Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Thinking about an LT4 powered car for a weekend fun car...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:30 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 528 Likes on 318 Posts

To me LT4 vs ZR1 is 6 in one, half a dozen in the other. The Z is a bit more unique and there are some parts that are getting expensive. The LT4 is basically an LT1 with a lot of different parts... parts that LT1 guys want when they rebuild, so they are easy to find. LT4 is easier and cheaper to mod.

They will both have their issues and people here will help with all the common ones if you can turn a wrench or two.

The C5 has a totally different feel to it. You really need to drive both. For a weekend car to run through the twisties, I'd go with a C4, the cockpit is tighter and feels more like a race car. For cruisin' easy, C5 wins because it is more comfortable but is still fast for sure.

I did what you are talking about doing... I had a 96 CE LT4 with Z51 in the garage and a beater Lincoln Town Car as my daily. Best of both worlds for me at the time.

Now I have a small fleet of cars
Old 06-10-2013, 02:12 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
Ahh ok, good to know. I didn't realize good examples of ZR1's could be had for less than 20k but it seems like they can. The one you linked to has me pondering...

I've never seen a GS for 15k that didn't have an ungodly amount of miles or was salvaged....I"ll have to go check it out!

A big part of me thinks the GS and LT4 cars will command the premium in 10, 15 or 20 years because there are just fewer of them...but I could be wrong on that, the ZR1 was clearly the king of the hill in terms of power and performance.
As far as ZR-1s go....you won't be sorry. Not a day goes by I don't lust after one. Of course, I have some bias due to it being my all time favorite Vette, but the car's history and contribution to the brand is part of the package deal so that is why it is appealing to me.

As far as the GS cars.... low mileage, red guts interior models command the premium and always will. The other convertibles and coupes with black interiors will hold their own but won't compare. ZR-1s right now hold their value better compared to pushrod C4s. I don't see LT5 cars going for as low as three grand but I see TPI cars even on this forum going for that much. Of course you could argue the original sticker of 50,000-70,000 is a big dip. They have hit a certain bottom market-wise and the only place is the upswing.

The complexity associated with modern Vettes will keep them all down for a while until the younger generations come into money that grew up with these cars. If you want to know more about it (and you should), ask around over in the ZR-1 section or better yet, head over to ZR1registry.net and do some research. Make an account and ask some questions. For me, the car's role in its history plays a big part, so between the two, the Z takes it for me. The fact that it's the quickest and fastest factory Corvette of its time doesn't hurt, either.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 06-10-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:20 PM
6SpeedTA95
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
As far as ZR-1s go....you won't be sorry. Not a day goes by I don't lust after one. Of course, I have some bias due to it being my all time favorite Vette, but the car's history and contribution to the brand is part of the package deal so that is why it is appealing to me.

As far as the GS cars.... low mileage, red guts interior models command the premium and always will. The other convertibles and coupes with black interiors will hold their own but won't compare. ZR-1s right now hold their value better compared to pushrod C4s. I don't see LT5 cars going for as low as three grand but I see TPI cars even on this forum going for that much. Of course you could argue the original sticker of 50,000-70,000 is a big dip. They have hit a certain bottom market-wise and the only place is the upswing.

The complexity associated with modern Vettes will keep them all down for a while until the younger generations come into money that grew up with these cars. If you want to know more about it (and you should), ask around over in the ZR-1 section or better yet, head over to ZR1registry.net and do some research. Make an account and ask some questions. For me, the car's role in its history plays a big part, so between the two, the Z takes it for me. The fact that it's the quickest and fastest factory Corvette of its time doesn't hurt, either.
Good points as usual sir. I certainly agree its a great car...but this car will be driven a few thousand miles a year...anywhere from 2,000 to 3,000 I would guess and I like to occasionally do some mild work myself which I'd be hesitant ot do on an LT5. Additionally, should a rebuild ever become necessary I can do a lot with an LT4 and still keep it "numbers" matching or at least keep some of the parts like heads etc...ultimately repair/running costs are a concern on the LT5 as parts are getting a bit pricey...

You definitely have me thinking hard about an LT5 car, it may come down to what I can find and when. I've already gotten insurance quotes on 1996 CE and it was surprisingly cheap.

I agree the LT5 has a significant history in the Corvette lineage, I also think you're right they've probably bottomed. LT5's tend to command a premium...if I went that route I'd probably prefer an unmodded 1993 car to get in on the head/cam revisions as well as the better upper end oiling. (Been a long time since I've researched this, please do not throw stones if that's wrong)

But I come back to the SBC having lineage and history as well and the LTx isnt necessarily a classic small block in that it features reverse cooling the LT4 marks the end of what I consider the traditional small block chevy. If my memory serves me right and it's been years, the LT4 cars also had less mass over the front wheels and on the ONE single back to back test drive I've done, it was noticeable...though not huge.

