[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by I知 Z one; 05-16-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-16-2013, 06:26 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I bought my prior 35th Anni in 2000 with 96k on the clock; it had 206k when it was hit late in 2011.

My replacement 35th Anni had 47k on the clock when I bought it last year which, at <2k/yr, I considered "low mileage".
Old 05-16-2013, 07:17 PM
LT4 F45
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader One
My '94 has 8,503 miles as of 5/15/2013.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
WOW 8503! That can be called LOW miles.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:44 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Axial
As long as a car looks good and drives well, I don't see that miles matter. I always thought that the whole reason low mileage was valuable was because it was sort of a guarantee that the car was in good shape no matter the age. If the car is obviously taken care of, mileage shouldn't be much of a factor in deciding value.

You have a good point. But....if you were the one buying a car and had two identical Corvettes to pick from with one having low mileage and the other having high mileage both listed at the same price, which one would you buy?
Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
You have a good point. But....if you were the one buying a car and had two identical Corvettes to pick from with one having low mileage and the other having high mileage both listed at the same price, which one would you buy?
That would not happen in our world (corvettes).

Low mileage vehicles actually scare me away. Mechanical and rubber/seals like to be kept moving and oiled otherwise they corrode or deteriorate. If you buy a very low mileage car and then put it to use you will soon find out what I mean.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:31 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
That would not happen in our world (corvettes).

Low mileage vehicles actually scare me away. Mechanical and rubber/seals like to be kept moving and oiled otherwise they corrode or deteriorate. If you buy a very low mileage car and then put it to use you will soon find out what I mean.
This is where you must be educated in exactly what you're buying. Documentation of the vehicles maintenance and repairs is a must. No one should buy an older very low mileage car where those items haven't been sorted out and expect to have a perfectly roadworthy car.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:24 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

But....if you were the one buying a car and had two identical Corvettes to pick from with one having low mileage and the other having high mileage both listed at the same price, which one would you buy?
I had exactly that decision when looking for my current 35th Anni. Found two of them, both on a dealer's lot, this one with 47k miles the other with 90+k miles.
After looking over this one and appraising drive train condition I went with "low mileage" for the "right price"...
Old 05-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
A fair exercise. If they are at the same price and are otherwise completely identical, I would take the lower mileage one. However, I think such a scenario highly improbable; one will always be less expensive, and there will always be some reason for that (which, as you said, is why you must always be educated about your purchase_. And, in this example, those low miles are not adding any value to the car.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:38 PM
I知 Z one
Melting Slicks

Received 242 Likes on 150 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Winner - Modified

Just because a car has low miles (in my case 8,500) you can't assume seals, rubber, etc... are dried up and the car is "deteriating" by not being used.

My car is started reguarly and driven often in the summer months but for short jaunts. When I want to go for long cruises I take my conertible out. Also, my Vette is well preserved 24/7 365 days a year where the climate is constant in the garage. I have yet to have any seals dry out nor have they needed replacing. My '94 leaks no fluids and the A/C blows ice cold w/ the factory charge. My weather stripping is flawless.

Again, if taken care of you will have nothing to worry about when it comes to buying a low mileage car.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:06 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoemedic
it's subjective in general due to the fact that low miles is also dependant on overall condition as well. Our cars in general don't typically fare as well if they sit for long periods without any mileage. Most cars in general will have leaks from gaskets drying out if left for extended periods of time without being driven.
this.

I work with vintage and exotics by trade. It's usually not good for a car is to sit unused for a long period of time. Especially if it's not maintained and stored correctly while it's not being used.

That said, a cruise down the road once a month to get it up to temp and the fluids flowing will do wonders vs. sitting for years unattended.

A proper storage environment (climate controlled) is also key to preventing dried out seals, weatherstrip, etc.

I recently bought a 2001 Mustang GT with 155,000 miles from the original owner. All highway miles and the car is a fantastic driver. No leaks anywhere and looks new underneath.

I rarely drive my 1993 Corvette anymore. I need the trunk space of the mustang. A few years (and very few miles ago) I disassembled the corvette for a complete repaint, new carpet, top, suspension bushings, wheel/tires, opti, water pump, plug/wires, the list goes on and on and on. I know this is the worse time to sell a C4 but, I can't stand to see the car just sit in the garage. It's up for sale as it really needs to be driven and enjoyed. Sitting will do the car no good.

Not bad for 100,000 miles:

Last edited by VtVette; 05-17-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Low miles?