with the top out and I swear it is therapy

I could buy any C series, I am in love with the C4.

This forum rocks!

Quick Reply: It's Not The Same As It Was In 2004 ...