I think now I'm on the fence and it'll come down to what I can find when I'm ready to pull the trigger in 6 to 8 weeks.

edit: as for the younger generations thing you nailed it...I was born in 1981 and the C4 Corvette took my extreme like of cars and turned it into a craze...I'm making good money, piling money into savings and its time to indulge in my favorite hobby...CARS! I knew when I saw the L98 under the hood of my parents friends car I was hooked...and immediately started getting car magazines and subscribing for my birthday/christmas gifts etc. The LT1 was the mainstream game changer IMO (not wanting to start a major debate because you could argue it was the L98 in 1985) and really upped the power ante on the C4. It was driveable, powerful from idle to near redline and easily modded...then came the LT4 which was the car I lusted after for years.

Last edited by 6SpeedTA95; 06-10-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:18 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
Good points as usual sir. I certainly agree its a great car...but this car will be driven a few thousand miles a year...anywhere from 2,000 to 3,000 I would guess and I like to occasionally do some mild work myself which I'd be hesitant ot do on an LT5. Additionally, should a rebuild ever become necessary I can do a lot with an LT4 and still keep it "numbers" matching or at least keep some of the parts like heads etc...ultimately repair/running costs are a concern on the LT5 as parts are getting a bit pricey...

You definitely have me thinking hard about an LT5 car, it may come down to what I can find and when. I've already gotten insurance quotes on 1996 CE and it was surprisingly cheap.

I agree the LT5 has a significant history in the Corvette lineage, I also think you're right they've probably bottomed. LT5's tend to command a premium...if I went that route I'd probably prefer an unmodded 1993 car to get in on the head/cam revisions as well as the better upper end oiling. (Been a long time since I've researched this, please do not throw stones if that's wrong)

But I come back to the SBC having lineage and history as well and the LTx isnt necessarily a classic small block in that it features reverse cooling the LT4 marks the end of what I consider the traditional small block chevy. If my memory serves me right and it's been years, the LT4 cars also had less mass over the front wheels and on the ONE single back to back test drive I've done, it was noticeable...though not huge.

I think now I'm on the fence and it'll come down to what I can find when I'm ready to pull the trigger in 6 to 8 weeks.

edit: as for the younger generations thing you nailed it...I was born in 1981 and the C4 Corvette took my extreme like of cars and turned it into a craze...I'm making good money, piling money into savings and its time to indulge in my favorite hobby...CARS! I knew when I saw the L98 under the hood of my parents friends car I was hooked...and immediately started getting car magazines and subscribing for my birthday/christmas gifts etc. The LT1 was the mainstream game changer IMO (not wanting to start a major debate because you could argue it was the L98 in 1985) and really upped the power ante on the C4. It was driveable, powerful from idle to near redline and easily modded...then came the LT4 which was the car I lusted after for years.
If you know your way around a wrench, you'd be surprised how easy they can be to work on. Also, those that are really passionate about them can be very helpful for virtually all aspects of maintaining the car. They aren't immortal but if you treat them right with proper maintenance and upkeep, they can take whatever you throw at them. I helped an older ZR-1 owner tune up his 91' some years back. He was under the impression that they just didn't make anything for the car anymore, a common belief, and he was ready to sell it as is. Well, he wanted a ridiculous price for it and I knew he would never get even half what he wanted....he wanted $45,000. Ran ragged even in "full" mode and some days just would stall out completely.

I introduced him to the wonders of the internet and dispelling some of the myths about the car, including the parts he thought didn't exist. Off came the plenum and we replaced all his coil packs, new gaskets, plugs, wires and a coolant flush. I also gave the plenum, TB, injector housings, and secondary throttles and linkages the once over. Now granted the plug wires did not have the coveted Corvette LT5 script, they were still red with no script, which was good enough for me if it meant the car would start again.

Whole process was over a two day period, just taking our time. Car cranked right up and he was in disbelief and almost in tears....he never thought it would ever run again, he thought it was too complex to fix. We took it out for a drive and he surprised me when he pulled over off the interstate and let me behind the wheel for a few gears in it but it was his baby so I was short shifting and enjoying the aftermarket exhaust growling.

I let him have the wheel again after a while and he decided to go through the first four gears pedal to the floor, aggressive shifting. Car didn't miss a beat and wow it pulls! You have to drive one.....I am spoiled by it. Even one of these centuries when I finally get this 383 built, it'll be faster than a factory LT5 and more power but it won't be a ZR-1. And I'll always want an LT5.

