C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Front spoiler replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:17 AM
SpidArman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front spoiler replacement?

Has anyone had luck with a creative alternative to the lip spoiler at the bottom of a 91-96? I know we can replace ours for $46 for all 3 sections, but I was looking for a slightly different look. Has anyone tried using on of those universal lip spoilers and customizing it to the C4?
Old 07-27-2013, 08:25 AM
biggrizzly
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

For years I used a Big Mouth Air Dam (BMAD) in place of the factory piece. Recently I purchased a three piece air dam with brake cooling ducts and modified it to my liking. Hooked up hoses and I like it a whole lot. Here's a link to the one I used.

http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette...ts_p_5938.html

BMAD type air scoops can easily be made from sheet aluminium or even tin if desired, then painted.

As far as what I did to the three piece unit... I riveted the three pieces together where they join to add rigidity and continuity to the front spoiler. I also found it necessary to rivet the brake cooling hoses onto the brake ducts as they would not stay with just a tie-wraps provided in the kit. Overall it is a nice kit with some minor modifications. It really needs cooling hose backing plates at the spindles to really make this a truly complete kit. DRM sells the backing plate for cooling hoses to the brakes.
Also - you might want to put some screen over the air inlet area to prevent frogs, leaves, birds and small children from being sucked up into the cooling system.

Last edited by biggrizzly; 07-27-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Front spoiler replacement?