It's an overly complicated mess by todays standards with 16 injectors and secondary throttle plates when today's Vettes don't need that stuff to make big power. But if you keep it in perspective for it's time, it was a technological marvel of an engine. The 1993 model is probably THE best of all the years. Yes, the last is always the latest and greatest, collector wise, but 93' meant 405 hp and you could still have the interior which wrapped around you. I'd still be happy with one of the "slow" ZR-1s like a 1990. And I am turning the fanboy switch off now. Enthusiast has such a nicer ring to it.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 06-10-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, remember that today's 'Vettes are tyically 6.2 litres versus the 5.7 litres in the LT motors. That and the shape of the intake manifold are where the new power comes from. I'd say that the LT5 is no more or less complex than any other DOHC motor; it's just special over here in Corvette-land because it's the only DOHC motor ever put in our cars from the factory.

If looking at ZR-1s, I would suggest a '90. While the 1990 was the most numerously produced ZR-1, it has a unique look. Without the black belt-line contrasting against a bright colour, the entire look of the car is lost in the sea of '91-'96 'Vettes. The '90 ZR-1 also looks so much more aggressive with those vertical fender vents. Gorgeous. If only it had debuted in MY1989 with the Atari dash! I've also read that there wasn't much of a difference in feel between the 375 and 405 HP cars. Oh, and the 1990 is also the easiest to obtain, financially.

While I would love to drive a ZR-1 and experience their legendary "pull" for myself, I will say that my LT4 is certainly no slouch. It yanks clear up to 6000 and while you can feel it start to run out of puff at 6300, this is actually a boon because that's where the red-line is and that means if you shift there, you'll be shifting your revs back down onto a torque peak in the 5700-6000 area. It's quite nice. I also get far more conversations going with my car than the fellows with ZR-1s; you would be surprised at how many Corvette owners are unfamiliar with the LT4; the red intake manifold somehow makes them think it is either a ZR-1 or modded. Even those that are aware of them see them at shows less often than LT5s and so they want to talk about them.

Last edited by Axial; 06-11-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:39 AM
RedZeplin
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LT4 owner here. I know there is a red one with around 60k on the clock that is a two owner car. I will look for the link later if you are interested.

I personally would love a zr1. I know they have a close knit community to get the parts needed, but they are still costly. I would love to take a ride in one shifting at 7k. There is something very very beautiful about the song of a sbc in higher rpms.

I bought my lt4 about a month ago. She is quite wonderful. I flew from Texas to california to pick her up sight unseen other than pictures.

My lt4 is like a **** star that knows everything to do in the bedroom in a virgin's body. She's tight with no squeaks or rattles and pulls through each and ever gear where u feel it in your chest. You can watch her nose raise with the pressure of the left pedal and her *** sits.

I love corvettes through and through. But the c4 is my favorite body style. A brittish guy described the c4 as the car that looks like it is doing 100mph while sitting still. Is the c5 a better car? Well hell yeah but she has a fat *** in my opinion. I love the way the c4 cockpit feels so tight. I am not a big dude and it grips me and I feel like part of the machine while driving it. I really don't know how big dudes would fit in the c4 without a shoe horn to squeeze em in.

10/10 would buy this car again. I previously owned a 91 l98 with the 700r4 transmission. It would snap your neck back when you punched it doing 30ish downshifting into 1st. It ran good but in my opinion ran out of breathe at 4kish.

The lt4 pulls hard up to redline each and every sweet gear. In my opinion the c4 was the turning point for corvettes. And the 96 had the best technology of the c4's. I bought mine saying she was going to be a weekend driver but honestly I drive her most days because of the smile it puts on my face and even of others. I will be at a stop light and see a kid in the backseat of the mom mobile and they smile real wide. I have old men at the store that will stop me and tell me about the vette they owned and say how beautiful mine is. One old man actually made the statement "Do you think chevrolet had to reorder red after your car was made?" hahaha

I love the c4 for all the reasons I stated previous to this and the fact you don't see them very often anymore. I see a lot more c5's and c6's each and every day. I maybe biased but 96 was the pinnacle of when technology and performance met beauty. Good luck op in whatever you decide but I really don't think you would regret for a moment buying a lt4. Unless you bought a c4Z. And if I bought a z i would deffinetly want a 93-95 Z but there was not many produced and you can expect to pay for them.

Thanks for reading and Good Luck!

Last edited by RedZeplin; 06-12-2013 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Edit : Wanted to add one last though on why a 96
Old 06-12-2013, 03:13 AM
RedZeplin
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to add to my previous post First off I drive barefoot. Would I climb in bed with my shoes on? Hell no! I decided to go for a little spirited drive on a private road in mexico of course and was taking a curve about 25mph faster than what was advised and accelerating when all the sudden she said to me easy there fella and kicked out to my right foot a hair.

Traction control is a wonderful thing and that is such a wonderful thing. I sure love my girl and gonna treat her to some techron tomorrow. Happy motoring and remember keep the rubber side down!

Last edited by RedZeplin; 06-12-2013 at 03:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an LT4 powered car for a weekend fun car...thoughts?